Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do-over

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Yeah never post like that again

@Bleys- Ah I see, that's what I get for not reading through the whole thread
    Well I believe I'd do what Milf touched on and use my present knowledge to go back and raise myself to genius status whilst being a small child. For a person who didn't much care for school I'm an academic at heart and would use the opportunity to build such a base of knowledge to be comparable to 'the greats' throughout history.
    This being stated, are we limiting ourselves to our past, or can we travel back further? If so I would travel twice, the first time to achieve vast knowledge and the second to go about 70 years in the past and make some lucrative business deals and steal 'future' discoveries.
    Although this brings up the question of "Well Will, if you travel back into your own past and age appropriately while retaining the knowledge you have now... how are you going to travel to the time before your own birth and not cease to exist?" The answer is simple, this is a hypothetical situation and one could make the assumption that if you had the technological capability of time travel you could also have a way to get past this particular paradox.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but it's fun to think about.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

There are certain wisdoms that do not benefit from being forced to relive certain parts of life. For example even if I were to decide to travel back in time to grade 9 (high school) it wouldn't matter. Or grade 10 so I could hang out with my crush before she cut her hair short and now looks nasty (I would fall for her all over again)

There are also very disturbing reasons to go back in time. For example I would be mentally 31 y/o in a child's body. So.....

Yeah this is sick bleys.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Unbreakable Will View Post
    @Bleys- Ah I see, that's what I get for not reading through the whole thread
    Well I believe I'd do what Milf touched on and use my present knowledge to go back and raise myself to genius status whilst being a small child. For a person who didn't much care for school I'm an academic at heart and would use the opportunity to build such a base of knowledge to be comparable to 'the greats' throughout history.
    I've already answered that--the pressure would make you less happy. That's not a benefit, it's a net loss

This being stated, are we limiting ourselves to our past, or can we travel back further?
    You go back in time, you're in your own body as it was at the time. So if you try to go back to before you were born, you have no body to occupy. Hard to say whether you'd be able to observe, let alone affect anything. You certainly wouldn't be able to benefit from it in any substantive manner.

If so I would travel twice, the first time to achieve vast knowledge and the second to go about 70 years in the past and make some lucrative business deals and steal 'future' discoveries.
    Although this brings up the question of "Well Will, if you travel back into your own past and age appropriately while retaining the knowledge you have now... how are you going to travel to the time before your own birth and not cease to exist?" The answer is simple, this is a hypothetical situation and one could make the assumption that if you had the technological capability of time travel you could also have a way to get past this particular paradox.
    Again, you can't violate physics (excepting the time travel itself). A thought experiment is pointless if you throw in magic powers. That being said, since you're traveling into your own past body and aging is a physiological process, it stands to reason that the time spent in the past doesn't accelerate your age -- when you're done your journey into the past, you return to the present at the same instant you left, possibly without anybody noticing (aside from any changes to your posture and bearing), so years spent traveling through your past != fewer remaining years until death.

So there's a benefit nobody thought of -- go back and relive your life at the instant before death, so you effectively get to live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    (I would fall for her all over again)
    There's an interesting new question: Would you? If I open up my high school yearbooks and look at girls I used to have a crush on, I see...a child. Going back in time, is one's perception of attractiveness determined by one's body, or mind? It's easy to look back and wonder what you were thinking as an adult, sans the raging hormones of the teenage years...but is it really that simple? I wonder what it would be like...

I personally think that I'd still be unable to foster any romantic feelings for a teenager even if I were back in a teenager's body myself, but that's because I'm in my thirties and teenagers are eww, to use the parlance.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

ridiculous assertion. At the risk of being awesomely creepy they are teenagers and I have the mind (by then) of a 45 year old man trapped with the raging hormones of a teenager.

In fact these two facts alone are enough justification for me to want to time travel to my younger self.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I probably wouldn't. I never properly developed communication skills, and I'd want to change that, but going back in time would probably just make the problem worse.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I never properly developed communication skills
    You type in complete, grammatically-correct sentences, which puts you ahead of 95% of the internet. You'll have to think of a better reason to go back in time than that.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I never properly developed communication skills
    You type in complete, grammatically-correct sentences, which puts you ahead of 95% of the internet. You'll have to think of a better reason to go back in time than that.
    It's not a good one, which is why I said I probably wouldn't go!

I would enter college at 19. It's pretty awkward to be 24 and a freshman, besides I would be done with the whole ordeal by now . Other than that I'm pretty comfortable with where life has taken me

FFXIV Character

Jenna Solis (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Melissaur View Post
    I would go back and not get married.... Worst mistake ever
    Can't agree. If I went back in time and never married, then my daughter would not be born. best "mistake" I ever made. I love her and she is worth any heart ache I may have suffered if you want to call it that.

As Tallulah Bankhead once said, "If I had my life to live again. I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."

I concur.

Well lucky for me I had my daughter before I was married. Best non-mistake ever! I love her!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I would go back in time one minute before this thread was made and make it before Bleys so he looks like a copy cat and is banned and I take one more step to my dominance over Eyes on Final Fantasy.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If lack of originality was a bannable offense, this forum would have collapsed like a black hole years ago.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

That was a mistype on my part. Your banning would be a result of something different.

I change my answer to "Go back in time 5 minutes ago and not make that post because now I feel like a fool as well am one"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Indeed, let us replace the edit feature with freaking time travel.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Editing the post doesn't change the fact that you saw it. Editing is also greatly inferior to time travel in terms of badassity.