Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Bartz the leader?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco Why is Bartz the leader?

Bartz is considered to be the "leading character" in FFV by fans but really, why is he the leader? I mean Faris was a captain of a pirate ship, and is far more level headed than most of the cast. After Galuf loses his amnesia, he's a veteran warrior and actually has experience in beating Ex-Death, Lenna/Reina is a princess with training to take over a smurfing kingdom and Krile is in the same boat. So how does a wandering drifter get to be de-facto leader.

Was he just charming, good in bed, or was it mysterious Chocobo related powers...

Cause smurf you.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Isn't he the descendant of one of the Four Heroes anyway? I suppose that gives him some decent cred. But man, you always let the drifter type be the leader as they're super cool. And cool defeats monsters always.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Because he was the first playable character in the game.

Also because of Galuf's amnesia, he has the most adventuring experience.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I know he is considered the defacto leader because he is the games main character, but in game do they ever reference him as the leader?

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Isn't he the descendant of one of the Four Heroes anyway? I suppose that gives him some decent cred. But man, you always let the drifter type be the leader as they're super cool. And cool defeats monsters always.

This is how it has always, and always, will work.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think all of the characters really have a decent claim to being the leader really. As Jiro said, the fact that his father was one of the original Four Heroes is probably the biggest thing going for him. That and it's always fun to have a protagonist who's just out adventurin' and then gets caught up in stuff miles above his station, as Bartz does.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Same reason Vaan is, I suppose.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Though he is the protagonist, I don't know anyone who considers Vaan the leader of their little group.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah it's not like in golden sun (dark dawn) where they constantly talk about matthews leader-status
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I don't know what you're talking about. I put Faris on top and she was leading the group the entire game. Except for the beginning and Butz went off to have loliventures with Krile at the start of Act 3.

Waitaminute, maybe that's why. Cause he's always just there and if you don't kill him off, he's a higher level than everyone.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Though he is the protagonist, I don't know anyone who considers Vaan the leader of their little group.
    Exactly. He's not! He just went first is all.

Blog Entries

Maybe cause Square wanted you to feel like a part of the adventure and he was your own character who originally (in game) didn't have a default name. Its much like Tidus in Final Fantasy X.

For some reason I look at him as leader cause of how I set up my party in 1,3, and 5. Knight, Black Mage, White Mage, Thief. I support the knight as leader cause he is the basic strength behind the party. The other characters are great but the knight is a much more real role to play.

Also having him as the character who travels around helps. I think you can switch who it is that walks around towns and the world map. Although I'm not sure. It's nice to have him as leader cause while other characters has their role, Bartz looks after everyone and makes the hard decisions. I'm sure if someone else was leader we would have a topic asking why the someone else is leader. :P
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Same reason Vaan is, I suppose.
    Oh, cause people are stupid, I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    Also having him as the character who travels around helps. I think you can switch who it is that walks around towns and the world map. Although I'm not sure. It's nice to have him as leader cause while other characters has their role, Bartz looks after everyone and makes the hard decisions. I'm sure if someone else was leader we would have a topic asking why the someone else is leader. :P
    Not really, cause as I pointed out, pretty much everyone, but Bartz has more experience being a leader than he did. Faris alone is far more qualified than most of the cast.

Bartz definitely gets the least character development. Maybe that is why he is considered the "leader"? Like Chrono, or Cloud, the mostly silent protagonist that you role-play as. At least, I don't remember Bartz saying much in FFV.

But I actually don't think there is a leader in this game or in many of the other FF games. FFVI, it was argued on whether Terra, Locke, or Celes was the leader. In a way, Dissidia has established Terra as the leader in FF canon, but I don't think that was the original intent. Obviously, those three characters are the main characters of the game though. FF didn't return to this formula until Final Fantasy 12, and I think the only reason photos of Vaan were prominent when advertising the game was just marketing. They wanted to make an illusion of a main character, following the popularity of Cloud, Squall, Tidus, etc. But Vaan isn't the main character, if anyone is, it is Ashe. Finally, Lightning isn't the "leader" of Final Fantasy XIII either. She is on the box and pictured the most. But she doesn't have a greater bearing on the story than any of the other characters. She is "marketed" as the leader... in fact, female cloud. But she's not.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.