Thread: The evil cartel of... interior designers?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default The evil cartel of... interior designers?

"Licensed" interior designers have long been acting like 5-year-olds, constantly screaming and bullying for any attention and respect. The "debate" on whether people should need to pay licensing fees to call themselves interior designers has reached a peak in the Florida legislature. Regarding that article, one person commented that "judging from the speeches of the protectionists in this article, you’d think that state interior design licensing is the only thing keeping us from plague, pestilence, and a civilization-ending collision with a meteor."

As always when I hear about this stuff, I am utterly baffled. These interior designers are completely smurfing full of themselves and show an unbelievable level of self-delusion about their impact on society.

So if interior designers require licensing, what else should follow? Maybe lemonade stands, house cleaning services, or internet message board staff?

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You tryna get me fired from staff, bro?

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Did you not get a license to be a moderator? Shame on you, Megan. It only requires attending 5 classes at a cost of $50 each, passing a 3-hour test that costs $65, and annual dues of $150 to be certified by the International Board of Serious Internet Administration (Seriously) (IBSIAS). Certainly such mild regulations would not inhibit anyone from wanting to be an internet message board moderator and would function to protect the quality of such a vital position.

Articles
    Blog Entries

pretty ironic how america is becoming more and more like a communist state instead of the government protecting free enterprise
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

So.. what's the penalty for unlicensed interior design? $200 fine and a ban from all decorating stores?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That's a bit of a joke. Aren't artsy sort of people supposed to be free to do whatever and be in tune with the spirits?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

They should make you have to have a license to do the dishes so that I could purposely fail the exam and never have to do dishes again.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They decorate houses, why would they need a license? o_O Aren't licenses usually reserved for stuff worthwhile like guns and cars?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    So.. what's the penalty for unlicensed interior design? $200 fine and a ban from all decorating stores?
    There is a fine in the states that do prohibit a non-licensed person from calling himself an "interior designer." I don't know how much it is.

I was just reminded that the American Association of Interior Designers (which lobbies states to pass these laws) responded to the first article I linked to in the OP. The full response is here, but there's one quote from it that is so amazing that it deserves emphasis:

Quote Originally Posted by ASID
    Would he suggest that lawyers, doctors and engineers get their training on-line?
    I think that speaks for itself.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The ASID vs Feng Shui Experts. Who would win?

There is a fine in the states that do prohibit a non-licensed person from calling himself an "interior designer." I don't know how much it is.
    Hello, my name is Bunny D. Harris and I am a professional room decor expert. Would you like to see my pastels?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Actually there was some sort of issue with a lemonade stand here in Florida not too long ago

FFXIV Character

Jenna Solis (Sargatanas)

God help us if unlicenced Interior Designers invaded our homes and redecorated them! Can you imagine the horror when your friends and family entered your house and realized that the designer you chose had no licence?!?! Why, you'd be the laughing stock of the whole neighborhood!!!