Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most overpowered characters in gaming...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Most overpowered characters in gaming...

Like the last thread I made, this one stems from a conversation I had with a friend about characters in games who are just sickeningly overpowered. There were rules of course...

1) No main characters, they are usually overpowered smurfs to begin with.

2) No major exploitation of the battle system, i.e. with VIII's Junction system, any character can solo the game so it has more to do with the system than what is inherent in the character itself.

There is a rule 3 but I'll ignore it for now.

So who are the most overpowered characters in gaming who just suddenly make the game either a breeze or finally give you a fighting chance.

There's always the Cid in Tactics.

Baird is the most powerful of all the Gears of War characters just because.

awww no main characters?

Would've said:
    ONE WORD: STARKILLER!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't think of a single example since you've already taken out the main characters.

Kratos from Tales of Symphonia.

Simply having him in your party made it impossible to lose.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Do you mean overpowered as in game mechanics?

BOF II was pretty overpowered with Blue. She is everything Nina is, but better.

And she can regenerate her health...

Outside of optional characters, I'd say Rand is probably your strongest player, though I'm not sure he'd be overpowered. He's an amazing tank, even with his poor equipment. His physical attack is solid, and he's got amazing Healing magic.

In any version of FF IV virutally any problem is solvable by a berserked and hasted Edge, and since you can pull this off without the need of caster due to Items, though even then I'm not sure I'd put this to overpowered.

Though an obviously overpowered character is Wild Arms 3 with Clive. Never improve his guns ammo, the two shots before reload is all you need. Just boost up accuracy, power, and a bit into critical hit. Spend one round buffing him, proceed to kill any boss in 2-3 hits. So 4 or 5 rounds if it's a huge HP boss. Without an attack from anyone but Clive. Really everyone else damage output is so pitiful by comparison there isn't a point in attacking with them.

The Wild Arms PSP game had a guy who could, with 100% accuracy, break any enemies weapon. And virtually every enemy in the game is human, so its effective on probably 70% of the guys in the game. And it works on human bosses.

And in Dragon Age 2, Meril is a smurfing beast.

She, my mage, was the only one of my three companions alive, and this was at the start of a battle the other two were killed. I sat back and watch my Mage be swarmed, and just massacring everything, taking no damage. That should not happen.

In Earthbound, with a couple Bottle Rockets Jeff could take out any boss. So for most battles, Jeff is pretty damned over powered.

Blog Entries

can it be an enemy or NPC?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Has to be playable.

I would like to vote Citan Uzuki from Xenogears. He has as much HP as Heavy tank characte Rico, is the strongest character in your party before he gets a weapon at the end of the first disc (at which point, the man just never leaves your party) and he is also the fastest character in the game, the fact he has healing and buff spells just adds salt in the wound.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A playable, but not main character? That would seem to narrow the field almost completely... I suspect I'm missing some obvious examples, so could you name a few?

Blog Entries

Jin in Tekken 4 was broken and overpowered with his unblockable, quickly charged, EWGF launcher. He was the main character, but a fighting game should have balanced characters.

And perhaps Edgar when you first get him in FF6. Autocrossbow kills just about everything for a good while.

Blog Entries

mewtwo

there was a picture here

How about Jecht from Dissidia: Final Fantasy (not Duodecim)? His unblockable combos (unless you had your EX-gauge full to EX-block him out of the combo) were really overpowered.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Lu Bu. Nuff sed.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Lu Bu. Nuff sed.
    In Lu Bu's defense, he is kind of a bad ass.