Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Vaan problem?

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

I like Vaan, i saw him as a blank canvas. I made him extremly diverse, making him my trump card that could fight in all areas. Which is how he is shown on dissidia. While the other stuck with their original weapon class.
    At the very least, you can see why he wanted to continue to fight with the others. Penelo on the other hand, was thrown into this massive event and only stuck around because of Vaan. She is way more pointless.

I dont understand how Vaan could see the prince of dalmasca's spirit though. I kinda just thought that the writers were trying to intergrate into the story more.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by *Devore* View Post
    I dont understand how Vaan could see the prince of dalmasca's spirit though. I kinda just thought that the writers were trying to intergrate into the story more.
    Vaan is actually seeing his own brother. Notice how he no longer sees him after Jahara when he tells Ashe he's done running from his problems!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by *Devore* View Post
    Vaan is actually seeing his own brother. Notice how he no longer sees him after Jahara when he tells Ashe he's done running from his problems!
    Yeah, I think the Occuria wanted to have Vaan as a failsafe. Turns out he did better than Ashe...

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Vaan looks even more like a child in Final Fantasy Tactics A2 than he did in the original game. As I grow older, I find it much harder to relate with childish protagonists.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Vaan van douschenburg
    Thats pretty amazing
    anyway I just ignored Vaan throughout the story and when he did talk, I wanted him to shut up.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't mind Vaan all that much, especially since whenever he did get annoying, the game felt the same way and made it known. Really, you're party is mean to him, it's not like Yuffie, Selphie, Hope, or Rikku's shenanigans where they would say or do something stupid and you party just smiled while they shook their had and put their arms on their waist and just said "Oh you..."

When Vaan pulled it was literally your party either trying to ignore him existing or Ashe warning him that's he's going back into the box. I can appreciate that.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

My favorites are when he goes on his I'M CAPTAIN BASCH mission and Balthier's like "well okay you go do that" and when he asks Fran how old he is and everyone just gives him the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I didn't mind Vaan all that much, especially since whenever he did get annoying, the game felt the same way and made it known. Really, you're party is mean to him, it's not like Yuffie, Selphie, Hope, or Rikku's shenanigans where they would say or do something stupid and you party just smiled while they shook their had and put their arms on their waist and just said "Oh you..."
    I guess the most redeeming factor of FF8 is that Squall face palms at his party all the time for doing stupid things. Which is brilliance.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Oh Hope you and your silly murder plots.

The expectation to be the main character and looking like Bambi doesn't do him any favors. If they had kept Basch in the lead (so far as this game can have one), I feel like people wouldn't mind him. To me he never did anything particularly annoying. He hardly did anything at all, which seems to be the major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Oh Hope you and your silly murder plots.
    Kids these days!

I was kind of indifferent to Vaan. He just sort of... existed. After Tidus I'd become immune to idiocy so I just sort of ignored him. (For the record, I like Tidus, but he really was kind of a dumbass.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    After Tidus I'd become immune to idiocy so I just sort of ignored him. (For the record, I like Tidus, but he really was kind of a dumbass.)
    lol... xDd

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I was kind of indifferent to Vaan. He just sort of... existed. After Tidus I'd become immune to idiocy so I just sort of ignored him. (For the record, I like Tidus, but he really was kind of a dumbass.)
    Yes, yes, yes. Apart from the part where you said you like Tidus. I didn't. I couldn't stand him. I didn't like Vaan, nor did I really dislike him. I thought he had many annoying moments, but every time I compare him to Tidus, Vaan turns out to be an amazing character.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. Apart from the part where you said you like Tidus. I didn't. I couldn't stand him. I didn't like Vaan, nor did I really dislike him. I thought he had many annoying moments, but every time I compare him to Tidus, Vaan turns out to be an amazing character.
    -looks back at the laughing scene with yuna&tidus- Well I have to agree with you there. The second time (First time beaten) I played X I put Yuna and Tidus in a "who is stupider/more annoying" competition. It was close for most of the game but Tidus came out on top. Tidus... you will always have a soft spot for being a useful character who I wanted to punch in the face.
    Vaan I more or less forgot about most of the time, he doesn't really do much at all.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Pink Grin

I think I'm one of few who hasn't got a problem with Vaan! I hear nothing but hate when it comes to Vaan. For some reason, he's been consistently good in battle and never out of my main party, I can tolerate him on and off battlefield. I actually found him quite pleasant! I liked the fact he wasn't the main character in the end (FFXII in my mind is truly Ashe's story), he didn't really try and hog the spotlight and go all whiny and angsty. To be honest, I always chuckled at Vaan's stupidity: i.e. asking Fran her age, NAMING names ("Right Basch?" [Basch sighs exasperated]) when Balthier said not to name names in Bhujerba... XD

Each to their own when it comes to character preferences, but I actually like Vaan!

Of course when Gabranth came into the picture with his helmet off, I did completely ignore Vaan (and the rest of the party) :P
    "If something were to happen to me, all the world's women would grieve!" - The ever modest Edgar Roni Figaro