Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A Vaan problem?

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I love Vann because I get to be one of the most annoying characters of all time. And by that I mean annoying to the populace in the game. I get to go around town shouting idiotic propaganda! Awesome!
    "I'm Captain Basch! Don't listen to Ondore's lies!"

That was a fun part of the game. Vaan isn't so bad. Most games have this sort of character to take away from the seriousness of the storyline.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Zack's Crotch View Post
    It kind of stinks you know. XII had great customization, gameplay, and a good idea of a story, but very little character development and a perhaps too open environment for the expected audience, while xiii had almost nothing but character development and a story that quickly got lost in the catalog and super linear repetitive gameplay.
    If you could combine the two games, you would likely have much more of an unforgettable experience.

I think that the earlier games captured that feeling with players quite well. It would be hard to do it in today's landscape. I mean, sometimes I feel like certain aspects of a title are great, but I find myself saying things like, "Well, if only this game had the [insert trait here] of the last game," or something similar if that makes sense.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I like Vaan.

He's fine in a way that, compared to other protagonists of FF series, he doesn't stand as much. Okay, Squall's all cool with gunblade, Zidane is very optimistic with everything. Cloud, well. He's emo but he fights for what he protects. Tidus, he's a blitzball star! But when it comes to Vaan, it seems to me that he's designed not to be "imba". He's just somewhat normal who aspires to be a Sky Pirate, but during that his fate intertwines with the main story's plot.

One thing that bugs me in Ivalice is that, every Hume "male" can go out topless. Gay guys hmm.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miriel View Post
    I understood Vaan's role as the average kid caught up in this big adventure. It probably works better in a novel, but in a game I prefer the 'main character' to have some more relevance to what's going on around him. Whenever I play games there is always a naive kid getting mixed up in a big adventure in a grand world. Myself! I don't need there to be two of me.

Also he needs to put on a shirt.
    Ugh I know, get rid of those ugly abs!

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack's Crotch View Post
    It kind of stinks you know. XII had great customization, gameplay, and a good idea of a story, but very little character development and a perhaps too open environment for the expected audience, while xiii had almost nothing but character development and a story that quickly got lost in the catalog and super linear repetitive gameplay.
    If you could combine the two games, you would likely have much more of an unforgettable experience.

I think that the earlier games captured that feeling with players quite well. It would be hard to do it in today's landscape. I mean, sometimes I feel like certain aspects of a title are great, but I find myself saying things like, "Well, if only this game had the [insert trait here] of the last game," or something similar if that makes sense.
    I may stand mostly alone here, but I felt the characters in XIII were horrid. To me, they were some of the worst the series has ever seen.