Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing FF4...Again

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't remember there being 12 bosses in the final dungeon and if you died and have to fight them all again then I have to say that it's your fault for not saving before you fought Zeromus. Also if you were low on items you could've used warp and went back to get some more.

My Overall Thoughts on The Game

I really enjoyed myself. I can see how this is rightly called the "foundation" for the series as a whole. For instance the way most of the games develop their characters is taken directly from this game. Introduce character then give them a little story arc then just kinda have them around. I was a bit disappointed by how brief these arcs were but I guess that's a product of the time.

Anyway I think my favorite character was Tellah. He seemed have the clearest ane most detailed character. His motivation was simple but it also had the most emphasis put on it to the point he stood out amongst everyone else.
    His end was quite tragic... Not only could he not defeat Golbez but he understood, too late, that revenge was not what his daughter would have wanted him to waste his life on.

Anna's spirit should have just let Edward stay a pussy and gone to tell her father this.

I gotta say if I'm dissatisfied with any character in the game it's Rosa. I'm not one to point out "that's a cliche!" or "it's been done before!" but she's such a bland, unremarkable love interest that I can't help it. I'd almost rather have Rinoa than Rosa because an annoying personality is better than practically none.

My favorite moments in the game... Damn, so many great ones.
    I guess #1 has to be Palom and Porom turning themselves to stone. As I noted earlier I had already played this game some and I remember vividly how much their "death" moved me the first time I saw it. They were such cute, likable characters and it was just really well done.

After that comes Everyone vs. Giant of Babel. What can I say about an epic scene that inspired an epic scene 5 games later? It was really great.

Favorite songs.. This game had an amazing soundtrack. I'm gonna forgo the obligatory mention of Theme of Love and list my other faves:
    1. YouTube - Final Fantasy IV OST - The Red Wings ~ Cecil's Theme

Just pure greatness. This playing during the Paladin vs. Dark Knight fight as well as the Giant of Babel battle really helped make them even better moments.

2. YouTube - Final Fantasy IV OST - Within the Giant ~ Giant of Babil Theme

Just a really fantastic dungeon theme.

3. YouTube - Final Fantasy IV OST - Battle with the Four Fiends ~ Elemental Boss Battle Theme

FFIV already has probably the best "normal boss battle" theme in the series and this is even greater.
    This song reminds me though, I loved Rubicante. He was such a breath of fresh air to the cartoonishly evil other Fiends.

In conclusion I'm not quite sure where I'd place this game in my favorite hierarchy... I was kinda disappointed but I had really high expectations. It was still most definitely a good game.

Final Note: The Advance version is a cakewalk compared to the original SNES version.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Glad you enjoyed the game. I thought that Rosa too was underused. I don't think they put much thought into her.
    I like IV's boss theme too, but I still have to put IX on top for best boss theme for me.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    My Overall Thoughts on The Game
    Anyway I think my favorite character was Tellah. He seemed have the clearest ane most detailed character. His motivation was simple but it also had the most emphasis put on it to the point he stood out amongst everyone else.
    His end was quite tragic... Not only could he not defeat Golbez but he understood, too late, that revenge was not what his daughter would have wanted him to waste his life on.

Anna's spirit should have just let Edward stay a pussy and gone to tell her father this.
    I am glad that you are able to appreciate the character. I thought that his story was among the most tragic in the game as he wasted his life on someone who was not truly to blame for his daughter's death. His motivation and desire is not lost on me, however, and he remains a favorite of mine to this very day.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

A figure clad in armor. Darkwolf090's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Acerbus Lupus (Mysidia)

Ok so you where playing FFIV Advanced yes? well try the DS version it is infact more difficult, also the whole you can choose to take to the final dungeon doesnt exist in any other version of FFIV then the advanced, you get Cecil, Kain, Edge, Rydia, and Rosa what is a good party so whatever really, the way they counter the difficulty of the DS version is giving you Augments, what if used right will make the game easy or hard if used wrong. Also yea sure Ill give Tellah points for knowing what he wanted to do and being the most human and etc etc but... still hate the useless old fool of a mage, go go 90 mp yea....
    Also I do always have to laugh that ya know.. Meteor killed him cuz he casted it right? Then ya have Rydia running around throwing Meteors at people for fun, Golbez throwing Meteors for fun and FuSoYa throwing Meteors for fun and if ya grind him Palom throwing Meteors around for fun.... hmmmm....
    I care not for harmony nor discord. - Golbez
    It is better to die and be remembered forever, then it is to live on and have no one know your alive. Do what you want, hold nothing back!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm sure if Rydia cast a spell that cost more then her max MP it would kill her too.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just remembered, now that you've beaten FFIV, you can appreciate this more.