Thread: Weird Al and the Internet vs. Lady Gaga

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default Weird Al and the Internet vs. Lady Gaga

The internet won, of course. The internet always does.

So Weird Al Yankovic recorded a song for his upcoming album which parodies Lady Gaga, specifically by mocking her costumed antics. As he usually does, he sought the approval of Lady Gaga herself (though is not at all required to do so -- see the first link for details). Gaga turned him down flat, and he was assured multiple times that the command was from the bubble-wrapped one herself. So he released the song freely over the internet earlier this week, and the internet backlash was enough that she quickly reversed herself (along with inventing a lame excuse).

What do you think of the parody? It amused me, though not one of Al's finest works (from recent stuff, that would have to be "White and Nerdy"). I'm interested in seeing what Gaga fans have to say. Also, does her denial of Weird Al's request (almost unprecedented) demonstrate that she takes herself too seriously or thinks too much of herself?

ETA: Apparently there are also accusations that the song Weird Al parodied, "Born this Way" was itself a ripoff of Madonna's "Express Yourself." There are certainly similarities, including beat, vocals (how it's sung), and even the theme.

Not that I give a crap about such a trivial issue, but it is amusing to see both sides (especially the Gaga fans) get so upset over it.

Don't double-post, buttface. ~Shlup

Most artists would consider being parodied by Al as an honor. It's one of those ways that tell you when you've "made it".

The parody itself itself is kinda lame. :/ He can do better. Much better.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I rather enjoyed the parody, as I do most of his songs.

And "Born this Way" is a complete rip.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah I heard it was the same song as Madonna's anyway. It'd be disappointing if I thought highly of her, but I don't, so moot point.

However go Al. I agree with Justy; I'd think it was an honor.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Her manager supposedly never passed on the song to her, and the rejection was entirely on his part. She said she loved it.

And really... I don't understand people shouting rip-off when it comes to music. xD A bunch of artists cover, sample, whatever other artist's music. Lady Gaga has never been shy about how much influence she takes from other artists, and she especially loves Madonna. Dunno where I was going with this, but yeah. xD

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Does Gaga even have the authority to approve it? Wouldn't she have to go through like...the record label or something? xD

There's nothing to "approve" legally. Parody is protected as fair use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    And really... I don't understand people shouting rip-off when it comes to music. xD A bunch of artists cover, sample, whatever other artist's music. Lady Gaga has never been shy about how much influence she takes from other artists, and she especially loves Madonna. Dunno where I was going with this, but yeah. xD
    The difference here being that when someone covers/samples a song they acknowledge it. "Born This Way" sounds like a straight rip of Madonna's song and Gaga vehemently denies it.

Lady Gaga's Ears Are Broken - Amplifier

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Her manager supposedly never passed on the song to her, and the rejection was entirely on his part. She said she loved it.
    That was the lame excuse I mentioned. However, that doesn't fit with the multiple assurances Weird Al received that it was Gaga herself who rejected it (which the excuse afterward doesn't even mention). I think ATL (the first link in the OP) said it best: "If you believe that excuse, you should proceed immediately to Promise Rehab for Celebrity Exhaustion and check yourself in for mercury poisoning."

Does Gaga even have the authority to approve it? Wouldn't she have to go through like...the record label or something? xD
    "Asking permission" for Weird Al is purely a formality; artist approval is not required at all. He just asks for the artist's blessing to show respect, and is virtually never denied.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default There was also that problem with Coolio...

The only other denials I can think off the top of my head are James Blunt and maybe the Crash Test Dummies. I'm not sure abut the latter; I know that he never put the parody on an album, but I never remember that being about them denying approval or another reason.

The biggest misstep was when Coolio said he never gave permission after Weird Al had been assured that he had. But whatever, Amish Paradise is one of Al's best. Totally worth ticking Coolio off.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I love "Amish Paradise." That and "White and Nerdy" are the only two rap songs I listen to willingly.

Blog Entries

I was under the impression the only denial was by Prince.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

According to the first article in the OP, the only people who denied Weird Al and got away with it are Prince and Paul McCartney. I am not sure how many original refusals there have been, but I doubt there have been many. The Coolio case was where he got upset after-the-fact, after Al had thought it was approved (but still quite amusing).

Blog Entries

Ive never been a fan of Weird Al parodies anyway. College Humour parodies are better.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    The only other denials I can think off the top of my head are James Blunt and maybe the Crash Test Dummies.
    James Blunt was fine with it, but his record company wasn't. They were concered that a parody of You're Beautiful would just lend to the impression that Blunt was a one-hit wonder.

As far as I'm aware, Prince is the only one who's actually refused outright. Al sought permission before doing Amish Paradise, and got consent from Coolio's company, mistakenly believing it came from Coolio personally.