Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: PSN Hacked

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I was lucky enough too cancel my credit card information just the week before this happened. After reading up on this on various websites, I more to the idea that this wasn't Anon. I think some guys just heard of their intended attack and said it was a good a time as any to go in and place the blame on their shoulders. No matter what happens though, I can see PSN users canceling their account when the lights come back up. I won't be one of them, because I'm too addicted to online gaming ;( , but I'm giving false information when I re-do my account when it comes back (granted if ever). This will hurt Sony financially big time unless they can somehow guarantee that something like this will never happen again and your personal details are safe.

Str8 Pimpin'

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Intel gives the explanation for this bull as Sony sends PSN purchases as smurfing GET requests fully visible in the URL, and then stores all this data in PLAIN TEXT. I facepalmed so hard that I gave myself a brain hemorrhage.
    Yep. To say their security was lacking is something of an understatement. I have to wonder if they'll end up liable for any financial or other losses people end up suffering (if they do) because even someone who doesn't know a lot about security in the tech industry could look at what they did do and see it wasn't sorely lacking. I mean, I can undertand they didn't expect someone to access their network to be able to get at this stuff, but that doesn't mean you just leave it lying around plain as day. You have to plan for the possibility that your network isn't as secure as you think it is too.

Blog Entries

God damnit. My credit card details =S

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    The irony is that none of my account info has been used during all this, or any other time the PSN has been screwed up due to Sony's failure, but I found out the other day that Microsoft has been ripping $9.99 a month out of my account that I don't use for the last two years (while my 360 was sitting on a closet shelf collecting dust). I never authorized it, and only provided my card information for the initial free trial back in 2007 I think, and yet, for some reason, they didn't start taking my money until 2009. I only found out because my bank notified me that I only had $3.00 left in the account.

So no matter how much Sony screws up, I still hate Microsoft more; they stole from me intentionally.
    Live has a retarded opt-out auto-renewal system. :{ You have to phone them up and request that the auto-renewal stops. It is an annoyance. They hope it'll just be more bother for people to phone up and cancel, than to pay the subscription fee.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Holy mother of God. This is incompetence on a level of local council budgeting. So basically, Sony have admitted that somebody somewhere has your name, address, date of birth, PSN username and password, and, even thought they're being shy about it, your credit card number, security code, and sort code.

Intel gives the explanation for this bull as Sony sends PSN purchases as smurfing GET requests fully visible in the URL, and then stores all this data in PLAIN TEXT. I facepalmed so hard that I gave myself a brain hemorrhage.
    For what it's worth (very little, I imagine), the page you linked to stated "excluding security code".
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Holy mother of God. This is incompetence on a level of local council budgeting. So basically, Sony have admitted that somebody somewhere has your name, address, date of birth, PSN username and password, and, even thought they're being shy about it, your credit card number, security code, and sort code.

For what it's worth (very little, I imagine), the page you linked to stated "excluding security code".
    The fact that PSN stored information in PLAIN TEXT is absolutely bonkers.

I really hope this is sorted before the damn royal wedding,going to be a street party on my road and I can't be dealing with that noise whilst I'm not playing Fifa online.

I've been reading regular updates and news begins with back on tomorrow till still no news on a date for return. Please b4 Friday.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Sony haven't given any inclination that they are turning the tide on this issue, nor have they given any time-frame for when the PSN will be working again. I think we will be lucky to see it back up by next week.

EDIT: Just did some searching there, apparently some services will be back up within a week.
    Last edited by Rocket Edge; 04-27-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah remember the post I made earlier in this thread where I said that they store your personal info in plain text?

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

smurfing Christ. What sort of morons do they have working over there?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well hopefully no further damage will come to customers. I have my data saved on there so I've been watching my credit card statements, but part of me thinks this was just people hacking in there for the lulz or to bypass the service to get stuff for free, and they discovered by accident how many holes were in Sony's security and privacy systems.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Playstation Network stored customer information in plain text? I thought that was illegal.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Where did this plain text thing come from, out of curiosity? Intel, according to Manus, but I can't find any quotes around the 'net which say "plain text" when talking about PSN. I'm not saying Sony haven't done it, but I do like to check my sources before I believe them.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

I meant intel the shortened form of intelligence, not the company there. I guess I didn't want to use the word 'rumour', because this is very likely the case.

there was a picture here

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Where did this plain text thing come from, out of curiosity? Intel, according to Manus, but I can't find any quotes around the 'net which say "plain text" when talking about PSN. I'm not saying Sony haven't done it, but I do like to check my sources before I believe them.
    I can't really remember where I read it, but I remember reading something and thinking "huh maybe since I don't even have money to buy stuff from PSN I should just clear all of my credit card info." It was probably an unreliable source like ED.