Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: PSN Hacked

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Crop, didn't you get the free code to play Portal 2 on the pc that you get in the PS3 copy if so, problem smurfing solved mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Crop, didn't you get the free code to play Portal 2 on the pc that you get in the PS3 copy if so, problem smurfing solved mate.
    I did, but I doubt I could run it on the PC I use. Besides, that's not the point, whoever did this hack needs to get off their high horse and let the millions of innocent people use the console they forked out a lot of money for.
    Because tbh, most of us couldn't give a about the drama between internet nerds and Sony.

Go Anonymous. Stick it to the man!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No if it's to do with Anonymous it'll be over the George Hotz case.
    That case was settled out of court a week or two ago so if they are hacking the PSN over it now then they'd be complete idiots.

in other words, Sony acted like dicks to people who haven't done anything but might have seen the information on how to do it and basically said they were going to sue the outta them all
    They never said that at all actually. They claimed they wanted the info to determine which state would have jurisdiction over the case. Not that it wasn't still very sketchy and immoral as far as I'm concerned.

Either way, it came down to the whole idea that Sony basically said you don't actually own your PS3, they do. You're kinda renting it
    Make no mistake in thinking it's only Sony that feels this way. You may own the hardware, but every console manufacturer pulls the same software licensing crap (hell, for that matter, every software company pulls it. Do you think you own the OS on that computer you're using? Because Microsoft/Apple would disagree with you. Unless you use Linux, in which case rock on) with the actual software running on the console, and all of them pretty much have the attitude of "you have no right to do anything with the software unless we let you." Thing is, most companies never saw a need to take anyone to court over it. When it's a few individuals cracking their system for their own use and not really causing much of a problem it's not so bad. But basically cracking the PS3's security wide open so anyone could do anything they wanted with it (including, but certainly not limited to, hacking any game out there with impunity) kind of changed that, and while suing over it may have caused Sony even more problems, it's a little hard to blame them for trying to do something to control it. Even though putting that genie back in the bottle is likely impossible and only exacerbates the ill will towards them in the hacking community.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I did, but I doubt I could run it on the PC I use. Besides, that's not the point, whoever did this hack needs to get off their high horse and let the millions of innocent people use the console they forked out a lot of money for.
    Because tbh, most of us couldn't give a about the drama between internet nerds and Sony.
    I didn't realize this hacking of the network bricked the consoles.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I tried to sign up to PSN this morning in a daze and wondered why it didn't work. Whoops.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Anonymous always e-wanks themselves proudly about their accomplishments. This wasn't a work of Anonymous, and I doubt it was the work of anything other than Sony's incompetence.

Yeah but don't you have to link your PSN account with steam first? It's a problem if you got Portal 2 after Wednesday. And I got MK as well f**kin hackers!!!!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Personally I'm just glad I own a 360, XBL is sweet as anything at the moment and well I've not had Microsoft breathing down my neck threatening to sue the out of me because I watched videos/read websites about how to hack my console even though I haven't actually done anything other than that just because I theoretically could do so armed with that knowledge.
    That's because they consider it a wash since your console is built to fail on you.

Push people have been stealing their stuff forever so they're used to it.
    I like Kung-Fu.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah.... let's stick with Anonymous did it.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    Anonymous always e-wanks themselves proudly about their accomplishments. This wasn't a work of Anonymous, and I doubt it was the work of anything other than Sony's incompetence.
    The fact it is taking so long to fix makes this seem more likely. Some punk pushed a button and can't smurfing remember what he's done.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    The fact it is taking so long to fix makes this seem more likely. Some punk pushed a button and can't smurfing remember what he's done.
    Hey guys remember the messed up daylight savings time date glitch back in August?

Yeah I'm guessing this is another Sony screwup rather than an attack by hackers.

Luckily I wasn't silly enough to pay for PSN+ or XBL Gold, so this sort of thing doesn't bother me.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm mostly annoyed that it's causing some wonkiness with getting to Netflix on my PS3. I don't really play any games on PSN so that's less of an annoyance for me, but it does seem rather dramatic that the service has been down for so long.

I haven't done a lot of online gaming in a while and decided to just make a new live account. As far as PSN is concerned, the only money I spent was for Phantasy Star Portable 2. So I'm not really going to lose a whole lot. Though I love the power of the PS3 and the fact I can use it as a blu-ray, I am certainly not pleased with how Sony keeps removing features, nor am I too thrilled that they favor the asian regions over international regions (they get so many more themes, avatars, and downloads in the store.)

I'm just not a fan of the morality (or lack of) involved with the hack itself. Sure, go after Sony. But dragging the entire userbase down with Sony is pretty low.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

I'm chalking this one up to Anonymous. I started having sporadic issues a few weeks and dug around for information. Turns out I started having problems about 8 hours after Anonymous dropped that Anti-Sony video threat. I never really had problems before, with the exception of the daylight savings glitch, but ever since it's been wonky, extremely sketchy connections. The last information i saw that reportedly came from Anon specifically said "Once PSN is back online" they won't direct any attacks towards PSN, but rather Sony itself, so as not to affect the consumer. This was in the last 48 hours. Leads me to believe they're taking credit for THIS outage, but won't continue once they fix it.

In any case, I support Anonymous' cause, but their method is worthless. Aside from taking down the Playstation Store, they haven't done any sizable damage to Sony profits. What they have done is take away usability of Sony products to the consumer. In the name of fighting against Sony's taking away of advertised features from their consumers. To say it's slightly hypocritical is an understatement.