Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who series 6 (spoilers)

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

i almost wanted to cry at this episode, amy's speech at the beginning was SMURTHING EPIC! another brilliant speech written by moffet. Smith has now knocked Ecclestone of the top spot as my favourite doctor. But now there are so many MORE questions that need answering!!
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Ok the episode blew me away, seriously.

First up good call to Penelo Ratsbane, you called River Song as Amy's daughter, something I myself had begun to consider around the 3rd episode. Especially once the riddle of "the only water in the forest is the river" riddle came up. As soon as River said she couldn't go and then you see the name "Melody Pond" on the side of the incubation crib you know, you just know that it's River.
    Thanks i was shocked i got it right, i'm usually way off lol
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Absolutely the best season finale of Who so far. Amazing episode! I DIDN'T see that coming... and... holy crap! I just can't stop thinking about all the implications. I wonder if Moffet knew all the way back during River's first appearance that this is what her secret was?

Also, is it just me or is this season unnaturally short? Aren't they usually twice as long?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    Absolutely the best season finale of Who so far. Amazing episode! I DIDN'T see that coming... and... holy crap! I just can't stop thinking about all the implications. I wonder if Moffet knew all the way back during River's first appearance that this is what her secret was?

Also, is it just me or is this season unnaturally short? Aren't they usually twice as long?
    The season is split in two this year, the second half begins in September I think so it will ultimately be 13 episodes just like the others.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Don't know why they don't just go ahead and make it a 26 episode dealio like any good TV series worth their salt.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having re-watched the episode (this time in HD) I have to say whilst Matt Smith is doing an absolutely terrific job as the Doctor it should definitely be mentioned that Karen Gillan (Pond), Arthur Darvill (Rory) and Alex (River) put in amazing performances too. I mean the whole cast did exceptionally well on this episode it was very emotional in it's execution. I remember when I was forced to go watch Titanic (with Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet) at the cinema and the ending scenes elicted such emotion from nearly every person present (I cheered that it was finally over, did not enjoy the film lol), the performances and the story here was far, far more emotional than those scenes in Titanic, in fact it could be safe to say that the writing on Dr Who has proven to be some of the greatest writing seen in recent years. If I think back over the years to the many, many emotional speeches, scenes and losses we've witnessed over the years. This episode however has pushed it further than ever before.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

One thing I have to say is that they always cast the right guy for Doctor Who. None of them have really been bland or boring - at least, not in the reboot, can't say I've seen every previous doctor. But my favourite will probably always be Eccleston.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Don't know why they don't just go ahead and make it a 26 episode dealio like any good TV series worth their salt.
    That's the American way. British shows are usually a lot shorter - most British comedies only have 6 episodes per season. I have no idea why, I would like to have more episodes of this too. Maybe it's a funding thing.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most British TV series are 6 episodes, not even just comedies. Spooks for example is unusual in the fact that there are normally around 8 episodes per series. I doubt it is to do with the funding of the series but more of a "if we make it too long then people will lose interest" thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

That would make sense if it was something like Lost where there is a long story being made and significant progress is hard to come by, but almost every Doctor Who episode is either a story in itself or else is part of a two-week "to be continued" kind of thing. So people wouldn't really have the chance to get bored. It's never boring on Doctor Who! It's like a cartoon series. No effort to continuity and making logical sense, but great entertainment

I saw this priceless comment on one forum, you have to wonder about some people:

'This makes no sense.

They stated that Rory and Amy conceived on their wedding night -- however, up until The Doctor's Wife, they had bunk beds on the TARDIS.

Sloppy, very sloppy.'

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ahahahaha. xD Yes, clearly that guy is onto something.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    That's the American way. British shows are usually a lot shorter - most British comedies only have 6 episodes per season. I have no idea why, I would like to have more episodes of this too. Maybe it's a funding thing.
    Yeah, generally we have much smaller teams over here. Comedies especially, they often have only one or two writers, and they'd just die of exhaustion if they tried to write an American-length season.

Doctor Who would probably have the cash for it, but they spend it all on special effects and stuff I guess. I'd like a longer run each year because hey, more Who, but also because it would let them bring back the multiple-part stories from old Who.

More here: British Brevity - Television Tropes & Idioms

Have ages for the next episode I want in now.

Talking to a friend a few weeks ago trying to work out Rivers envolvement. I thought she would turn out to be an enemy of the Doctor and she was trying to make up for her wrong doings in the time before she wrongs the Doctor, it makes sense in a time tavel setting lol.

Turning out to be Pond and Rory' daughter is also god, I didn't see it coming.