Thread: Playing video games without headphones in the apartment at night

Default Playing video games without headphones in the apartment at night

Do you think it is alright to play NES video games in your apartment during the nights if the volume is just enough to be pleasant to listen to?
    I think the isolation between apartments where I live is decent, I usually don't hear people although I can hear when they are shouting and would probably hear if their television is very loud - but just how piercing is the NES sound?

I'm wondering because my headphones are broken right now.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I would say set it to whatever volume you would feel appropriate to watch TV at.

Yes, I have never heard any televisions during the 4 years I've lived here, so it should be alright;
    I'm just being careful here since I don't want people knocking at my door in the middle of the night and complaining that the sound is too loud.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by *Laurelindo* View Post
    Yes, I have never heard any televisions during the 4 years I've lived here, so it should be alright;
    I'm just being careful here since I don't want people knocking at my door in the middle of the night and complaining that the sound is too loud.
    I wouldn't worry too much. I certainly wouldn't blast it, but as VeloZer0 said, regular tv watching volume I'd think would be fine.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gauge the volume you should play it at based on how easily you can hear your neighbor's TVs through the walls. That'll help you determine how easily sound travels and give you an idea of what an acceptable level is. My current apartment allows sound to travel very easily so I have to take it easy on the volume at night to keep from having angry neighbors. If your apartment is better insulated for sound, then you might not have much of a problem.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

On a side note, the NES Powerpad transmits sound very effectively through the floor at 1am. Fortunately he was cool enough to join in with us for a few games after coming up an knocking on our door.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

I've never had any issue with noise in my place, but it deserves note that the guy upstairs is both a fellow gamer and we'd been friends for several years before he moved in.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I just turn the sound down one bar every fifteen minutes or so. Your hearing adapts and you can hear it perfectly on like 5.

I had my tv on 3 last night and was worried about waking my parents 'cause it seemed so loud xD

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I just turn the sound down one bar every fifteen minutes or so. Your hearing adapts and you can hear it perfectly on like 5.

I had my tv on 3 last night and was worried about waking my parents 'cause it seemed so loud xD
    Wtf is your TVs scale like? o_O Minimum for me is 20.

I play video games on the max volume at all hours of the night because I'm a deaf mothersmurfer. If people call my landlord to complain, I lie and say that I have no idea what the complainant is talking about. She believes me because I'm the only responsible person in this entire god damn building.

#winning

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post

Wtf is your TVs scale like? o_O Minimum for me is 20.
    Mine goes from 0 to 63 like every ordinary tv should

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

0-100 or GTFO.

Thanks, everyone.
    Actually one of my neighbours (who is a very nice person, by the way) can sometimes randomly yell a swearword quite loud during the day if something he does goes wrong (like he can try to repair something and then be like "DAMN!" when he screws up), and when he does that I can hear it relatively well, but it's kind of muffled and it would certainly not wake me up or anything;
    with that in mind I should probably be able to play on medium volume without keeping anyone awake.
    Last edited by *Laurelindo*; 04-26-2011 at 05:08 PM.