Thread: Using Yuri Horii's name in Dragon Quest - but what counts as his first name?

Default Using Yuri Horii's name in Dragon Quest - but what counts as his first name?

I'm kinda starting Dragon Quest on the NES now, and since there is no Katakana I prefer using a real Japanese name instead of my own, so I will use Yuji Horii - however, what is his so-called "first name" in this case?
    Would he be referred to as "Yuji" or "Horii" in casual situations?

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If his name is Horii Yuji in Japan than his first name is Yuji, if its Yuji Horii in Japan than his first name is in fact Horii

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    If his name is Horii Yuji in Japan than his first name is Yuji, if its Yuji Horii in Japan than his first name is in fact Horii
    Ok thanks, so if his name is written as Yuji Horii in English then his "real" first name is Horii?
    Am I understanding things correctly here?

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In Japan & most countries in the Orient (China, Korea, Japan, Thailand etc) a person's surname is written first. If his name is Yuji Horii in English than his first name is more than likely Yuji. If his name is written Yuji Horii in Japanese however than his first name is Horii.

Example: In the anime Bleach, if you watch in Japanese, Ichigo is referred to as Kurosaki Ichigo but Ichigo is in fact his first name not his surname.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Yuji is his given name, Horii is his family name. In Japanese his name is Horii Yuji.

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Yuji is his given name, Horii is his family name. In Japanese his name is Horii Yuji.
    Yes. It's better to call them given names and surnames. First and last are too ambiguous.

And um... unless you had a very special relationship with a Japanese person, you would never call them by their last name only. You'd need a suffix to go with the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Justy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Yes. It's better to call them given names and surnames. First and last are too ambiguous.

And um... unless you had a very special relationship with a Japanese person, you would never call them by their last name only. You'd need a suffix to go with the name.
    I decided to use Uematsu instead, since that fills out the whole name space in the Japanese version.
    I would've probably used Yujisan if Dragon Quest didn't use separate spaces for the dakuten markers.

ロトII would've also been very cool if you could use Katakana and Rômaji characters.