Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Just want to say these are the best Star Wars videos you can watch, and some of the finest comedy the internet has produced. I love all of Plinkett's reviews but his Star Wars stuff is a whole 'nother level.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    He is a strange one, that Yoda. I doubt we will ever unlock the secrets of his past!

There was a goddamn Yoda in the Old Republic games so surely they could've named the species dammit Lucas
    Lucas is kind of at keeping continuity intact. Back in the day Darth Maul was an "unknown species", supposedly the only one of his kind, which is why he was so scary to everyone in Ep. I. As the Expanded Universe unfolded he became labeled a Zabrak and now there's a ton of them running around.

Yoda was supposed to be a rare creature as well, it added to his mysteriousness. The last of his kind, the last of the Old Republic Jedi, that kind of . Then Yaddle appeared. She's another of "Yoda's species", as well as that one from KotOR. Lucas is just kind of floating along now.

I was just reading through the Yoda's Species page, and thought that wouldn't Yoda technically have been the last known of his kind after Yaddle died?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I thought the same thing, but Yaddle was thought up from a piece of concept art of Yoda when making Ep. I. In the original trilogy Yoda was truly the only one of his kind, not just the last. As much retconing that Lucas has done, it wouldn't surprise me if he completely forgot until he had about four more Yoda's running around and just decided they would be a nameless race.

Edit: Hmm, now that I think about it that makes a lot more sense. I suppose I figured "the only one of his kind" meant that it had been a long ass time since the rest of them died out.

I love me some Star Wars. I was nearly disowned by the world when Episode III became my favorite, though. PREQUEL TRILOGY OMGWTF. I thought that one was actually really good! It's fun and ridiculous and... Whatever Plus Sidious is in it the most, and I love evil people. The guy throws force lightning and half of a building at Yoda and still takes the time to villain cackle along the way. He's basically my idol.

It's full of nice gems too, like, "It's over, Anakin! I have the high ground!" +15 to dexterity! Although that didn't help Darth Maul a lot, but he didn't have a beard.

I love Star Wars.

Worf is like the best character in anything ever.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    For reasons we cannot explain, we are losing her. She has lost the will to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian XIII View Post
    Monda, you break my heart with that quote.
    Seriously? I laughed. It is still funny.

Oh god, now I'm going to have to watch all of these. I love you and hate you at the same time.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

"RIP Kurt Cobain NIN is my favorite band"

I cannot watch star wars. It took me about 7 tries to actually sit through Jedi (after I turned 18+) and it was just confounding to watch teddy bears defeat the imperial army. Nothing is coherent except the overarching plot (which explains why summaries are often better than the film) and I really only watch it for the light saber fights.

I remember TPM coming out - everybody and their mothers loved darth maul. Now he's a reincarnated joke.

This thread depresses me. I'm going to watch SW fan films; they tend to be more better bc I can filter by what I like to see and there's no angsty anakin emoing it up.

I enjoy Star Wars but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan. I acknowledge that there is something quite special about the original trilogy and I really enjoy A New Hope. I'm not as bitter about the later trilogy as some die hard fans are but I really thought they were average anyway.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    2. Wasn't your post longer before, Del?
    This isn't the post you're looking for.

Ok, I guess I understand the explanation for the droid destroyers. If they have shields and can transform into a ball they are probably expensive to make. But one of those is still better than 50 battle droids, since even the Gungans can handle those. I also didn't know the Trade Federation bought all their droids. I thought they made them. Though I guess it doesn't make sense that a trade guild would have a ton of droid factories.

Here's my next question and it has to do with Palpatine's appearance. Did the force lightning reflected by Mace really make Palpatine look that way or was that a trick to convince Anakin? I felt like that was the Emperor's true face coming out, warped and twisted by the dark side, and he was somehow using the force (or prosthetics) to maintain his human appearance all these years. Especially since Luke, Yoda, and Anakin have all been zapped by force lightning and their appearances didn't change.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian XIII View Post
    When we're not having wild, unprotected orgies, yes.
    You're mostly dudes.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

When in Rome, do it Roman style.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Ok, I guess I understand the explanation for the droid destroyers. If they have shields and can transform into a ball they are probably expensive to make. But one of those is still better than 50 battle droids, since even the Gungans can handle those. I also didn't know the Trade Federation bought all their droids. I thought they made them. Though I guess it doesn't make sense that a trade guild would have a ton of droid factories.
    The B1's, the main ones from EP. I, were cheap and shoddily made so they bought up a ton of them. When the Confederacy absorbed the Trade Federation leaders the droid army became a lot more varied 'cause someone else was paying for them, like those big ass walking spheres.

Here's my next question and it has to do with Palpatine's appearance. Did the force lightning reflected by Mace really make Palpatine look that way or was that a trick to convince Anakin? I felt like that was the Emperor's true face coming out, warped and twisted by the dark side, and he was somehow using the force (or prosthetics) to maintain his human appearance all these years. Especially since Luke, Yoda, and Anakin have all been zapped by force lightning and their appearances didn't change.
    I think that's what Lucas was going for. There may be a better explanation than it was a trick, but it's never really been explained in detail. Wookieepedia just says "Windu used his lightsaber to reflect it back at the Sith Lord, which he used to reveal his true form", which can be interpreted a few different ways. He did kind of accept his "deformity" and tried to use it to his advantage though, like when he convinced the Senate to dissolve into the Galactic Empire he blamed the Jedi for trying to kill him, using his form as proof, and take over after ending the war.

My own personal thoughts on it is that when the lightning was reflected back at him it was his own energy, so it had some worse than negative reactions. He wasn't really very old so I don't think he was using any tricks to disguise himself, I think it was just a revelation of how twisted and evil he really was. It also burned him pretty bad, if you look at his thumb and forefinger on hos right hand they're charred black.

One of the local university's music professors is doing a lecture on the music of Star Wars. My girlfriend and I are going, partly because it's her favorite teacher and partly because it might be interesting. It's on May 4th.

She finds the date funny.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

May the fourth be with you.