Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

When I was younger, before episodes II and III came out, I spent my whole summer vacations watching the original trilogy over and over and jotting down notes about what could/should happen in the next two prequels. For instance, in episode IV, Vader says in the opening sequence, "There will be no one to stop us this time!" I thought for sure that the next prequels would, basically, be about a (real) tug-of-war between the empire and the alliance, and that the alliance had interfered with the operations of the Death Star before or something (based on that one line by Vader). I dunno!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Just want to say these are the best Star Wars videos you can watch, and some of the finest comedy the internet has produced. I love all of Plinkett's reviews but his Star Wars stuff is a whole 'nother level.
    I actually liked The Phantom Menace until I watched his review of it. XD He's very convincing.

I might have my own Star Wars day tomorrow by watching the original trilogy, since I'm off work!

:vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader:

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love Star Wars but I've no respect for Lucas. smurfing nerf herder. :vader:

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    For reasons we cannot explain, we are losing her. She has lost the will to live.
    Gotta love it xD

EDIT: oh and The Empire Strikes Back is probably the best one.

FFXIV Character

Jenna Solis (Sargatanas)

Sadly, I thought Episodes I was giant disappointment after waiting 16 years for Lucas to get around to making it. I loved Episodes 4 - 6 and read the trilogy and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Episode II was slightly better, but not much. I found it disconcerting that in the book, Return of the Jedi Luke finds out that Obiwan hides him from his father by taking him to his brother Owen to raise, but in the movie Owen is identified as Anakin's step-brother and they went and deleted the storyline from the book. After that I lost interest and never saw, and have no desire to see, Episode III.

On a side note, I always found it hilarious Obiwan went out of his way to hide Luke away from Anakin but then neglected to change his name!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How does Uncle Owen's relationship to Luke change the narrative?

And I don't necessarily see identification as brother and then step-brother as different. Technically my sister is my half-sister but I never call her that, she's just my sister. I know other people that don't call their relations by the "step" part.

FFXIV Character

Jenna Solis (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post

And I don't necessarily see identification as brother and then step-brother as different. Technically my sister is my half-sister but I never call her that, she's just my sister. I know other people that don't call their relations by the "step" part.

You misunderstand me, Owen was originally identified as Obiwan Kenobi's Brother, not Anakin's step-brother. Once the new trilogy came out, they apparently took the blurb about Obiwan's brother out of The Return of the Jedi book.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That sounds really familiar, Jen. I remember reading something about that online.

Good lord, Lucas was retconing even in the 70's!

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Quote Originally Posted by Jentleness View Post

You misunderstand me, Owen was originally identified as Obiwan Kenobi's Brother, not Anakin's step-brother. Once the new trilogy came out, they apparently took the blurb about Obiwan's brother out of The Return of the Jedi book.
    Weird. In A New Hope it's implied that Owen is Anakin's real brother. Plus, Owen seems to dislike Obi-Wan quite a bit, according to pieces of dialogue, so it seems weird to pair the two as brothers...

Oh, well. As Lucas made the prequels, he mostly ignored the history Obi-Wan laid out for us during the original trilogy, anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jentleness View Post

wat. That doesn't make sense at all. smurfing Lucas.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm fairly sure it was only in the books though. The movie made it very obvious that Owen and Vader were related in some way.

Blog Entries

Then smurf the books.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They were the original editions, mind you. Honestly, though, smurf Lucas.

GL: "Ahh Star Wars. My best work. I love you Star Wars. *huggles* Who's a good Star Wars?"

SW: "Uhh... I am?"

GL: "That's right, now hold still." *drops trou*

SW: "WTF ARE YOU DOING!?"

GL: "I'm going to all over you. Is that ok?"

SW: "Oh, ok. Yes I believe that would be quite acceptable."

I like to believe Star Wars wasn't actually that compliant, but we'll never know the full story, really.