Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent concerts

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Default Recent concerts

So I saw Animals As Leaders, Intronaut, Last Chance To Reason, Evan Brewer, and and a few other groups wed night. Pretty good show. Animals As Leaders were of course awesome, but Brewer's bass playing and Intronaut both stole the show if you ask me.

Going to see The Contortionist, Scale the Summit and a few others tonight.

What shows are you excited for?

Tonight's show was excellent. It was two opening bands then Structures, Volumes, Rings of Saturn, Scale the Summit, Conducting from the Grave, and The Contortionist. Not a bad line up for 10 bucks a ticket.

We arrived a little late because my friend had to work late. That meant we missed Structures which is incredibly disappointing. I really enjoy them, and people said they had great energy live.

We showed up just in time for Volumes. Definitely the most energy from any of the bands. I like their music as it's a combination of Veil of Maya and softer interludes. They were decent, but a little repetive.

Then came Rings of Saturn. I was excited to see them. It's the first tour for these guys, and even though they're young they put on a solid show. Their sound was solid, and they recreated their studio stuff pretty well. Laid back sense of humor on stage too. Good guys.

Scale the Summit was next, and of course, they stole the show. I hadn't had a chance to hear much off the new album before tonight, but man they sounded great and so did the new songs. The bass player really anchors the music more than you realize until you watch them. All those guys are pretty talented. They did NOT play "Glacial Planet" tonight which is suck, but oh well.

Conducting from the Grave are co-headlinging and they came on next. Awesome melodic riffs, thrashy parts, heavy heavy breakdowns, and lots of good ol' fashioned metal. What's not to love? If you like metal, go see these guys. They did NOT play "Hit the lights, Armageddon is Here" which sucked again, but oh well.

The Contortionist rounded out the night with an excellent set of mostly new music from their new album. Their sound was almost album quality, and energy was good. If they were't up against the mighty Scale the Summit they would have been the best band of the night. They did not play "Apparitions" or "Predator" but I'll live.

No one else has any concert reports? C'mon!!!!
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 07-30-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You must tell me more about Tosin!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    You must tell me more about Tosin!
    I spoke to him a little bit, and he's just a regular guy. Very nice, of course. I told him I was more excited about the next album because it will be a collaboration of all three members. This first album was just material he wrote with the help of Misha Mansoor(Periphery) and then he went and found two guys to help him play it and tour with. He's pretty excited about this next album too. He agrees that the next album will be a true Animals As Leaders album, and he sorta chuckled and agreed that the drummer Navene is probably the best member of the band and never gets noticed. I asked if he and Javier would be coming back to town with their other band T.R.A.M. anytime soon but it doesn't look like it.

Tram has both Animals As Leaders guitarists, Eric Moore the drummer from Suicidal Tendencies, and Adrian Terrazas the wood wind instrumentalist for The Mars Volta. If you haven't heard their stuff, you need to check it out. I think it'd be right up your alley.

They were actually recording some footage for the AAL DVD coming out soon so the crown had good energy. I just wish some of the mosh pits didn't happen. I mean a mosh pit for CAFO or Behaving Badly is expected, but moshing to On Impulse? No.

There also had some crazed dude that was way too into Tosin humping a pole, and trying to reach out and grab touch him during guitar solos. It was quite funny.

Blog Entries

Lolol. Pole humping.

Blog Entries

I've only ever been to two Maroon 5 concerts, which my dad won for free from a local radio station. I really want to go to some metal concerts but my dad thinks I'm gonna get trampled in the mosh pits. Fair enough.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Nah, I mean there WILL be a pit. Hell, get in the pit and dance it up. Chicks who throw down in the pit are awesome. Use some of that Tae kwon do. Especially if it's some hardcore/metalcore bands.

The shows are plenty loud enough though. Just stand behind the pit, or to the side of the stage. Or you can try to squeeze your way up to the first few rows, but that gets hot and cramped fast.

I would recommend bringing ear plugs. I always forget, and my ears ring for days. Don't wear glasses, wear comfortable shoes (something with steel toes is wise), no jewelry, no wallet or keys. Just some money, and a bottle of water if you can sneak it in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellious Eagle View Post
    I've only ever been to two Maroon 5 concerts, which my dad won for free from a local radio station. I really want to go to some metal concerts but my dad thinks I'm gonna get trampled in the mosh pits. Fair enough.
    I can take you to a metal show. No that is not a euphemism.

I have to agree with sharky. It's awesome when there are chicks throwing down in the pit with all the guys. When I went to see Between the Buried and Me earlier this year it was kind of weird because I was surrounded by children.

This was a couple years ago but I went to see Between the Buried and Me and Animals as Leaders opened for them and I thought they were 10x better than Between the Buried and Me. I really can't stand death metal (or any kind of metal) but my ex talked me into going. Yeah even so, I bought the Animals as Leaders album and I love it so much.

I hate concerts to be honest. My first show was The Tossers at an Irish Festival, then the metal shows I was dragged to (including Horse the Band which was awesomeee).

Duran Duran is playing across the street from my house in October!!

Well cloud, if you like some instrumental stuff you should really check out Scale the Summit. They aren't quite as good as AAL, but they're still very talented. You might like them. Plus they now have 2 albums!

Last time i went was 2 years ago after graduating high school, me and 3 friends took 10 day trip up and down the east coast. Ended the trip with seeing Taking Back Sunday, Anberlin, and Envy on the coast. Before that I went to Projekt Revolution with a few friends.

I shall see ARCADE FIRE tonight. I am as they say, HYPED!

I just hope they play a decent amount of Funeral and Neon Bible stuff.

Blog Entries

I went to a show a few weeks back for the band Girl in a Coma. They were awesome, it was fun, and the girl my wife and I took totally loved it, judging by how furious her butt was bouncing to the music. Which I, ah, was absolutely not watching other than peripherally.

Arcade Fire did not dissapoint me even if it was the fourth time I had seen them live. God I love Funeral en the live version of 'Month of May' has some much more fire to it than it is on the record. Chills down my spine.

You're so lucky to have seen Arcade Fire Pete, they're awesome. I think I'll be going to see a Turkish rock band called Duman in October at the Islington Academy. It'll be a bit weird seeing as I'll be the only non-Turkish person therebut I don't care
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.