Blog Entries

Who said it wasn't boring?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I don't think I can ever call anything boring again after watching golf.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Soccer players aren't pansies. Flopping is just part of the game. NBA players do it all the time.

Soccer is probably second to only boxing in terms of the quality of athlete it demands. Both require strength, speed, endurance. Running around for over an hour straight definitely takes it's toll. Soccer players need to be in top shape and for that the sport gets my respect.

However, I do find it boring. I tried to watch during the World Cup but I just could not do it. I just do not like low scoring sports. 0-0 games in American football are pretty boring too, but at least the action is varied. I know that soccer involves a lot of tactics and scripted plays; it's necessary in a game where points are difficult. But to me it just looks like the ball is going back and forth with no real result. Every play that doesn't result in a goal is a failure, and there are a lot of failures. In football you see spectacular catches, punishing tackles, interceptions, and breakout runs, all of which won't necessarily result in a score. Besides exciting goals, soccer has what? Good kicks? Good saves? I'll give you that one. I do like seeing a good save. I also like seeing when players get jacked up but that seems like it's not in the spirit of the game.

I don't like hockey for the same reasons. But at least that game has sticks and skates. And yeah, baseball can also be pretty boring, but that's more of a statistician's game. I love stats.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Hockey and wrestling* are probably the only sports I can watch without dying of boredom, and wrestling is the only one I actually admire.

*By wrestling I don't mean for reals wrestling; I mean the cool kind with lots of stunts and some real dedication when it comes to acting (however poor the acting might be).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Soccer is probably second to only boxing in terms of the quality of athlete it demands.
    I'll disagree with this. I'd say rugby players have it tougher as they do all the same running twisting and turning as a football player but they also get battered and bruised throughout the ordeal, and have tougher tests of strength included. However, I'd say that football (soccer) players have more technical skill. And yeah, boxers are right up there, definitely.

International football is awful to watch. I wouldn't suggest introducing yourself to football by watching the World Cup, even though it's essentially what I did as well back in 2002. I would suggest watching the English Premier League. It's far, far more exciting. Still the odd 0-0, but yeah, much better to watch. Faster, better crowds, etc. But for pure entertainment with guaranteed scoring, watch rugby. The rugby world cup is on this year, and it's one of the few sports where the international matches are of top quality, so I'm hoping it'll be really good.

The thing that can make low-scoring sports good is that there is very often the possibility of a win being turned into a draw or even a loss in the matter of a few minutes right at the end of a game. Sure, you don't get to see so many goals, but the worth of the goals is enhanced that way and also very often the worth of the games themselves. When you watch high-scoring affairs, it's often a game that is already over before half-time, and while that can mean you get to see a lot of goals/tries/tuchdowns/whatever, it also means that you very rarely get genuine excitement to euphoric levels at the very end of a match. It feels very good to watch your team turn around a game in the dying minutes.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Ugh, no, don't start with the English Premiership. Pick a foreign league where they just get stuck in. Barclay's has fantastic quality but newbies are just like "well when are they going to take a shot?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Well, if you're after people who get stuck in but don't show any real talent, sure, watch Aussie Rules or something. But for football (soccer), EPL is the best for pure entertainment. And possibly one of the only leagues you'll even be able to watch in the US. I suppose they could watch MLS, but eh, I've no experience on whether or not that's any good.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I can't remember whether it was the Premiership final or the FA Cup final but the match spent 80 minutes being kicked around midfield. That's not entertaining. The Australian League isn't great quality but they still take chances. If the EPL players were just a tad bit more daring then it would be perfect. Actually maybe it's just like Chelsea et al who are to blame

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

There is no Premier League final, it's a league. No knockout rounds involved. And yes, there will always be dull games on occasion. But watch, for example, Manchester United vs. Manchester City or Everton vs. Liverpool and you'll generally get a good match. And if you want atmosphere, Celtic vs. Rangers. Dangerous atmosphere.

The A-League (Australian league, for those who don't know) scorelines aren't anything dramatically different from the English PL scorelines. Just less talented. Lots of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1 in there, too.

Chelsea is not known for being very entertaining or adventurous.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    And if you want atmosphere, Celtic vs. Rangers. Dangerous atmosphere.
    I make sure not to venture out of my flat when there's been a Celtic or Rangers game on. I do not want to get stabbed. ;_;

Blog Entries

The Premiership is probably the most exciting and 'daring' of all domestic leagues. I don't know what you're talking about. Serie A is a defensive borefest, and La Liga is just Barcelona and Real Madrid fondling each other above a league of C-class football teams. The Bundesliga and whatever they call the French league are more competitive competitions, but by and large the standard is lower.

there was a picture here

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I can't remember whether it was the Premiership final or the FA Cup final but the match spent 80 minutes being kicked around midfield. That's not entertaining. The Australian League isn't great quality but they still take chances. If the EPL players were just a tad bit more daring then it would be perfect. Actually maybe it's just like Chelsea et al who are to blame
    *snip* Premiership is the finest in Europe. Do not judge the best league by the worst teams.

EDIT BY BoB: Do not instruct people in such a manner.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    *By wrestling I don't mean for reals wrestling; I mean the cool kind with lots of stunts and some real dedication when it comes to acting (however poor the acting might be).
    You sure about that?
    5 Reasons Pro Wrestlers are the Best Actors in the World | Cracked.com

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    You sure about that?
    5 Reasons Pro Wrestlers are the Best Actors in the World | Cracked.com
    I read that! Like I said, they're very very dedicated, but it's like watching a soap opera xD

Come on wrestling is the worst on TV.

PS: That wrestler Dino Bravo was murdered in the 90s. He was balls deep in some gangster . I had a sticker of him when I was a youngun.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 05-14-2011 at 05:22 AM.