Thread: What's the mathematic formula for the volume of a half cone?

Pink Grin What's the mathematic formula for the volume of a half cone?

Let's say we have a cone, and then we cut away the top of it so we get a shape similar to a bucket - how do you write the volume formula for this?
    I thought it would be very easy to find out, just subtract the volume of the part you cut away from the volume of the cone as it looked in the beginning - but I always manage to get the height from the part I cut away into the equation.
    I suppose trigonometry would make this easier, but I'm not sure how to use it here.
    Last edited by *Laurelindo*; 05-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I would go along with the whole "subtract the amount you took away" routine.

I'm going to move this to the Help Forum.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I would go along with the whole "subtract the amount you took away" routine.
    Yeah, but the problem with that is that I want the formula to be completely independent on the part I subtract from it;
    so that you won't have to estimate the height of that figure everytime you want to find out the volume of this bucket-figure thing.
    Basically a formula that only uses variables found in the figure itself.

I tested if you could use the average area of the top and bottom and then calculate everything as if the figure were a cylinder, but that doesn't seem to work either, nor does the average of their radii (or that's what I imagine).
    Last edited by *Laurelindo*; 05-11-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You would need to know the height/diameters of your 'bucket' and the angles of the slopes in order to calculate the volume, and as the height of the 'missing cone' can be calculated by those variables alone, you should be able to calculate everything. Nothing should ever be estimated!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

there's some stupid integration, you'd integrate all the way around the circle, then integrate again along the length of whatever was left. I don't like cal 3 and can't tell you though.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

r and R are the radii of the circles on the top and bottom of the figure. h is the height of the figure.

V = π(r<sup>2</sup> +r*R + R<sup>2</sup>)h/3

Also this shape is called a Frustum.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    r and R are the radii of the circles on the top and bottom of the figure. h is the height of the figure.

I think you can derive that from calculus, yes, but it been years since I've done that Interestingly, that formula also works for a normal cone as well, because it's just a special case frustum with one circle with radius 0 - substituting one of the radii with 0 wil give you the well-known formula for the volume of a cone
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by crono_logical View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post

I think you can derive that from calculus, yes, but it been years since I've done that Interestingly, that formula also works for a normal cone as well, because it's just a special case frustum with one circle with radius 0 - substituting one of the radii with 0 wil give you the well-known formula for the volume of a cone
    Conical Frustum -- from Wolfram MathWorld

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

find the height and width of the section removed, and take the volume of the section away from the total. how is this hard?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    find the height and width of the section removed, and take the volume of the section away from the total. how is this hard?
    You don't know the height of the full cone though, and finding that would be a lot more work than using what you already know.

Articles
    Blog Entries

use h1 and h2, h1 being the height of the entire cone, and h2 being the the second one. or how about:

(h/2 x (r/2 x r/2)pi) /3
    you get the cone cut in two halves, then the radius will be half the original

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    use h1 and h2, h1 being the height of the entire cone, and h2 being the the second one.

You do not know h<sub>1</sub> though. All you do know are the radius of the top circle, the radius of the bottom circle, and the distance between the two circles.

Articles
    Blog Entries

okay, I will call the radius of the big circle R
    the little one r
    and the distance between h
    okay you take the sin(-1) of 1/2 the difference of R and r over hypoteuse which is the square root of that same number squared plus the height squared to get the angle of the cone on a 2 dimensional plane, then you treat that "cone" triangle as an isosceles, so you double that angle, subtract from 180, and divide by two, you now have the numbers needed to solve the equasion, that most recent number is half the angle of the 3rd angle of the triangle, and you have the distance from the first angle to the middle R, and so its just tangent of the half angle at the top of the triangle x R, now you have the full height of the cone, I assume you can do the rest.