Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Game is This?

Default What Game is This?

Alright, so I was thinking today, and I remembered a computer game I used to play, but I don't know what it's called. I was wanting to see if any of you know it? Also, if we get it figured out, I guess this can be a thread for that game.

Well, the start is of course character creation. You can make up to five or six characters, choose male or female, their class, and then the color of their clothes. You start out in this snowy area, and the entrance to the monster infested area is to the left of the town. It's shaped kind of like a hairpin. There are groups of goblins and goblin archers in this area, and at the end of the little corridor is a cave. Inside the cave, there's more monsters, but unfortunately I don't remember anything else. The gameplay is kind of like Arcanum, except you control all 5 or 6 party members at once. It also looks kind of like Arcanum, but the graphics are a little worse. I'm sorry I really can't remember any more, but that's the best I can do. I'm sure I'll know it when I see it, though. Does anyone have any idea?

Could be one of the Might and Magic games. I only say that because I know you create a party roughly of five at the start of each game (I think anyway). Other than that I'm clueless. Sorry.

EDIT - Heroes of Might and Magic IV is my best guess.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 05-11-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Nah, it wasn't a MaM game. I do remember a little more; I'm pretty sure it had a Diablo like inventory system, meaning all items have a designated size, but weights don't make any difference.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wouldn't be Icewind Dale would it?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah sounds like Icewind Dale to me.

Yeah, that's it! Thank you guys.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Try Baldur's Gate on the PC. It's a lot like it. It even has the same engine!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think this has been the most successful "halp what game is this" thread EoFF has ever seen. What's Icewind Dale like?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Icewind Dale was a Forgotten Realms game meaning it is similar in design, style and even shares common story plots with Bauldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Gameplay wise, very similar to Bauldur's Gate as stated it shares the same engine as it, so it has a strong D&D rule set. In the Forgotten Realms books series, Icewind Dale is a story of Drizzt Do'Urden written by R.A. Salvatore set prior to the hunters blade trilogy.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I think this has been the most successful "halp what game is this" thread EoFF has ever seen. What's Icewind Dale like?
    Baldur's Gate, but colder.

Well, as long as this thread is up, I might as well pop in, because there is a game I have been trying to remember for a while now as well.

The problem is, it's old. As in, floppy disk based. It was set in feudal Japan, and featured a couple gameplay modes. The main one I remember was the dungeon crawl, where you got a top-down map similar to the old Ultima games, and controlled your little ninja/samarai dude as he explored enemy fortresses looking for enemies to slaughter and the leader of the forces, who was typically your target. And you could kill him instantly if you found him sleeping, or challenge him to a duel if he was all awake.

Beyond that, I don't remember much. But I do seem to remember enjoying it. Ah, nostalgia.

Also, given the number of these threads that have bounced around, why don't we just sticky one and have everyone ask in the same thread? Keep the information consolidated, and pop up old gems for people who may not have played them?
    Last edited by Skyblade; 05-13-2011 at 04:39 AM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I think that's a good idea Skyblade. I also think I know what game you're looking for, but I seem to have forgotten the name, as well.

PS: I remember why I quit Icewind Dale. Saving after every battle because the easiest enemy in the game can get lucky and kill a character sucks. And versing a group of 20 monsters while trying to not let anyone die sucks more.

Dang, showed up too late. I've still got Icewind Dale 2 on my desk, actually :P

Blog Entries

I could have sworn it was Gran Turismo 2.

there was a picture here