Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Silver Items are used in fiction...

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default When Silver Items are used in fiction...

Like how you see things like "S/he can no longer touch a Silver Item, without causing himself/herself great pain", "S/he will be killed by a Silver Item". Do they mean the item is made of silver, or it's colored silver?

Blog Entries

If it looks silver. This is why the shoe from Monopoly is so effective against mummies.

If the reference is to specific powers of an item, it almost always refers to the metal.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's a reference to either the metal silver or if it's quicksilver then it's mercury. Silver is incompatible with life, while Mercury is quite toxic, fun to play with, and a key ingredient in Medieval "science" (Alchemy), as well as Medicine.

Rule of thumb.
    Solid = Silver
    Liquid = Mercury

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Metals are pretty important with regards to folk tales and legends. Werewolves can only be killed with a bullet made of silver, elves cannot touch anything that is made of iron. (remember Dark Elf in ff4)

if it's capitalized, you can be very sure that it is the metal itself, and not the color. But consider; if it is the color, something has to be making it appear that way, and fantasy settings aren't very fond of paint.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you list some specific examples of this? The only thing I can think of is silver and werewolves.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's an indication of going overbudget so the story is continuing in black-and-white only
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The color silver? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Can you list some specific examples of this? The only thing I can think of is silver and werewolves.
    It often burns vampires too.

Blog Entries

If it was the silver colour then disabling a werewolf would be as simple as throwing the spare change you have in your pocket at it.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 05-17-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

That would be kind of fun. Someone make that video game.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This. Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear.

PS: Also, while we're on the subject, is there any reason why, when someone becomes one they always turn evil, regardless of whether they're a good person when still human (other than "because it's cool")?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    If it was the silver colour than disabling a werewolf would be as simple as throwing the spare change you have in your pocket at it.
    Yes because there's soo much silver in the average coin For the most part they're made of Zinc. with a nickle/copper/silver coating

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    If it was the silver colour than disabling a werewolf would be as simple as throwing the spare change you have in your pocket at it.
    Yes because there's soo much silver in the average coin For the most part they're made of Zinc. with a nickle/copper/silver coating

PS: Also, while we're on the subject, is there any reason why, when someone becomes one they always turn evil, regardless of whether they're a good person when still human (other than "because it's cool")?
    I would say it mostly comes with creatures, like vampires and werewolves, being associated with the Devil or other nefarious beings. It could also be, to a lesser degree, a factor of losing one's "soul," which is typically theorized as being the sole separation between "good" and "evil." There are several standouts that go against the whole "evil creature of the night" archetype though.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    This. Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear.

Along with what Bunny has already said, I would think it has something to do with turning into a "wild animal". Werewolves are typically unaware of their actions in a lot of fiction.