Thread: Movies nowdays

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Movies nowdays

I think people are too harsh on the movie industry these days. I noticed it when Transformers came out, people were throwing fits about all the explosions. They're giant smurfing robots, explosions are necessary. I also didn't get the problem with Revenge of the Fallen. I watched a ty pirated version of it but I thought it was still a pretty entertaining movie.

I left Thor the other day and overheard some shut-in comic book nerd whining about how they " all over it". I thought it was pretty good, much better than some of the stuff Marvel has put out in the past.

Anyone else feel this way? Any movies you feel get too much criticism from whiny fanboys or self proclaimed movie critics?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I hated transformers because I couldn't see a smurfing thing, not because there were too many explosions.

I think in general movies today are doing alright though, we've had the best version of the Batman series to date, Some of my favourite all time movies have come out in the last few years (Scott Pilgrim, 500 days of Summer and Black Swan), and there's some really awesome acting at the moment. I think there's always going to be good with the bad, and personally I'm so sick of cliche superhero movies, but you just have to learn to deal with the fact that everyone has different opinions and that it's not the end of the world when someone has different tastes in movies.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It bugs me when people are unable to separate movies from other forms of media, especially books. "Oh, this two hour movie left out so many details that I loved when I spend seven hours reading the book!" Or "Oh, this movie that's made to appeal to a wide audience altered some of the trufax from one of the versions of the comic that I like!"

That's some douchey behavior right thar.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Transformers movies were bad though.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

In whatever era, you'll get a few great movies, some really awful ones and a lot of mediocrity. That said, the ever increasing sequelitis and remake fever is a pain. It just means you have to dig a little deeper to find the good stuff, be it more esoteric fare like Black Swan or the summer films that rise above the usual laziness (Christopher Nolan's recent output, Pixar etc).

In the end the moral is don't listen to obsessives who complain about any adaptation (Thor got a pretty decent reception on the whole) and don't watch Transformers as it's crap on every level.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by eternal essence
    ... but you just have to learn to deal with the fact that everyone has different opinions and that it's not the end of the world when someone has different tastes in movies.
    Oh, no, I don't actually care that other people have different taste in movies than I do, I'm just wondering why it's so hard for some people to find anything good in movies. I see it a lot on the internet, and I understand that it's because everyone on the internet is the most awesome person and their opinion is the opinion, but I hardly ever see it in daily life, and that's kind of what started me thinking this. That fella in Thor had the most disgusted look on his face when talking to his friends. If I had read any Thor comics previous to watching the movie I might have grumbled a bit when they (SPOILER)referenced Donald Blake as they did or at some other "injustice", but to be that angry at a comic book adaptation is a strange concept to me.

... that tangent I went on made me forget exactly why I singled out that specific line.

Basically, what I think I'm trying to get at is that I don't care that others don't like certain movies, I was just curious to see what movies people enjoyed that don't get a lot of nice things said about them.

Edit: This whole thing seems like I'm trying to start something, but I'm too tired to redo it. I just want to know why you don't like Star Wars, EoFF!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    The Transformers movies were bad though.
    Go make a soda v. pop debate thread, little guy. Us grown-ups are discussing things.

Blog Entries

People love to complain, but they always come back for more, evidence being the insane amount of tickets sold for each of the Transformers movies. A friend of mine is exactly like this. Claims to loathe Michael Bay and his movie, but he is always the first one to get tickets to his movies. Classy, I know. But, that's how people roll today.

Blog Entries

And here I thought adults liked movies beyond slow-mo tits and explosions. My bad. Now I'm off to watch more Megan Fox movies.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

If I understand comic books well enough, then it's absolutely imperative that you all over the comic when making a movie. You know what retarded goes on in comic books? BAT-BABY.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    If I understand comic books well enough, then it's absolutely imperative that you all over the comic when making a movie. You know what retarded goes on in comic books? BAT-BABY.
    Lois and Lana brainwashing Superbaby to love them.

Or pretty much anything about Silver Age Superman.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

So you don't like it when people criticize movies with valid reasoning? Also about the Thor most comic nerds I've heard on the net like it.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I never said I "don't like" it, though I can see how it's coming across as that. I didn't make this to push my opinion of movies, I'm curious to see what movies you feel get too much criticism... just in too many words.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't like the trends of sequels and 3D and butchering popular novels, and the more people go see those movies the less room it leaves for truly innovative films to get made. I'd love to see a dozen Inception-type movies every year instead of just one.

So I do like it when people are harsh on these films because it sends a message to Hollywood that they have to try a bit harder. I liked Transformers for what it was but the more money those movies make the less that will go to something that actually tries to be different and tell a story.

That being said, there will always be critics that will hate on a movie because it isn't 100% true to the comic/book/whatever even though it's nigh impossible to hundreds of pages or issues into a 2 hour film.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Any movies you feel get too much criticism from whiny fanboys or self proclaimed movie critics?
    Anything with a pre-existing fan base is almost always destined to get bitched about. I cannot think of one film, recently, that has not been bitched about in some way or another. Lord of the Rings is probably the most "flawless" franchise to come out in the last 10 years and it did not escape unscathed.

My problem with the Transformer movies lies not in the explosions (although those are gratuitous to the point of boredom). It was the complete lack of anything resembling a plot and the casting of pretty faces instead of actors who could act. Shia LaBeouf, no matter how hard he tries, is not fit to play the leading role in an action movie. Megan Fox is not attractive enough to be a bombshell and her acting skills are horrendous at best. Michael Bay also couldn't direct himself out of a wet paper bag.

Onto movies as a whole, the main issue that I have with them is that they lack a cohesive story to keep them together. Indie films, and those released by smaller studios, seem to have a better grasp on what makes a movie good than the studios who release summer blockbusters at a constant rate. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is a movie I thoroughly enjoy and have seen roughly three dozen times because it is worthy of constant viewing. I cannot think of another movie released recently that can evoke the same desire.

In short: I will stop complaining when the studios start releasing movies purely for cash purposes. I release that, at the very core, the entire film industry is a business whose sole desire is to make a lot of money. This does not mean that they need to cease any and all effort to do so.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If people stop paying to see crappy movies, they will stop making crappy movies. Not before. So it's up to us. Fortunately, there will always be independent directors and studios willing to put the effort into creating a well thought out visual story.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum