View Poll Results: Do you like 3D movies?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 14.29%
  • No

10 71.43%
  • Why are you asking me? I'm a squirrel!!!!!

2 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I really want to feel like I'm in the movie?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only seen three films in 3D so far: Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and How to Train Your Dragon.
    With the exception of Alice, I've also seen them on the big screen in 2D. Out of those three films, How to Train Your Dragon was the only one which I felt had consistent and genuinely immersive 3D. It was also the only entirely CGI flick of the three, which may also be a factor. No darkening, no flickering, no awkward 'carboard cutouts placed at different distances from the screen' effects.

Still, of the films whcih I've seen in both formats, neither lost anything when seen in 2 dimensions rather than 3. If anything, Avatar worked a little better for me on a flat screen.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hate hate hate.

I actually think I would have liked Avatar MORE if I hadn't watched it in 3D. The glasses dim everything and are ill-fitting and the 3D effects were distracting more than anything else.

That was the last 3D movie I watched, and I won't watch another one again if I can help it. Or unless they drastically improve the technology.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've seen a lot of movies in 3D simply by virtue of 2D versions not being released here. I also hate 3D. I'd be rather annoyed by it regardless since a sizable chunk of the population can't even process the 3D images properly, but it's also a blatant money grab that offers nothing of any real value. Even Avatar which easily had the best use of 3D yet didn't dramatically improve anything by using it. It was cool that it added depth to a lot of the scenes (rather than the standard, have some stuff pop out at the audience and call it a day) but it didn't make the movie any better. Once the neatness of it wears off, and it does quickly, you're left with the same old movie, but with a picture that isn't quite as clear or easy to focus on even if you can process 3D pretty well.

Perhaps even worse is that with ever increasing pressure to tack it on wherever possible, we may see it one day actually detracting from movies. The example I like to think of is Inception with the endless staircase. It's a good thing Nolan has been pretty opposed to using 3D thus far because those scenes literally could not work in 3D.

Nothing made me happier than Thor being released in 2D here as well as 3D for a change. I'm sick of paying for a stupid gimmick every time a movie I want to see comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Justy View Post
    Unless it's 3D IMAX, I don't bother. The standard 3D sucks and is clearly a cheesy gimmick to get an extra $6 from my wallet.
    YES! Finally someone other than me who understands this. Non-IMAX 3D (like that Real 3D crap) is awful.
    I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D IMAX and that is definitely the way to go.

Most films I've seen are in 2 and 3D. The only film I've ever seen in 3D is Jackass 3, and the only part I even noticed the 3D was when the dildo came flying out the screen, it looked pretty good.
    That said, I'm not a fan of 3D overall.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like 3d, and it seems to be the future of movies..
    today every movie comes out in 3d >.< and it costs extra in the cinema..
    I guess its now waiting for the glasses to disapear Nintendo proofed that its possible

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To this day, I don't think anything beat The Final Destination in terms of 3D quality - including movies that I liked better than The Final Destination...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was watching a video the other day of an unveiling of an 85" 33 megapixel TV, and all I could think was that, in the future, we will have to start treating gamers--especially first person shooter players--for PTSD.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I want a TV that big.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I think it is a gimmick that is not very good. The last film I watched was Avatar, which is pretty much the very best example of it . Heck I was completely impressed

and guess what - after a few minutes I started to filter out the 3D effect. And when I watched Avatar in 2D it didn't matter it was in 2D