View Poll Results: Do you like 3D movies?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 14.29%
  • No

10 71.43%
  • Why are you asking me? I'm a squirrel!!!!!

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I really want to feel like I'm in the movie?

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Do I really want to feel like I'm in the movie?

3D movies everyone. Do you love them? Do you hate them? Do you think it improves the cinema experience? I myself are not too pushed. I mean it's cool & all but does every single movie need to be in 3D really?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I avoid seeing movies in 3D, saves me a bunch of money. ;P Not to mention most of it just pointless money-grabbing, suckering in gullible people that think it will improve their cinema experience. Unless the movie is explicitly made to be seen in 3D, I don't see the point.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like 3D movies which are made with 3D in mind, rather than ones that are made for 3D.

The few 3D films I've seen so far have left me cold. There have been very few times when the 3D effect has somewhat enhanced the experience (most notably a few moments in Avatar and Tangled) but for the most part it hasn't been anything exceptional. I can live without such a money-grubbing gimmick, especially because most films use the effect only as an afterthought which adds no value whatsoever to a film.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

I can't wait until 4D.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tron Legacy in 3D was beautiful. Avatar in 3D was pretty as well.

Pretty much every other movie looks like a bag of dicks in 3D because they're converted instead of filmed in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I can't wait until 4D.
    They'd have those at Disneyland and Sea World for years.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Sometimes I love it, other times I regret dishing out the money for it.

A good example of when I loved it was the live-action Alice in Wonderland. The movie was freaking gorgeous and the 3D work was flawless. Stuff really looked like it was right there in front of you and the backdrops really looked like you were sitting right there in them. I loved it.

But most 3D movies I've seen have either completely failed at doing it and just tacked on "IN 3D!" to sell more tickets (the new Clash of the Titans is a perfect example of this) and the movie ends up having virtually nothing in 3D but the occassional ship sail or wall, or in the aformentioned film's case, NOTHING, or they're basically made around the assumption that you're going to see them for the 3D and nothing else; Resident Evil: Afterlife was like this. A who gives a crap story followed by two hours of action sequences where bullets or blown out brains are flying in your face, and while it's awesome to look at, two hours of nothing but this without any other redeeming qualities for the film to fall back on gets boring.

I've yet to see an animated film in 3D. Somehow I think it'd be perfect for them and work a lot better than it does with most live-action films.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Of the various 3D movies I've seen thus far, only Avatar has been worth shelling out the extra cash for. Most of the others were animated Disney/Pixar/etc movies and I feel the 3D glasses take away the vibrant colours which animated films benefit so much from.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

3D movies make me dizzy. They've come out with this new thing now that you can create avatars and them actually be in the movie and make comments and stuff through live chat with the avatars. Other people can see you through this. It's like well you mind as well not be watching a movie then.

Blog Entries

I like a well done 3d movie but after a few minutes for some reason everything merges into 2d and I dont notice the 3d anymore unless i close an eye and open it again
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The only movies I've seen in 3D are Captain EO, Avatar, and How to Train Your Dragon. I despise the trend of every single movie being in 3D. 3D should be reserved for movies that specifically utilize the technology, like Avatar.

I'm not a big fan of 3D in general even for the movies I've seen. I find it disorienting and it detracts from the experience.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

3D gives me headaches so no, I don't care, and no, I don't think it "enhances the experience" as the marketing teams try to tell you. Walking out of Avatar with a migraine is not a fun movie experience for me.

If a film engrosses you, it will engross you, if it can't hold your interest then making objects pop out of the screen like a children's pop-up book isn't going to make a difference.

Unless it's 3D IMAX, I don't bother. The standard 3D sucks and is clearly a cheesy gimmick to get an extra $6 from my wallet.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I don't mind one way or the other. Films that use 3D effectively are fantastic though.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Justy View Post
    Unless it's 3D IMAX, I don't bother. The standard 3D sucks and is clearly a cheesy gimmick to get an extra $6 from my wallet.
    YES! Finally someone other than me who understands this. Non-IMAX 3D (like that Real 3D crap) is awful.
    I like Kung-Fu.