Thread: Trading Card Games

Default Trading Card Games

What games are out there?

I recently found my GameBoy Pokémon TCG game. So much fun. I used to love the card game when I was a kid, even more than the video game. I have no cards anymore.

Some of my friends like Magic. I've tried playing it once but.... :freak: oh man trying to learn a card game with a group of socially awkward smurfs isn't exactly pleasant.

I remember my brother liked Yu-Gi-Oh, and I played that with him when we were younger. I liked that one too.

I also remember a Simpsons Trading Card Game, but I never got to play it with anyone. I would just buy the cards.

Maybe I'm just too old to have fun with them anymore.

The main problem with TCGs is overcomplication. They start out fine, but each new set adds new rules and cards (in order to increase incentive to keep spending money), which only wind up ruining balance and destroying the learning curve.

Try stepping into YuGiOh now. You will be utterly lost amid the hundreds of variations on the rules that came out since the original game. Some of the others have faired better, but there is a reason why Magic: The Gathering keeps releasing "intro" sets like the Portal expansion.

Oh, and I've only played the Pokemon TCG on the GameBoy, but it was the most laughably broken TCG I've ever played. As soon as you understand the rules, you could exploit the heck out of them and almost never lose.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to play the heck out of my Pokemon TCG Gameboy game when I was younger. I wish I could find that cartridge again just to play it for nostalgia's sake. I also used to really enjoy the Yu-Gi-Oh game when I was younger, but it has been years since I've played that game and a lot has changed about the game since then.

A game that I do enjoy playing now is a game called Redemption. It is a Christian card game with characters based around the Bible. It is actually a really good game, and it is the longest running trading card game outside of Magic if I understand correctly.nA neat thing about that game is that they have a policy of never banning cards. The difficult thing about that is that when cards seem broken, they will issue an errata that weakens the card so the game will no longer be broken. It can sometimes be a challenge remembering what some of the cards do, but it generally is not a problem. They have a forum which has all of the card erratas and rulings as well, and if you have questions on what would happen in certain situations in game you can post questions on the website and people are generally pretty quick at posting answers (unless it becomes too divisive, then the ruling will take a while). I went to a couple of their tournaments last year and they have a pretty cool community of players as well. It is a solid TCG and worth looking into if you enjoy card games, even if you aren't into the whole Christianity thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Why are y'all putting Gameboy next to Pokemon TCG?

Well I just beat the Gameboy Pokémon TCG in 5 hours. I don't remember it being that easy.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    The main problem with TCGs is overcomplication. They start out fine, but each new set adds new rules and cards (in order to increase incentive to keep spending money), which only wind up ruining balance and destroying the learning curve.
    Not to mention that they add a bunch of useless cards which means to be competitive you have to either keep buying more boosters or purchase the good stuff for a high price on Ebay and whatnot.

I'll mention the game Yomi though since it is pretty much the exact opposite of that. It's designed to be a card game that simulates a fighting game. I haven't gotten a copy yet and haven't played it, but you can either buy the whole thing in one set for $100, or buy packs of two complete character decks (as in all you need to play the characters you buy) for $25.

It uses really high quality card stock and is also designed by David Sirlin. For those who don't know, he's played fighting games competitively for years and was also responsible for rebalancing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo for its HD Remix release. I also own his two other games (Puzzle Strike and Flash Duel) he's released so far and can say they're not only some of the finest quality games I've played, but very well balanced and fun so I'm sure Yomi is no exception. This guy knows how to make great games. If you have someone to play them with I'd recommend any and all of his games really.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Why are y'all putting Gameboy next to Pokemon TCG?
    No clue.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

The flying homo! Recognized Member Giga Guess's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

I love Magic the Gathering. It's fun watching the game grow, and evolve. Finding the fun combos to abuse, and break...love it so much!

Many thanks Christmas!
    Horniest Member, 2007! Gimme a little unf unf!

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I used to play MtG somewhat religiously, but I got out of touch and all these new rules are killing me. Now, when my friends and I play, we stick to the rules that we know xD

I also used to collect the Pokemon cards and my friends and acquaintances would battle and the winner would get the card of the Pokemon they beat. I remember my first card was a Voltorb. I loved that card.

Yu-Gi-Oh! was the bomb for a while, I absolutely loved playing the original one. I had a total kick ass deck. I used to make my little brother cry I'd beat him so bad!

There was Digimon for a while, but I was the only one in my neighborhood cool enough to play, so I gave up.

For a little while I collected the Dragon Ball Z cards, but again, with no one to play with, I gave up.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Justy View Post
    GameBoy Pokémon TCG game.
    This. Game. Was. Awesome.

I had a water/grass deck that I titled "Bulbasaur Rainforest" and it was nigh unstoppable. My Gyrados brings all the boys to the yard

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i loved that whole card-trading stuff at the lower school. i had quite a lot of those cards :o
    too bad i cant find them anymore would have been awesome to see them again xD

For some reason I was the only one of my friends who actually understood how to battle with the Pokémon TCG, so we just collected them.

We did battle with Yu-Gi-Oh! at school for a while, but I think they were banned because some kid probably complained and they like banning stuff like that...

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Pokemon cards were banned at my elementary school in Germany too. It was terrible. We couldn't even have them on the play ground during recess. It was completely unfair. I feel like they may have just been jealous of how cool we were at so young an age.