Thread: Tactics vs Advance vs War of the Lions

Default Tactics vs Advance vs War of the Lions

Which is the best version to play? The PS1, GBA or PSP version?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Advance is a completely different game. While still very good, the tone differs greatly from the original. And about the original, I've only played tWotL, but it was awesome and I can definitely recommend it

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

WotL is superior in every way except for the fact that there is a very noticeable slowdown in the in battle skill animations. After a little bit I got used to them and they didn't bother me, but FFT isn't a fast action packed game to begin with and I can easily see them turning people off. Just watch a youtube clip of both games begin played to see what I mean.

Advance is a completely different game, and though highly regarded I don't like it. There is somewhat of a contingent that likes FFT but not FFTA, but it is rare to hear of people who don't like FFT but do like FFTA. So FFT is the place to start.

Yeah, both the PSX and the PSP versions are flawed in their own ways. The PSX version's translation is laughable, and doesn't offer all the content from the PSP version. However, the PSP version has that ridiculous slow down every time a spell is cast that for smurfs sake should have been fixed before they sent the game to retail.

Advance is a fun game, but works in a totally different way. A2 is.... horrible.

I already own the PSP version. Picked it up while it was going cheap. I've been looking at Advance and it does look good. But as it has been said, a completely different game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Justy View Post
    Yeah, both the PSX and the PSP versions are flawed in their own ways. The PSX version's translation is laughable, and doesn't offer all the content from the PSP version. However, the PSP version has that ridiculous slow down every time a spell is cast that for smurfs sake should have been fixed before they sent the game to retail.

Advance is a fun game, but works in a totally different way. A2 is.... horrible.
    Oh, IMO it is far from horrible. The main story is lacking, to say the least, yes. But the battle system got a solid makeover, making it even more enjoyable. The new races and jobs are neat, and the new mission objectives break the monotony of endless battles. Plus, the mini-stories in some quest lines are really awesome.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The PSP version of Tactics is better. It has its issues (slow down during certain attacks, removed the random spell casting chants, and changed how you got some equipment) but overall, the better translation, the additional sidequests, and expanded unit numbers are awesome additions. The new cell shaded cutscenes are beautiful and well done, it grants two new jobs, and the two new secret characters are fun additions to the game.

As you've learned Tactics Advance is a different series. Tactics Advance has a really good story but Tactics A2 has the better gameplay and feels less like a streamlined FFTactics. Unfortunately TA2 has a very weak story but the side stories are pretty amazing.

WotL is better simply because you have essentially 2 ramzas at the end, and one of them has the poach ability w/o having to equip it. Seriously, Luso rocks! Also, the extra classes are pretty awesome. I also liked the lots of extra quests and more detail to some of the story characters.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Justy View Post

Oh, IMO it is far from horrible. The main story is lacking, to say the least, yes. But the battle system got a solid makeover, making it even more enjoyable. The new races and jobs are neat, and the new mission objectives break the monotony of endless battles. Plus, the mini-stories in some quest lines are really awesome.
    Yeah. The primary plot of FFTA2 was really lackluster. Quite unfortunate. But the rest of the game is seriously awesome. There is so much to do in that world, and so many other plots to explore, each of which are really well written (especially the introduction of Frimelda, one of my all-time favorite FF characters). Apart from the main plot, I don't see anything holding this game back.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

The first FF I ever played was Tactics Advance, so I have a soft spot for that title. Personally, I think War of the Lions is by far the best game. Now, what I would really like to see is a game with the depth and tone of WotL but taking the best gameplay elements of TA and TA2 (I don't believe TA2 was an improvement in everything TA was).