Thread: Back to the Future

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin Back to the Future

If I understood the timeline correctly, in the beginning of the film George was being bullied by Biff and Lorraine was fat and depressed. So Marty gets a call to Doc Brown and then the Lybians kill everybody and Marty goes back in time then back to the present

Here's my question: according to the updated timeline when new Marty travels to the present (but the engine stalls), you have UPDATED MARTY from a timeline where George writes Sci Fi and Lorraine is fit and not depressed, and Marty's sister is a whore and his brother works at the office.

So what happened prior to doc brown being killed in this reality? Did everything happen the same way as it did at the start of the film (Marty failed his audition, Jennifer's father is a cock block)? Marty was shown the truck later, so were they delivering the truck to the McFly residence?

I find it odd to watch the same scene with two different sets of contexts - one with Marty who doesn't look up to his father and the other where he should be looking up to his father, but we don't get to see the revised reality.

Furthermore did Doc Brown die in the first timeline or was he wearing the bulletproof vest all along? According to BTTF 2 there are multiple timelines, but you can never go back to the old ones, so I find it easier to just imagine one timeline that gets overwritten over and over (this is why Marty disappears even though his timeline is separate from the one where he kisses his mother)

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Time line questions are always a hornet's nest.

All I know is that Marty had a hover board, and that was pretty cool. Even if it was pink.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe it's multiple timelines splitting off from decision points but once Marty involves himself in a particular timeline it becomes a part of his destiny. There have to be multiple timelines, otherwise how can there be multiple Martys?

As far as the fate of Doc Brown, it doesn't matter, does it? Because Marty will never experience that particular timeline again. It was altered.

I don't think Marty gets updated memories when the timeline is altered. What I don't understand is ok. In Back to the Future it seems as if time traveling Marty replaces himself in the timeline. So when he goes back to the Future, he does see himself escaping from the Libyans. But where does that Marty, the second Marty who escapes in the Future where Doc Brown lives, where does he go?!

Signature by rubah. I think.

Haha. So it begins. Damned time lines.

Marty came back and saw his past self (well, present self) escaping from the Lybians, but he'd returned to his present from the past. So they should have called the movie Back to the Present, but anway. He was just watching himself about to go back in time the way he just had.

Unless you're talking about BTTF 2, and not the original. Maybe there's something I've forgotten about.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

Marty came back and saw his past self (well, present self) escaping from the Lybians, but he'd returned to his present from the past. So they should have called the movie Back to the Present, but anway. He was just watching himself about to go back in time the way he just had.

Unless you're talking about BTTF 2, and not the original. Maybe there's something I've forgotten about.
    I don't have BTTF2 memorized but it doesn't have anything to do with the original 1985 timeline. You might be thinking of BTTF3 but that takes place AFTER the events of BTTF1

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, I had never thought about this aspect of the first movie too much before, but you're right, if you look at this too closely it does all unravel. Even more so than it already did that is. But it's still no worse than Back to the Future 2 where Doc says they can't travel back to the future to stop old Biff from stealing the time machine because history changed. Except old Biff already did exactly that which is how they had the time machine at that point in the movie anyway.

Really though, this is not a series that was ever supposed to be examined in too much detail when it comes to the time travel logic behind it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

There's that word again! "Heavy"! Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem in the Earth's gravitational pull?

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    There's that word again! "Heavy"! Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem in the Earth's gravitational pull?
    quiet paul. asl?

as for vivi's comment, zemeckis is so insane that he should have figured out the paradoxes (as the film's just filled with them) that his own narrative would cause.

edit:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/6522...e_trilogy.html
    Last edited by Peegee; 05-26-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

I don't have BTTF2 memorized but it doesn't have anything to do with the original 1985 timeline. You might be thinking of BTTF3 but that takes place AFTER the events of BTTF1
    I was saying the only thing I remember about BTTF 2 is the sweet board, and those bitchin' futuristic sunglasses. Some fast food joint was giving out BTTF 2 style sunglasses for the movie promotion, too.

I think seeing himself running from the Lybians makes as much sense as any other time travel situation. He left, did some crazy in the 1950's (heavy petting with his mom ), and came back just in time to watch it all start over again.

That's all I know.