Page 101 of 132 FirstFirst ... 5181919596979899100101102103104105106107111121 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1973

Thread: MLP:FiM Megathread: Does anyone even watch this show anymore edition

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    MJN: This might be of use to you: Everypony Sings

Chris: I LOVED THAT MOVIE. It is so underrated.
    Thank you. That's excelent. I really appreciate your help. I will add what I need to the article when I can (my computer won't allow me to use that site correctly yet.)

/)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Okay, for the longest time, I have resisted watching this show. So, finally, I watched episode 1-3, and it was actually pretty good. I hate that I liked it as much as I did. Also, Rarity scares me.
    That's how most of us start. Welcome to the herd - there is no escape!
    The stereotype characters are the best part, in my view.

Oh and yeah, actually I watched the first episode of G1. I never expected to see Spike! The entire pilot was actually a very similar storyline to FiM's 2-part pilot, only with a human prince instead of a pony princess.

It was okay. It definitely didn't scream "girly" as much as I expected. But I definitely thought it lacked FiM's humour and... how to describe it.. "air of charm" that makes me love it so much. Also Firefly < Rainbow Dash.

(The only thing with the fandom is it's managed to attract a lot of people with serious emotional health problems. It's wonderful that a simple animated show created some hope and happiness for these people, but it... certainly makes the fandom stressful at times. Unless it's just a ponychan thing, I don't know.)

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Okay, for the longest time, I have resisted watching this show. So, finally, I watched episode 1-3, and it was actually pretty good. I hate that I liked it as much as I did. Also, Rarity scares me.
    That's how most of us start. Welcome to the herd - there is no escape!
    The stereotype characters are the best part, in my view.

Oh and yeah, actually I watched the first episode of G1. I never expected to see Spike! The entire pilot was actually a very similar storyline to FiM's 2-part pilot, only with a human prince instead of a pony princess.

It was okay. It definitely didn't scream "girly" as much as I expected. But I definitely thought it lacked FiM's humour and... how to describe it.. "air of charm" that makes me love it so much. Also Firefly < Rainbow Dash.

(The only thing with the fandom is it's managed to attract a lot of people with serious emotional health problems. It's wonderful that a simple animated show created some hope and happiness for these people, but it... certainly makes the fandom stressful at times. Unless it's just a ponychan thing, I don't know.)
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Ponychan. I've been diving around in various parts of the fandom for about 9 months and the only real stress I've come across has been as a result of attempting to dissasociate the fandom with particularly creepy or negative news events (ie: Howard Stern, when Jerry Springer's people started hitting up the forums trying to find some insane clopper to put on TV, when TLC was looking for someone to feature on one of those "My weird obsession" style shows.) or a couple of outspoken tits on FimFiction.net that thought they were literary geniuses and would start flame wars on "lesser authors" stories.

On the whole I've found almost everyone to be very reasonable and emotionally stable.

Blog Entries

It was okay. It definitely didn't scream "girly" as much as I expected.
    Well yes... The first episode of of FIM was based on a fanfiction of the G1 TV Series that Lauren (creator of FIM) did when she was a child. A lot of the episodes are based on her fanfictions (though she herself only did the scripts for two of them.) They obviously starred G1 ponies though; as much as I love the FIM cast, I kind of sympathize with her not being able to put her old favorites in.

As I keep saying; FIM was made for kids, but it was also made by fans of the old generations, for fans of the old generations. You can see plenty of call backs to the older generations if you know where to look (but that is the most obvious one).

It's really awesome that you gave it a try though. It's my favorite G1 episode to be honest. /)
    Last edited by MJN SEIFER; 09-06-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't really notice a lot of negative press, but don't really look for it either. Thankfully because most of the FiM fandom seems to be intelligent, polite and overall cool people, when I've seen negative press (usually badly strung together by some arrogant traditionalist who hates the idea of males enjoying something previously reserved for females) it's usually been followed up by a higher-quality rebuttal that puts us back in a positive light with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Well yes... The first episode of of FIM was based on a fanfiction of the G1 TV Series that Lauren (creator of FIM) did when she was a child.
    Oh interesting, I didn't know that.

Indeed, it's neat that they've kept older fans in mind, even if it was originally meant as just keeping fans of the older gen series in mind. Now Hasbro just needs to realise a little more than they do already that we're the ones with the money If there still aren't any blu-rays and other things the older crowd would be interested in buying, there should be!
    (There's almost nothing in the UK, and if the series was on iTunes I'd buy it in 10 seconds flat)

Blog Entries

I don't really notice a lot of negative press, but don't really look for it either. Thankfully because most of the FiM fandom seems to be intelligent, polite and overall cool people, when I've seen negative press (usually badly strung together by some arrogant traditionalist who hates the idea of males enjoying something previously reserved for females) it's usually been followed up by a higher-quality rebuttal that puts us back in a positive light with interest.
    That's one of the many things I love about the brony fandom. Also, I find it funny that so many (both bronies and brony haters) don't realize that while the toyline was "researved for females" the TV show was not, at least not at first. It started out as a show for children, but when girls started following it more they tried to soften it a bit (it was the 80s-90s, the world was more stereotypical then) but while the first part of G1 simply made the bad guys less of a threat, and the second part - MLP Tales (no, it isn't G2) removed them altogether (Tales can be seen as an early humanized version of the more simple FIM episodes) it never really became girly, even when they tried to make it so (sans one, in my opinion, poorly written Tales episode). G3 was more girly, but I actually like that now too. FIM basically restored it to being an "everyone" show.

Oh interesting, I didn't know that.
    The More You Know. *shooting star*.

Yeah, a lot of the episodes are at the very least based on her old fanfictions (not all of them are) though a lot of them have scripts done by the other writers. Though a couple of things had to change (namely what ponies she wanted to use) it's really awesome that someone could actually make her fanfictions real like that. It's kind of motivating.

Indeed, it's neat that they've kept older fans in mind, even if it was originally meant as just keeping fans of the older gen series in mind.
    True. The funny thing is that, this is actually the reason bronies exist, which makes it funny that so many new bronies a quick to hate on the old versions until they realize this (thankfully very few of them do this now). Hasbro have definitely placed bronies as their official third target audience (behind kids first, and previous fans second), and have at least started putting things in the show for us; They included Derpy for us (and fought to keep her when things went wrong) they place certain ponies together in scenes for us (ironically two of these ponies were placed together before hand in the occasional scene because they "looked good together", but when bronies started, at the very least, "friendshipping" these two ponies, the animators started drawing them together more, on purpose, as a shout out to us), they use some of "our" names for us as long as they aren't copyrighted, and even then they try to appease us (Time Turner's official description reveals that they wanted him to be "Doctor Whooves" as much as most of us did) they also made Cadance an alicorn for us (though that's because they missunderstood what we were saying)

Now Hasbro just needs to realise a little more than they do already that we're the ones with the money If there still aren't any blu-rays and other things the older crowd would be interested in buying, there should be!
    (There's almost nothing in the UK, and if the series was on iTunes I'd buy it in 10 seconds flat)
    As long as the BluRays and DVDs don't suffer the same fate as most children's shows (just a handful of random episodes and no extras). Also I live in the UK too, and when it comes to ponies, our country sucks. The only channel to air them was Boomerang, and that channel did zero research on the show; they thought that the second half of Season 1 was Season 2, so God only knows what they'll say when Season 2 arrives - this like what the Americans did to Final Fantasy, but not as ludicrous. I've given up on waiting for them to get their act together, and am sticking to YouTube.

Blog Entries

G3 was more girly, but I actually like that now too. FIM basically restored it to being an "everyone" show.
    Nice. I may check out G3 some time. The style isn't really to my taste, and I love the.. how can I put it but "cooler".. anime style along with just how really universal it all feels, with the only slightly girly thing being the logo. But the episode of G1 wasn't what I'd consider bad, and I'm not one to judge something before trying. Hence getting into FiM in the first place

Obligatory:

Awesome indeed that the love and imagination she had for it was then used as a basis for the new series.
    I actually don't read up on this stuff all that much (as is evident!) but one neat story I read was from someone LF used to babysit who remembers drawing ponies with her.
    Equestria Daily: Childhood Memories of the Alicorn Across the Street
    Lovely little story.

The funny thing is that, this is actually the reason bronies exist, which makes it funny that so many new bronies a quick to hate on the old versions until they realize this (thankfully very few of them do this now).
    Hehe yeah. If there would be any dislike I have for older ones it'd be the 3.5 styling but it's hardly anything to hate on it over.
    I've noticed and loved the little nods to us.
    I'd even argue that there's been the occasional little bit of a nod to RainbowShy shipping, but that may just be me, with it being a ship I enjoy myself
    I squee'd when Derpy's name was used. Amazing. Pity it caused all the controversy though.

As long as the BluRays and DVDs don't suffer the same fate as most children's shows (just a handful of random episodes and no extras). Also I live in the UK too, and when it comes to ponies, our country sucks. The only channel to air them was Boomerang, and that channel did zero research on the show; they thought that the second half of Season 1 was Season 2, so God only knows what they'll say when Season 2 arrives - this like what the Americans did to Final Fantasy, but not as ludicrous. I've given up on waiting for them to get their act together, and am sticking to YouTube.
    I would think the FiM team would know and do better, they usually do!
    Agreed. From what I've heard you can get blind bags in Asda and Tesco now? So I may have a look around at some point. Because I wouldn't mind a couple of little ponies lined across my TV ;P But generally speaking we're rather lacking.
    Don't get me started on regionalisation on the internet. It drives me up the wall. I'm sat here with £40 or whatever poised ready to give them it for seasons 1 and 2. I want to support the show. They don't seem to want it!

Blog Entries

Nice. I may check out G3 some time. The style isn't really to my taste, and I love the.. how can I put it but "cooler".. anime style along with just how really universal it all feels, with the only slightly girly thing being the logo. But the episode of G1 wasn't what I'd consider bad, and I'm not one to judge something before trying. Hence getting into FiM in the first place
    That's an excelent way to look at it. I would sugest looking at episodes that aren't about the "Core 7" (G3 version of the Mane 6) as well as the episodes that are about them. I still like the Core 7 episodes, but the majoirty of them are pretty much the same thing. Though I may just be looking at the "introduction" episodes. Each Core 7 has a party episode, and that just seems to be a quick way of showing her personality.
    Obligatory:
    Seriously, how did I not see that coming?

Awesome indeed that the love and imagination she had for it was then used as a basis for the new series.
    I actually don't read up on this stuff all that much (as is evident!) but one neat story I read was from someone LF used to babysit who remembers drawing ponies with her.
    Equestria Daily: Childhood Memories of the Alicorn Across the Street
    Lovely little story.
    Awww. Thanks for showing me that, that's really awesome - I barely have any words for it.

I've noticed and loved the little nods to us. I squee'd when Derpy's name was used. Amazing. Pity it caused all the controversy though.
    It's really nice that they're including them isn't it? I even think I read somewhere that an OC was used in an episode, but I can't remember if it was a brony's OC, or a crew member's OC (I am not talking about A Canterlot Wedding when the storyboarder's OC was used). I actually had to go back to check that they really had said "Derpy". The controversy was stupid, and should have been over in seconds. At least it's all over now, and both versions are allowed to be shown.

I'd even argue that there's been the occasional little bit of a nod to RainbowShy shipping, but that may just be me, with it being a ship I enjoy myself
    Yay!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A message from Rarity.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    A message from Rarity.

First reaction: This is brilliantly voiced, and well acted.
    Second reaction: Huh?! I thought it was pronounced "memm-ay"

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    A message from Rarity.

First reaction: This is brilliantly voiced, and well acted.
    Second reaction: Huh?! I thought it was pronounced "memm-ay"
    If there were a slap button on this forum I would use it. But then I would feel bad because your avatar contains the most important pony.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I wish to share something with you.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: The Annotated Live Show [1/2] - YouTube

I've been involved in something on YouTube called The Annotated Series for some time now, and at certain points during and between series we do intermissions.

Basically the above link is an actually somewhat enjoyable version of that crappy stage show. Please excuse the crass language and occasional injokes; we've tried to keep it relatively accessible to just about anyone

Part 2 is coming Friday.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    I wish to share something with you.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: The Annotated Live Show [1/2] - YouTube

I've been involved in something on YouTube called The Annotated Series for some time now, and at certain points during and between series we do intermissions.

Basically the above link is an actually somewhat enjoyable version of that crappy stage show. Please excuse the crass language and occasional injokes; we've tried to keep it relatively accessible to just about anyone

Part 2 is coming Friday.
    I'll have a propper look at that later tonight, but it looks funny so far.

You know something though, there is actually a part of me that actually liked that stage show, but before you all react allow me to explain why...

I get that the ponies didn't look right, but it wasn't an official production, so it couldn't be helped. In a perfect world, they would have done them better (and probably included at least all six ponies - like your video says they could probably only afford to make three), and yes the dialogue was mostly just recycled from certain episodes.

However, when I look at a children's show - I look at it by thinking "would I have liked this as a child myself." The answer for Friendship is Magic was yes. Now, when I was a child one thing I loved was watching a live perfomance from my favorite shows, so if FIM had been around when I was a kid, I would have loved to have seen this live. I would have still wanted it to be better, but I would have appreciated it, and appreciated being there. Hopefully I'm making sense.