Page 128 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2878108118122123124125126127128129130131132 LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 1973

Thread: MLP:FiM Megathread: Does anyone even watch this show anymore edition

Blog Entries

In a (big) nutshell:

Day 1: The Summer Sun Celebration, lots of pony related musicians and DJs playing in a big club atmosphere. Not all of it pony related music, there were remixes of course but a lot of other tunes - some singing, some acoustic, then quite a lot of this modern "wub wub" bass cannon drop stuff (oh dear, I'm getting old), which I did gain quite an appreciation for. Like many of the shy pones there I was surprised how much bouncing it made me do.
    Got to chat with our special guest Michelle Creber (Apple Bloom!) who was also singing and then did personalised autograph copies of her CDs, her musician parents Monique and Michael were also there. Did you know Michael is responsible for bananaphone
    SSC was just awesome, and we partied so hard we blew the doors off Manchester Central. (Well, one of them, and it just kinda fell off, but we caused it with all the music, bass drops and jumping around xD)

Day 2: Got to peruse some merch, empty my wallet etc. I picked up a Build-a-bear Dashie, a bunch of the IDW comics, and some posters from one of the artists there. Saw a really good cosplay catwalk, watch a Q&A panel with some voice actors, listened to some pretty good karaoke, then various "lower key than SSC but also really good" music performances as the night drew in. There was loads going on at any one time (http://www.buckcon.org/wp-content/up...shed-draft.png) and we could've done with a mirror pool, but those are the things I chose to attend. After closing, had a good few drinks back at the hotel with a small herd from the UK Equestria site.

Day 3: Watched writer and art Q&A panels which were interesting, finally got to see Double Rainboom (on a big screen) which I loved, it was silly and funny and well done, then there was a panel with some of its creators. Had a browse around at some of the little competition things going on and watched a stupidly hard pub quiz. Then the BIG and exciting Q&A panel with Michelle Creber, writer Cindy Morrow, and via Skype: Meghan McCarthy and Amy Keating Rogers and a grand finale.
    It doesn't sound much when it's written out, but believe me, it was huge with just so much going on! Quite a lot was the crowd in general too, gathering in the foyer and doing their own thing.

Pinkie doesn't just stop after 3 parties, she then goes for an after-party. Basically, a more limited number of us officially took over a bar and squeezed the last drops of partying out of the weekend.

It was absolutely awesome, and the highlight was the truly buzzing, energetic, positive, super friendly, enthusiastic people As my first con for anything big like this, I don't think I've seen such a happy crowd enjoying themselves so much in my life, it was amazing.

I couldn't make the nutshell any smaller, too excited.

--- tldr version ---
    Con was awesome awesome awesome. Loved every minute! Well, apart from it ending :P

One thing I found interesting was that the queues to get into the music do and the con, were both as much fun (FUN FUN FUN) as the events themselves, that is not to say the events weren't as good as they could be (they were awesome), but rather that people really had such a great time getting to show off their cosplays and partake in various shenanigans while we waited, that the queueing was just another of the highlights.

The Summer Sun Celebration music event was so epic, we blew the bloody doors off the venue XD I'm not joking, one of the doors seriously fell out of its frame we shook the place so hard O_o (luckily the event was insured for accidental damage like that)
    Glad to have taken that opportunity to see Michelle Creber and her parents (also professional musicians) Monique and Michael as well, I don't know what the line was like at the con but it was reasonable enough at SSC that we each got time for a quick chat, which was surreal really getting to talk to a star like that (my favourite CMC no less) and I was super nervous :P

Con was great, so much to see and do that I really hope they provide a mirror pool next year (I'm very tempted to go again next year) so we can clone ourselves xD I went to a lot of the Q&A panels, most of which were with fan content producers (for example the voice acting panel was with people who fan-voice things like Double Rainboom and are well on track for careers in voice acting), those were really interesting as we got to listen to how they learned to do what they do. The drawing one was interesting as well, as they mentioned that it's perfectly acceptable to use other pictures as a reference when drawing (I always thought that was "cheating" and avoided it), so long as you don't trace, which does nothing for improving your skills. That makes me think about trying to draw again.

Cosplay catwalk was good to watch, there were some really awesome outfits (especially the girl from our hotel herd who did Celestia and Rarity who did a fantastic job with it).. it's interesting as when I've seen cosplay images on the internet I've often thought "oh dear, guys, you look ridiculous" but I guess being there makes all the difference, or in general I think most of them were just so good and people picked what suited them. I think what you often see online is people highlighting the bad (as usual) e.g. things like an oversized man in a neckbeard trying to pull off Fluttershy and it reeeeally doesn't work (if you're big you're probably better off with a fursuit, Fluffle Puff or might be able to pull off somepony like Big Mac) but people seemed to pick the right cosplays for their build and appearance.

It certainly wasn't all about people selling stuff (this was just one floor and there wasn't a massive emphasis on it), which was a worry I had before going. There was loads of non-selling stuff going on. But hey, it was very interesting to see so much pony merch in England of all places and good to see BAB there selling Dash and Twilicorn, of which I grabbed the incredibly adorable Dashie (for a fraction of the price of the fan made plushies there, some were going for £150+, these were £20, that's economies of scale for ya)

Occasionally popped up to watch the karaoke singers, who were good at singing (why was everyone so good at what they do at this con!), I think the highlight for me there was Anthropology (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4dWMxTWTXE), a catchy little Lyra song that someone was singing really well.

Finally got to see Double Rainboom and a panel about it. I think they said it took something like 2.5 years to produce, wow. I enjoyed it and it tied in quite well with a comment in the fanfic writing Q&A, which was to avoid deus ex machina (meaning a solution to a problem out of nowhere) where possible but that it can be good if it's explained and done really well. Turns out Double Rainboom was a perfect example of this, with the inspired use of (SPOILER)Pinkie to "unzip" the world and rescue Dash after discovering the secrets of the universe (Adobe Flash) from drinking the potion. Very funny and very well done .
    A friend in the US told me lots of people hated Double Rainboom, I don't see why, everyone here loved it.

A big highlight of course was the Q&A with Cindy Morrow, Michelle Creber, Meghan McCarthy (via Skype) and Amy Keating-Rogers (also via Skype), generally interesting stuff, no spoilers were allowed but we did get a heavy hint that we'll be seeing more of Discord
    One item that I think will interest the fandom (some branches of the fandom more than others, no doubt *coughcough*) was a confirmation that in the creators' minds, the ponies are considered to be young adults since they're out of school and working, and around late teens to early 20s. But also that they're kind of timeless and ageless really as it's a unique universe so ultimately people can really interpret their ages however they wish.

On the smaller highlights (which actually ended up very popular and not-so small) the pub quiz was good as well. Many of the questions were ridiculous trivia that you'd have to be a super meganerd / trivia fan to know (what was Fluttershy's first wingpower rating... FYI it was 0.5) but some were interesting like finding out that Fluttershy was originally an earth pony and Pinkie a pegasus, and the very silly horse-related questions in the last round (how do you sound if you have a dysphonic voice?)

The afterparty was also good, we all piled into a hired bar and basically, there was much drinking, much pony music in the background, and many dances and singalongs.

Overall it was truly awesome, and good to meet some people from the UKoE forum too. I forgot to mention, on the Saturday the con closed at 10pm with nothing after it, and was left free for everyone to group together for our own fringe events. Great idea! Our hotel herd got together in the common room with booze we'd brought along and had some good brony fun together
    The ending to the weekend happened twice, once at the con and once at the afterparty (which had fewer people - limited tickets), and it was typical brony style: we had a massive group hug outside at the end (things like this weren't organised or anything, they were spontaneous, someone yelled "group hugggg!" and everyone nearby was straight on that xD)

That was one of the great things about this, there was so much liveliness and spontaneity. Random groups of con-goers would just suddenly start singing one of the fan songs and dancing, or start the EQG stomp-stomp-clap and loads would join in, or we'd be all sat in the auditorium and half the crowd would end up singing "pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows" out of the blue XD

Not to mention the meme of everyone shouting "FUN?! FUN?! FUN?!" like the mirror pool Pinkies whenever anyone said the word "fun"... it meant the people on the panels kept having to say "er... doing this was... er... enjoyable!", it was very amusing xD But it actually annoyed the organisers towards the end as Michelle and Cindy were getting caught out with it all the time (it meant they kept getting interrupted) and so they banned it part way through the Q&A. :P

I think one of the truly amazing things was that I never heard a negative word about anything all weekend. Usually there's at least someone spreading doom and gloom, maybe ranting about twilicorn and EQG etc, or being unfriendly with someone. But no. Not one. It was astonishing. It was the happiest, friendliest atmosphere I've seen, and I'm pretty darn sure I'll be going again next year.

----

Earlier in the year I thought the fandom was falling apart, which would be a huge shame as like FF it can be a really nice fandom. Season 3 wasn't as well received as 1 and 2, there was drama about Twilicorn, there was all the doom and gloom about how EQG would be terrible and ruin everything etc. EQG was very well received over here though (perhaps less in the US *shrugs*) and then the con just blew me away with how much love and enthusiasm was there and completely obliterated any thoughts of the fandom dying. I am back to maximum excitement for MLP again, and love it.
    Last edited by Cloudane; 08-28-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    TBH, I loved it so much if it was an episode it'd probably be in my top 5, and the song (the cafeteria one) would be up there as well
    I see, while I'm still on the fence and haven't seen it yet, I am pleased that it has fans.

I wasn't bothered about the slight romance, it was a cute passing thing for the movie and it's already been confirmed that Flash isn't in season 4.
    Knowing me, I'd find it adorable, since I have a passion for romantism for some reason. If it's been confirmed fair enough (which makes the fact that some bronies are threating about him even sillier)

My one criticism is that yeah, the final defeat was the usual overdone "rainbow of d00m" thing but I really enjoyed the rest of it.
    I dunno if anyone in the team knows this, now that Lauren's gone, but that's actually a tribute to the real My Little Pony - The More You Know *shooting star.*

Big fan though, I've just come back from BUCK con, it was awesome
    Awesome, I missed out this year, but if there's one next year I'm tottally going.

I'll have a look at your rundown of it, and respond later.

Blog Entries

All the "romance" is anyway, without giving too much away, is basically a crush, and some humour with it

I guessed the rainbow would be a tribute since it was the logo for ages, it's just a slightly overdone defeat method I think, but it's a fairly minor nitpick.

You should totally go ton one, this one was in England (i.e. not Bronycan) mind, and it's all but confirmed already that there will be another BUCK next year

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I doodled something during a conference call today
    SableShift.png
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I work with a girl who's favorite pony is Fluttershy. I had a second Fluttershy from a blindbag so while she was working today and I was off I took in it. When she said hi I put it on the counter and said, "A wild Fluttershy appears. What will you do? "Name" used love. It's super effective!" Then gave it to her. It made her day
    Last edited by theundeadhero; 09-16-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yesterday Fluttergirl told me she brings it to her math class every Monday and Wednesday and that it helps her learn

Articles
    Blog Entries

A wild video appears

0_0
    o_o
    ouo

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Huxley and I bought Octavia at Wal-Mart the other day

20130929_095311.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tomorrow is MLP day.

Articles
    Blog Entries

For anyone who missed it, here is Season 4 episodes 1 and 2

Also, I just recieved one of these:
    Snuggle Bubble Muffin Vinyl Figure
    In the mail, and I'm really torn about what to do with it. It's really really nice looking, and I bought it to keep, but I can sell one on ebay and get enough money to buy my family christmas presents. I don't know which I should do.

Edit: 3rd print Derpy Vinyls are now available

http://www.welovefine.com/7048-snugg...l#.UpU3mlCsiSo
    Last edited by Hollycat; 11-27-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do still watch it, I'm just on actual MLP sites more (well, one anyway - it's the only one that allows talk of all versions that I've seen, which is my kind of ponysite.)

I enjoyed the season 4 premire, It was kind of cool because I was right about a few things, and no one developed backwards this time.

So yeah, I am still interested (refering to the title) it's just that I'm on an MLP site now, so I can discuss it there, if that makes sense. Though I'm up for talking about it on here still.

Blog Entries

Yyyyyup, still watching it and loving it. Haven't had time for much forumgoing lately.

I felt season 3 was rather weak, but season 4 so far is brilliant stuff, up there with good season 1+2 episodes.

Liking the way they've brought back the moral/summary at the end without reverting to reports to Celestia (which they've rightly moved past as they've matured)

The animation and facial expressions have really seen a jump recently, which is nice.

I'm getting a bit worried about the Flanderization of Pinkie (particularly notable in the castle episode) - more episodes like Cranky Doodle and Baby Cakes to flesh her character out again plz.

But yeah overall, top marks! Hope this quality continues!
    BTW, watch Twilight slowly grow to princess size throughout the season...

I loooooooooooooooove MLP! Fluttershy is my favorite'st pony! For a long time I tried to hold out on not buying tons of plushies and toys and stuff (minus what was gifted to me through Reddit exchanges or b-days or whatnot) but then last night IT HAPPENED! My boyfriend and I exchanged gifts and.... aaaaand....

HE BUILT ME A FLUTTERSHY FROM BUILD-A-BEAR! OMG! She is so soft and cuddly and cute and big! My boyfriend, Paul, doesn't watch or care an inkling about MLP and hates being fussed over or treated like a kid and his tale of going in and asking for a pre-made one only to be turned down and having to make one just like a child would is the BEST! (He heated her heart up between his hands and kissed it and everything!)

The combination of his public ridicule and me getting this giant stuffed animal has made this the best thing ever for me!

If you have a Build-A-Bear nearby I highly suggest getting one! I can't believe how good she looks and she doesn't feel cheap - which is remarkable since she is only $25.00 if you don't get the gala dress option.
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-