Page 129 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2979109119123124125126127128129130131132 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 1973

Thread: MLP:FiM Megathread: Does anyone even watch this show anymore edition

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I really want a Twilight Sparkle but I don't think there are even any Build-a-Bears in my state

You can buy it directly from their website. :o They also have Spike for $12.50 you could buy to go with her.
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

OMG I NEED A SPIKE

Spike and Princess Twilight Sparkle.

They're soooooo cute! I'm gonna buy my BFF a Pinkie Pie for her birthday because she doesn't need adult things but a stuffed pony instead!
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

omg I want both

for my (SPOILER)30th birthday next week because clearly that's what a 30 year old needs

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Yyyyyup, still watching it and loving it. Haven't had time for much forumgoing lately.

I felt season 3 was rather weak, but season 4 so far is brilliant stuff, up there with good season 1+2 episodes.

Liking the way they've brought back the moral/summary at the end without reverting to reports to Celestia (which they've rightly moved past as they've matured)

The animation and facial expressions have really seen a jump recently, which is nice.

I'm getting a bit worried about the Flanderization of Pinkie (particularly notable in the castle episode) - more episodes like Cranky Doodle and Baby Cakes to flesh her character out again plz.

But yeah overall, top marks! Hope this quality continues!
    BTW, watch Twilight slowly grow to princess size throughout the season...
    Yeah, I'm going to admit that I found Season 3 to be the weakest season, with the acception of a few episode (Magical Mystery Cure being the most awesome in my opinion), and even they got things wrong in my mind. I think that part of it is to do with Lauren going; I know that she wasn't the only one involved in making it, but keep in mind that the majority of season 1 is updated versions of her old fanfictions, and any episode that wasn't she was still involved in, which continued in season 2. Season 3 is the first season she did nothing in, and it shows.

I think what's happening to Pinkie is also down to that; she was written as more of a fun loving "free spirit", but someone who cares about others, and isn't just a one diemensional gag or whatever the current writer wants her to be. It's like how Rainbow Dash suddenly went back to Dragonshy style personality, in season 3, despite going through a change through season 1 and definitely season 2. There was noway the Dashie I saw in The Crystal Empire is the same one I saw in her later season 2 episodes, especially Hurricane Fluttershy.

So yeah, Pinkie... she didn't work in season 3 most of the time, I even half believed that they sent back the real one in Too Many Pinkie Pies at times. The only episode I really liked her in during season 3 was Wonderbolts Accademy - I found her really cute in that episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzakeru View Post
    I loooooooooooooooove MLP! Fluttershy is my favorite'st pony!

You have great taste

For a long time I tried to hold out on not buying tons of plushies and toys and stuff (minus what was gifted to me through Reddit exchanges or b-days or whatnot) but then last night IT HAPPENED! My boyfriend and I exchanged gifts and.... aaaaand....

HE BUILT ME A FLUTTERSHY FROM BUILD-A-BEAR! OMG!

X3

That's how it starts as well.
    "I'll not buy any of the merch though"
    (some time later)
    "Well, I suppose one pony wouldn't hurt"
    (shortly afterwards)
    "GIVE ME ALL THE PONY THINGS!"

Soon you have an entire desk, shelf or more basically acting as a showcase of ponies, at least I do, and then I have the two plushies for night time snuggles.

Super jealous, the Fluttershy is soooo adorable but I'll get her (and maybe Twily and Spike) after Christmas. I know they're good as I picked up the BaB Dashie at the BUCK convention and she is also insanely adorable and soft and just the huggiest snuggliest thing ever. (The joys of a 31 year old man saying this, heh)
    They didn't even let us do the ritual as they were too busy, they were selling by the second. I gave her heart a 'remote' warm and kiss through her back afterwards :P
    I've found that it's physically impossible not to let out little "awwww!" sounds whenever I pick her up!

Poor guy having to do that as a manly type hehehe
    No kidding on the value. Not to knock anyone's work, but it was one of the best plushies I saw at the con and yet all the others were like £70+, so £20 was a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to admit that I found Season 3 to be the weakest season, with the acception of a few episode (Magical Mystery Cure being the most awesome in my opinion), and even they got things wrong in my mind.
    Interesting, it was certainly a mixed episode for a lot of people. Personally, I didn't mind it and wasn't fussed about the wings issue that so many had a flap over (sorry :P). But for me the highlight of S3 was Sleepless in Ponyville. And then a highlight of S4 so far as been another Scoot episode..

I think that part of it is to do with Lauren going; I know that she wasn't the only one involved in making it, but keep in mind that the majority of season 1 is updated versions of her old fanfictions, and any episode that wasn't she was still involved in, which continued in season 2. Season 3 is the first season she did nothing in, and it shows.
    Could well be. I think they got a lot of feedback regarding season 3 and have obviously upped their game accordingly - they'll be fine without her in the long run I think, as much as they owe to her for kickstarting it all.

I think what's happening to Pinkie is also down to that; she was written as more of a fun loving "free spirit", but someone who cares about others, and isn't just a one diemensional gag or whatever the current writer wants her to be. It's like how Rainbow Dash suddenly went back to Dragonshy style personality, in season 3, despite going through a change through season 1 and definitely season 2. There was noway the Dashie I saw in The Crystal Empire is the same one I saw in her later season 2 episodes, especially Hurricane Fluttershy.
    Yeah. Personally I'm liking the Dashie so far in season 4, she feels more like her older self and I have no problem with that at all. I found her a bit obnoxious in parts of season 2 (she wasn't exactly nice to that line-up of potential pets) and better but not perfect in 3 (I like the Wonderbolts Academy version of her though, which I find in line with her earlier self too). I basically like the version that is confident and sure of herself, but NOT selfish or arrogant, and cares about others. Which is how I felt she was through most of S1, though I dunno about Dragonshy, she was a bit of a cow in that one like in those parts of S2.

I basically sometimes think she treats Fluttershy a little harshly, but I do let her off her being her best friend and probably knowing how much she can safely push to bring out her potential.

I thought the best use of her I've seen for some time was in this one just gone, when she made the other CMCs go back for Scoots - this not only developed the sisterly friendship she has with her, but also made excellent use of the fact she's the element of loyalty. I was really impressed by the writing of her in that ep and it secured her position as joint best pony for me.

I even half believed that they sent back the real one in Too Many Pinkie Pies at times. The only episode I really liked her in during season 3 was Wonderbolts Accademy - I found her really cute in that episode.
    Haha, I have wondered that as well. It was around then that she started getting flanderised.

Blog Entries

POWER PONIES!

(SPOILER)Interesting. I don't really rate this episode like the first 5, it's more "season 3" kind of material, as in, it's not bad but not "OMG GREAT" either, and kind of bizarre. But yeah, entertaining!

It occurred to me that this is the equivalent of a Star Trek "Holodeck Episode". It's completely separate and out of character and they get away with it by putting them in a virtual environment. They then have to solve the problem in order to end the program. Holodeck episodes tended to be a bit "average" but memorable, and I think this fits the same mould.

Given the "rainbow power" ponies that have come out, I think this was probably a Hasbro decree, that they have to introduce them in some way, like with Princess Twilight and the Equestria Girls. So like any Hasbro decree, they satisfied the requirement and got it out of the way in the best way they can, and props to DHX for their ability to do that effectively
    Then again the Rainbow Power ponies look a little different, so maybe it's something that Dash will apply based on this story later on.

I've not watched much PPG but I think this was maybe a bit of a reference to that? The town looked similar.

I d'awwed at Spike a few times and kinda wished I had him as a plushie to hug. Soon.

lol'd at Hulk Fluttershy and heard that Andrea lost her voice after it, I guess that's her Amusing Out Of Character Moment for the season. Just pleeeeeeease don't flanderise her with it like Pinkie and I'll be happy. I know I keep banging on about Pinkie being "flanderised" but ever since someone mentioned it I keep thinking about it.

Not sure what else to say. This orb thing sounds like it might be real (which fits in with Daring Do being real) and maybe to do with Nightmare Moon. And now I'm wondering if there's going to be some sort of theme behind the mixing of fantasy and reality this season.

Oh yeah the castle being restored. Hmm, I guess this is where Princess Twilight will end up ultimately, especially since it has a huge library (hopefully at the end of G4/FiM and not before - she belongs in Ponyville.)

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I went to build-a-bear like a week and a half ago by myself to build a Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. There's was a funny old lady there who helped me do it. I think a few people stared at me funny but The Fluttershy is my friend Felisha's but only while she visits. Fluttershy stays here with me

Blog Entries

I'm so hitting up Build-a-bear sometime around new year.

Anyway, so yesterday I decided to be brave and take a little dip into the world of G3. Yep, the old sickly era! I just had to try "A Very Minty Christmas" on Christmas Day

I wrote a little review thing, thought I'd share.

=====

tl;dr - get past the sugariness, which is a LOT more than G4 yes, and it's actually really good.

Well, put this firmly into "guilty pleasure" territory - it left me with a really happy glow that I'm still buzzing with at the time of writing (though I didn't finish the review til after Doctor Who), and is that not what MLP and indeed Christmas are all about?

It's worth a shot, do the same as ya did with FiM, just give it a chance, worst case it's about 40 minutes lost.

I'll keep this fairly spoiler-free, and I'll start with the flaws to get them out of the way and work up from there.

Being G3, it can be ludicrously sugary with a lot of fixed smiles and the VAs doing the "smiling and laughing while talking" thing. It initially made me think that old familiar "oh god why am I watching this" and at first I may have wanted to vomit a little I like sweet and happy more than most people, but it hit me with more saccharine than even I can easily stomach. BUT I got used to it though, and as the story set in some of the sugar and smiles were put on hold for the character to reflect on her own flaws (yay! They do have them!) and resolve a problem.

It also wouldn't seem too spoileriffic to mention that the premise involves Christmas and Santa, which I find odd concepts considering both involve humans, and G3 (as far as I know) doesn't have them just like G4 doesn't. Maybe they have pony versions of Christ and Santa or something, it just seemed odd, and I can see why with G4 they went with a fantasy allegory instead.

But is it bad? Heck no! Not by a long shot - in the end I absolutely loved it! I'd rather let people have the chance to experience it for themselves than elaborate, but basically don't go thinkin' the spirit of the show you know and love wasn't around in 2005. Oh it really was - and you only have to zone out the sugariness a bit (mostly at the beginning and end) to get to the meat of it

Put it this way, the emotions were still there and there were still shall we say, heavy dawws

Slightly more spoilery but without details
    (SPOILER)"Friendship is Magic" is clearly not a new concept to MLP, nor is that of the general moral of the story being that friendship is the no. 1 important thing in life.

Really enjoyed what I shall call the sock song.

Actual unabated spoilers
    (SPOILER)i.e. the fact that in the end, after all the fussing poor Minty did (oh how I wanted to hug her at times!) over restoring the more materialistic aspects of the day that she thought she'd ruined, that's not what's important - the important thing is she stopped up all night and went out of her way to give away her most prized possessions (I love that it's socks XD Sock ponies are canon!) to try and restore what she saw as her friends' happiness in the near future, and then also basically risked her life to see Santa and let him know what happened - leading to the other ponies immediately turning their attention to her safety, being completely understanding about her mistake and recognising that the acts of kindness and true friendship are the true spirit of Christmas.

And of course, it was all ok in the end anyway, and the unseen Santa in his mysterious ways was lured not by the glow of the cane on top of the tree, but of course the warm glow of the ponies' friendship. D'awww!!

Some observations about the characters and how they compare with G4 counterparts, which I found fun to see as they came, so I'll spoiler 'em.

(SPOILER)Rainbow Dash, oh goodness poor Rainbow Dash... she's Rarity! XD In fact I'd say she darling well overuses the word darling, darling.

The equivalent of Celestia (same coat and mane, same sort of "slightly bigger and maybe older/wiser" appearance) is called Star catcher and has a catchphrase of "Consider it done". Interesting...

A smidge to the left, maybe a smiiiidge to the right says Minty. I remember Pinkie saying this during Winter Wrap Up, now I know it was probably a reference!

Don't know about the idea of a whistling pony (Thistlewhistle), it was kind of annoying, but I like the idea of a pegasus who is scared of clouds, interesting concept, it could make a good G4 character if fleshed out a bit.

I thought at first the first pony who spoke (one of the sweet makers) was Andrea/Fluttershy, but it's not. However, Tabitha/Rarity plays Minty, so that's why that one seemed familiar

Very satisfying, glad I watched this for Christmas Day

Blog Entries

Anyway, so yesterday I decided to be brave and take a little dip into the world of G3. Yep, the old sickly era! I just had to try "A Very Minty Christmas" on Christmas Day
    As you can see this reply is really, really late, but I have been meaning to reply to this for ages, because let it be known, I love G3! I love every generation of My Little Pony

Being G3, it can be ludicrously sugary with a lot of fixed smiles and the VAs doing the "smiling and laughing while talking" thing. It initially made me think that old familiar "oh god why am I watching this" and at first I may have wanted to vomit a little I like sweet and happy more than most people, but it hit me with more saccharine than even I can easily stomach. BUT I got used to it though, and as the story set in some of the sugar and smiles were put on hold for the character to reflect on her own flaws (yay! They do have them!) and resolve a problem.
    To be honest, I never minded the sugaryness to it, and found it quite close to G4 if I'm honest, but then I am a fan of it in general so it didn't take me that long to get used to it, but I'm pleased you managed to see past it and enjoy the movie. And yes, the G3's do have flaws and personality.

also wouldn't seem too spoileriffic to mention that the premise involves Christmas and Santa, which I find odd concepts considering both involve humans, and G3 (as far as I know) doesn't have them just like G4 doesn't. Maybe they have pony versions of Christ and Santa or something, it just seemed odd, and I can see why with G4 they went with a fantasy allegory instead.
    No, G3 doesn't have any humans in it ever. Only G1 does that. I get what you mean though, it is a little strange how they did it in a sense, but it doesn't distract too much. I think the only correction I would have made if I had made it was, like you said had a pony Santa or something, or made a fantasy that actually resembled Christmas (I'm still on the fence as to whether Hearth's Warming Eve was supposed to be Christmas or not)

But is it bad? Heck no! Not by a long shot - in the end I absolutely loved it!
    Fluttershy Voice: "Yay!"

(SPOILER)
    I'd rather let people have the chance to experience it for themselves than elaborate, but basically don't go thinkin' the spirit of the show you know and love wasn't around in 2005. Oh it really was

Friendship is Magic" is clearly not a new concept to MLP, nor is that of the general moral of the story being that friendship is the no. 1 important thing in life.
    Exactly, as much as I love G4 - it wasn't the first MLP generation to do what it does that makes it so awesome; which makes sense as it was made by a fan of the previous generations.

the fact that in the end, after all the fussing poor Minty did (oh how I wanted to hug her at times!) over restoring the more materialistic aspects of the day that she thought she'd ruined, that's not what's important - the important thing is she stopped up all night and went out of her way to give away her most prized possessions (I love that it's socks XD Sock ponies are canon!) to try and restore what she saw as her friends' happiness in the near future, and then also basically risked her life to see Santa and let him know what happened - leading to the other ponies immediately turning their attention to her safety, being completely understanding about her mistake and recognising that the acts of kindness and true friendship are the true spirit of Christmas.
    I know right? The whole thing was just so heart-warming, and beautiful. You really hit it dead on with your review here. And yeah, Pony's in Socks will always, first and foremost, be a G3 thing for me.

Rainbow Dash, oh goodness poor Rainbow Dash... she's Rarity! XD In fact I'd say she darling well overuses the word darling, darling.
    Actually, Darling, I never really saw a link between G3 Rainbow Dash and Rarity (and even if there was, is acting like my 3rd favorite of the Mane Six really a bad thing?). Either way, G3 Rainbow Dash is still awesome in her own way, and trust me, the more you watch, you get used to her obsession with the word darling (I actually find it endearing), and hey, it's not like the other ponies don't playfully troll her for it sometimes.

The equivalent of Celestia (same coat and mane, same sort of "slightly bigger and maybe older/wiser" appearance) is called Star catcher and has a catchphrase of "Consider it done". Interesting...
    While this isn't exactly important, she's actually my second favorite G3 pony (Minty's first).

A smidge to the left, maybe a smiiiidge to the right says Minty. I remember Pinkie saying this during Winter Wrap Up, now I know it was probably a reference!
    Very likely, like I say FIM was made by a fan of My Little Pony, so there's likely to be shout outs here, and there.

Don't know about the idea of a whistling pony (Thistlewhistle), it was kind of annoying, but I like the idea of a pegasus who is scared of clouds, interesting concept, it could make a good G4 character if fleshed out a bit.
    And there's my third - I just find her adorable for some reason. ^_^. I would like to see how her fear could be handled in G4 though, like you say.

Sorry this is really late, but I had various projects to work on, and I had to reply at some point. I'm really pleased to see some G3 appreciation.

/)!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Did you guys see the Weird Al episode from a few weeks back? Not gonna lie, it's the first pony ep I've seen in a while (I haven't been keeping up much lately ) but it was a real gem. Weird Al has a great voice and it's perfect for animation.

Blog Entries

I'll just say one thing quickly cos it's late in the day (thanks for the feedback Seifer and no probs! I'll try to do a better counter-response soon!)

I know a lot of people lost interest after S3, but seriously, everyone who loved FiM before that should definitely give S4 a shot with my wholehearted recommendation. Whilst you'd be forgiven for taking my words with a pinch of salt due to fanboyism, I can say hand on heart that - subject to rewatching the whole lot from S01E01 sometime - S4 is the best season I've seen so far. Early in the season it got some mixed responses (all at least 'good' from me) as it got a little experimental, and then towards the middle it just gets insanely good.

Pretty much anyone would be doing themselves a disservice not to watch:
    - 14: Filli Vanilli (Fluttershy fans MUST SEE THIS BEFORE THEY DIE, I rank it no1 of the entire show's run so far. It is that good. I guess if you really hate Fluttershy you might not like it, but then there's the music.)
    - 8: Rarity Takes Manehattan (for Rarity fans and non-fans alike. I wasn't big on Rarity, but.. you'll see.)

Also well worth watching are Rainbow Falls (10), Pinkie Pride (12) (the Weird Al one. I'll admit, I wasn't too aware of Weird Al, but I liked the ep), Pinkie Apple Pie (9), Bats! (7) (mostly because it introduces a cool new Fluttershy meme to give the tree thing a rest.. )
    Last edited by Cloudane; 03-06-2014 at 01:59 AM.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I haven't watched an episode since the 2 parter at the beginning of the season. I'm going to binge the season starting tomorrow.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

I'll just say one thing quickly cos it's late in the day (thanks for the feedback Seifer and no probs! I'll try to do a better counter-response soon!)
    You're welcome and thanks. I'll look forward to seeing it.

Pretty much anyone would be doing themselves a disservice not to watch:
    - 14: Filli Vanilli (Fluttershy fans MUST SEE THIS BEFORE THEY DIE, I rank it no1 of the entire show's run so far. It is that good. I guess if you really hate Fluttershy you might not like it, but then there's the music.)
    - 8: Rarity Takes Manehattan (for Rarity fans and non-fans alike. I wasn't big on Rarity, but.. you'll see.)
    Out of the Season 4 episodes I've seen so far (not due to losing interest, I just haven't gotten around to it) these two are my favorites. Filly Vanilli reminded me that Fluttershy was my favorite, after fearing that no one knew what to do with her anymore, it was a very season 1-2 (aka Lauren Era) approach to her character.

Rarity Takes Manehattan was Rarity's "Hurricane Fluttershy" moment for me, in other words, it was the episode that made me wish the character was real, just so I could be there for her, especially one moment (hint: it involves rain). I did the next best thing, and hugged my Rarity plushie during that scene... yeah.