Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 1973

Thread: MLP:FiM Megathread: Does anyone even watch this show anymore edition

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I'm enjoying season 4 much more than season 3. The Bat episode has definitely been my favorite of the season so far.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really need to watch more of season 4, especially the "key" episodes (I've only seen Rarity's and Fluttershy's, and Rarity's was the superior of the two for me).

Appropos of nothing; I feel that fans of the show should take a look at this; Shazzbaa - Double Z, Double A - My Little Pony: The Elements of Harmony it's very well written, and makes perfect sense about the show. I already gathered about "The Magic of Friendship" being Twilight's true elemement (I don't know why so many don't seem to realize that), but rest of it make me appreciate the show even more.

Blog Entries

Season 4 was awesome. Best season hands down!
    Season finale was interesting as it felt like aside from a couple of loose ends it was only really missing the words "The End", so I can't help wondering if S5 was a question mark at the time the S4 ending was written.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    As you can see this reply is really, really late, but I have been meaning to reply to this for ages, because let it be known, I love G3! I love every generation of My Little Pony
    I still owe you a reply, I think I have you beat on lateness

Well, that's good! With the gens being so vastly different (at least in terms of appearance and the people watching it) I often did wonder how many people who liked the older gens actually like G4 or if it's sort of ruined it for them. Good to hear.

To be honest, I never minded the sugaryness to it, and found it quite close to G4 if I'm honest, but then I am a fan of it in general so it didn't take me that long to get used to it, but I'm pleased you managed to see past it and enjoy the movie. And yes, the G3's do have flaws and personality.
    I don't mind a bit, but take for example the first 10 minutes of the Christmas one, to me that was quite difficult to watch without feeling embarrassed (and I'm at the stage now where I'm fairly shameless in what I watch). The G4 opening theme has the same effect.

Well worth it once it got going though. I love the character of Minty.
    I've wondered lately if there'll one day be a "G4.5" of sorts focusing on the CMC and some newcomers - thinking about it, a modern Minty could be a nice addition to that!

No, G3 doesn't have any humans in it ever. Only G1 does that. I get what you mean though, it is a little strange how they did it in a sense, but it doesn't distract too much. I think the only correction I would have made if I had made it was, like you said had a pony Santa or something, or made a fantasy that actually resembled Christmas (I'm still on the fence as to whether Hearth's Warming Eve was supposed to be Christmas or not)
    I see. But yeah, I'm not of the misanthropist type but I do prefer that it's a pony-only fantasy world (with EQG being a separate universe).
    I figured Hearths Warming probably is in reference to Christmas, but religiously neutralised - it's named in a similar way to other metaphors like Everquest's "Frostfell", WoW's "Winter Veil Festival" etc. I do like it that way - it's easy to overdo "political correctness" but we live in such a diverse world, I vastly prefer the inclusiveness of a fantasy celebration over the attitude you sometimes see of "America is a Christian country, dammit. We should promote Christian celebrations" and all that. But then I am in England and we're a bit less religious in general here.

Exactly, as much as I love G4 - it wasn't the first MLP generation to do what it does that makes it so awesome; which makes sense as it was made by a fan of the previous generations.
    Yup, we tend to assume "first there was something terrible, then there was an awesome reboot" but really just the art / character design style got a lot 'cooler', and I've not watched much of the old gen stuff but it's perhaps closer to progressive than revolutionary than people realise.

I know right? The whole thing was just so heart-warming, and beautiful. You really hit it dead on with your review here. And yeah, Pony's in Socks will always, first and foremost, be a G3 thing for me.
    I bought some socks during the Christmas period just so I could post to FB "nothing says Christmas like a pair of socks", I don't think anyone got the reference XD

Actually, Darling, I never really saw a link between G3 Rainbow Dash and Rarity (and even if there was, is acting like my 3rd favorite of the Mane Six really a bad thing?). Either way, G3 Rainbow Dash is still awesome in her own way, and trust me, the more you watch, you get used to her obsession with the word darling (I actually find it endearing), and hey, it's not like the other ponies don't playfully troll her for it sometimes.
    Fair enough! I just thought the way she spoke was similar, but that doesn't really mean her personality is the same.
    And good that they had the same thing of self referencing odd things like "darling", I find it makes the difference between a quirk being weird and endearing.

As an aside, I didn't realise until recently that the design of G4's Cadance is based on G3's Fluttershy (whether deliberate or not I don't know, but the colours are the same), I found that quite interesting.

While this isn't exactly important, she's actually my second favorite G3 pony (Minty's first).
    Cool, well you do have good taste there with Minty, then

And there's my third - I just find her adorable for some reason. ^_^. I would like to see how her fear could be handled in G4 though, like you say.
    Hehe great. I think her whistling would get on my nerves, but knowing the G4 crew they'd probably find a 'cooler' way of doing it.

Sorry my reply is so late, too! Quite simply I got absorbed in other things.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Is Friendship is Magic still going? Is it still popular?

It seems like all the rabid fandom I saw surrounding it last year has vanished.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I watched the first two episodes of it out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised at how much depth and character development a show which premise is about ponies has. It saddens me that a lot of other shows out there with premises aren't as 'mocked' by the general population aren't anywhere near as well written and thought out. The first two episodes could have easily spanned a whole season if they wanted it to.

I never did get around to watching any more after that.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

It's still around, a lot of the initial hype has kind of died down though.

Blog Entries

Season 3 was pretty weak, and I think it shook a lot of the "casual" following off. A shame, as season 4 was brilliant - anyone who abandoned it because Twilight gained wings was being rather silly IMO.

That said, I don't think it's really lost its keen fanbase - it's just shaken off fair bit of the "internet bandwagon" crowd, and I'm not sure that's really a bad thing. It means it's not being shoved down throats as much, which helps people to hate us less

Also, this year I saw Bronies in this very town (it's a very small town, population about 11,000). I've seen two walking around town wearing brony t-shirts (alas because of various reasons I never got to offer a brohoof!). This is the first year I've seen ANY Bronies in the wild in the UK, aside from obvious geek meets like the con and the gadget show. So I'd say it's actually more "taking off" than "dying" (in the UK anyway), but the internet rabidness does seem to have eased off and I think that could be a positive.

@ToriJ it's worth persevering if you get bored. I recommend "Dragonshy" if you like some insights into characterisation. For good character development look to "Winter Wrap Up", "Read it and weep", "Putting Your Hoof Down", "Hurricane Fluttershy", "Sleepless in Ponyville", "Magical Mystery Cure" to name a few and they also happen to be favourites of mine as well
    "Filli Vanilli" is also a must (it's my favourite of all episodes) but I think it's better experienced after watching the first 3 seasons to really appreciate what it does for Fluttershy.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I watched the entirety of Season 4 this week. It was really good, especially the last episode where the show turned into Sailor Twilight Sparkle Ball Z.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

Hahaha. Yes, it kinda did.

(SPOILER)#RIPlibrary

Ballsy move!

Blog Entries

I doubt there is, but is anyone going to BUCK next week? I am.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually on Wednesday I'm going over to visit Pike and I plan to BUCK her until she can't walk.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What's the best way to watch season 4? Watching the episodes on Youtube is quite finicky at times.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

Eep! Wasn't expecting that!

Yep, I sure am
    I'll be wearing a badge with my username on it and the Fus Ro D'aww (Flutterkiin) avatar that I use on ukofequestria, will also be wearing Fus Ro D'aww on a t-shirt on the Saturday

Highly recommend Summer Sun Celebration too, last year's was great. Even people who "don't usually like music events" liked it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Eep! Wasn't expecting that!

Yep, I sure am
    I'll be wearing a badge with my username on it and the Fus Ro D'aww (Flutterkiin) avatar that I use on ukofequestria, will also be wearing Fus Ro D'aww on a t-shirt on the Saturday

Highly recommend Summer Sun Celebration too, last year's was great. Even people who "don't usually like music events" liked it.
    Awesome, I'll look out for you.

I'm sure, but I don't think I can make the Sumer Sun Celebration (and I am someone who likes music events) but hopefully if they do anymore, and I go again I should make it next time. Other than that, I am SUPER hyped about this!

Also, I keep wanting to call Manchester "Manechester" because of all this...

Blog Entries

Awesome, I'll look out for you.

I'm sure, but I don't think I can make the Sumer Sun Celebration (and I am someone who likes music events) but hopefully if they do anymore, and I go again I should make it next time. Other than that, I am SUPER hyped about this!

Also, I keep wanting to call Manchester "Manechester" because of all this...
    Hope to see you there
    Where you staying? I'll be at Weston Hall. It's a cardboard box, definitely more Applejack's Barn than Rarity's boudoir, but it's sufficient.

I recommend making it to SSC if you can - BUCK has an extremely uncertain future next year (either not happening or a scaled down reimagining, unless they've had some sudden massive sale of 20% cooler tickets to fund it) and it's sounding like SSC would be high on the list for the chop. Not because it's no good - because it's TOO good (like, proper top quality stuff) and really hard work for them to do. But you never know, they might do one as a separate event.

Hehe... we all call it Manechester on UKoE. And I'll be getting off the train at Piccafilly, of course

Oh yeah and it coincides with Pride weekend. So it's a pretty busy city but full of the air of love and tolerance!
    Last edited by Cloudane; 08-18-2014 at 11:31 PM.