Page 52 of 132 FirstFirst ... 23242464748495051525354555657586272102 ... LastLast

Thread: MLP:FiM Megathread: Does anyone even watch this show anymore edition

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Julian, are you mean to small animals?
    Yes.

Netflix with a purchasing option for offline use. With Steam I can download any of the games in my library for use offline. I will often download some games to my laptop before any long trip where internet will be uncertain or where I might actually want to try to play in the car on a laptop (rather than the 4 handheld options).

I wish this was an option with movies. If they would make them available at a reasonable rate and make them downloadable to any of my media capable devices. Steam rakes in my cash on things I probably may not even play with their sales. If similar thing happened with movies, hell yeah I'd buy a digital, anytime accessible copy of a movie for 5 bucks or less. In fact, I'd probably buy a lot.

The current reality is that I buy ZERO things on DVD or even BR. I boxed up pretty much my entire collection of DVDs and put them in the attic. If I ever care enough, I might dig them out, but probably only in a situation where I can start ripping them and putting them in an HTPC set up. They aren't worth the effort.

Also, Netflix does the cycling thing where some of the content isn't available at certain times. I would very happily pay a goodly sum of money to OWN many of the shows I (well... mostly my wife) watch on Netflix.

iTunes comes close in a way in a way, but still fall short in two major categories.
    1) I can't watch it on all of my devices.
    2) I can't slap it on a flash drive and take it with me to other devices.

I think I'm going to start looking around for programs that strip iTunes DRM. I know they exist and they seem like the best way to give a little money to the content I support, get a good quality version of the product, and still have it available in an infinitely usable format.

Now if only there was a service that actually made it more convenient for me to remotely access this content at the drop of a hat like Steam does.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I just wish they'd release pony episodes on something that actually worked with Linux.

And also isn't Apple. I've been boycotting Apple since like 2005. Feels good, man

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I just wish they'd release pony episodes on something that actually worked with Linux.

And also isn't Apple. I've been boycotting Apple since like 2005. Feels good, man
    Doesn't YouTube work on Linux? You can view most episodes on that, even though posers sometimes get it taken down, but there's usually all episode on it easily.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

She probably means in a format she can pay for and download.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

What NCG said!

To add into the Rarity conversation, I have no Idea what you are talking about Yearg.

Rarities Episodes rarely have anything to do with battling against her own desires of prestige and what not.

Art of the Dress she created the dresses her friends wanted, and even stuck it through the fassion show with those designs regardless of their goofiness.

Diamond Dogs was her using her wit and charm to outsmart a bunch of creepy dog thingys.

The one with Photofinish she was Jealous that Fluttershy was the target of Photo Finish, but regardless of her Jealousy she supported Fluttershy in continuing. It was clear the whole time she supported her friend, this 'begrudgingly siding with them' never
    happened once, she jumped in immidiately to cheer on Flutter shy. There was no hesitation, it was definately more an episode teaching her to be a bit more honest about her and fluttershy to be a bit more honest about their own feelings, even if you are afraid it may hurt the other persons.

The one with Rarity and her sister wasn't either, its a lot more to do with how Rarity wasn't really being a very good sister, once again any kind of Greediness wasn't much of a factor here.

The only times it was her struggling to remain a generous person was the Discord episode, which hardly counts since it was all Magic and Shenanagins, and the latest one where she was making the dress for twilight. And mind you, this situation put an insane amount of pressure on Rarity. She was in position to make a big leap forward in fulfilling her dream. In regards to fashion desing, high end design requires getting your name out there. If no one knows who you are, it is difficult to obtain high end clients, so as Shallow as getting into the in crowd may seem, if a talented Fashion designer gets into it, they are pretty much set. So this was very much an episode where it took putting Rarity's biggest dream on the line. And again, this is the only time I saw Rarity waver on the Generosity front.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    To add into the Rarity conversation, I have no Idea what you are talking about Yearg.

Rarities Episodes rarely have anything to do with battling against her own desires of prestige and what not.

Art of the Dress she created the dresses her friends wanted, and even stuck it through the fassion show with those designs regardless of their goofiness.

Diamond Dogs was her using her wit and charm to outsmart a bunch of creepy dog thingys.

The one with Photofinish she was Jealous that Fluttershy was the target of Photo Finish, but regardless of her Jealousy she supported Fluttershy in continuing. It was clear the whole time she supported her friend, this 'begrudgingly siding with them' never
    happened once, she jumped in immidiately to cheer on Flutter shy. There was no hesitation, it was definately more an episode teaching her to be a bit more honest about her and fluttershy to be a bit more honest about their own feelings, even if you are afraid it may hurt the other persons.

The one with Rarity and her sister wasn't either, its a lot more to do with how Rarity wasn't really being a very good sister, once again any kind of Greediness wasn't much of a factor here.

The only times it was her struggling to remain a generous person was the Discord episode, which hardly counts since it was all Magic and Shenanagins, and the latest one where she was making the dress for twilight. And mind you, this situation put an insane amount of pressure on Rarity. She was in position to make a big leap forward in fulfilling her dream. In regards to fashion desing, high end design requires getting your name out there. If no one knows who you are, it is difficult to obtain high end clients, so as Shallow as getting into the in crowd may seem, if a talented Fashion designer gets into it, they are pretty much set. So this was very much an episode where it took putting Rarity's biggest dream on the line. And again, this is the only time I saw Rarity waver on the Generosity front.
    Not to offend the Rarity fans, but i still consider it a rather blatant con when she guilts spike into giving up his birthday meal. That's really the only time I stand behind a "Rarity is selfish" argument.

I initially had huge issues with Rarity, and couldn't really get behind her character. Too stereotypically girly and fancy, too snobby, etc. Season 2 has caused me to pull a 180 though, and she's become easily one of my favorite characters recently.

That particular scene though? She knows Spike is enamored with her. WE know she's rather fanatical about jewels. I can't see how you could talk around the googly eyed pity routine and exagerated dialogue to make a case that she wasn't gunning for ol' Spikey Wikey's din din. Granted, she gave appropriate thanks, and was genuinely appreciative for the gesture, but I still say she was gunning for it from the start.

Edit: 1000th post. This thread is now all Applejack all the time. I can do that, right?
    Last edited by GhandiOwnsYou; 02-22-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Yes, she was gunning for the Jewel from the start, and she was a bit deceptive in her approach, but her attribute is Generosity, not honesty.

And I don't think anyone is arguing against Rarity being selfish, cause she is. But in the end it's always clear her generosity trumps her Selfishness without much effort. I mean if Spike still kept the jewel, I doubt Rarity would hold some kind of Vendetta over it. Be a bit sad for a moment, and perhaps pull out the 'worst possible thing' line, but really there wouldn't be any hard feelings.

@Neo

You made some very good points and I think you have the argument mostly won as far as I'm concerned. However, you did leave out the most damning episode... Sweet and Elite. Easily the most horrible expression of Rarities self-centeredness.

That said, I think it was the bile that this particular episode induced that really pushed me over the edge to really disliking Rarity. I liked her much more in S1 and Art of the Dress is her most generous episode ever. I will grant that there are more generous episodes than not, but you can't overlook how terrible she was in Sweet and Elite. I don't know if you can make that about generosity or not, but it certainly speaks to her character.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

One of my favorite moments of Rarity's was in Sonic Rainboom when Rarity volunteered to be the test subject for Twilight's magic in order to cheer for Rainbow Dash.

At that point she had no idea that she was going to get those beautiful butterfly wings, she was just concerned with supporting her friend.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    She probably means in a format she can pay for and download.
    What NCG said!
    Ah, I see, sorry about that. I have no idea about downloads, payed or otherwise, but I will pay for a DVD when they come out.

One of my favorite moments of Rarity's was in Sonic Rainboom when Rarity volunteered to be the test subject for Twilight's magic in order to cheer for Rainbow Dash.

At that point she had no idea that she was going to get those beautiful butterfly wings, she was just concerned with supporting her friend.
    Exactly, her original goal was to support someone. Like I said in my earlier post, all of the ponies have flaws, but their good qualities are always something better for me, and I like the fact they have flaws as well.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I haven't commented much on the conversation but when it comes down to it iI agree with yearg. For me she's easily the most dis-likable pony and I generally didn't enjoy episodes such as Spike's greed or Sisterhood Social.

That's all well and good... the thing she did 3 minutes into the ep. How about the rest of it where she acted like a prima donna, sucked up as much self-serving attention as possible, and couldn't give a tit less about Rainbow Dash's feeling, nerves or competition. She just wanted to be admired at the cost of everything and everyone else.

This is exactly the sort of attitude she has in Sweet and Elite. It's kinda disgusting. Sure, she's generous sometimes, but she's sort of a bitch a lot of the time too and it doesn't take much in terms of fame to make her drop her friends.

Speaking of Rainbow Dash. I used to really dislike her cocky attitude, but I'm convinced it's more tongue-in-cheek the more I watch. She knows that she's being cocky and gets over it pretty fast when someone points it out to her. Probably the worst example of her being truly cocky was The Mysterious Mare Do Well, and it almost seemed out of character how arrogant she was throughout that episode.

Can we all at least agree that Trixie is a douche?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Trixie just wants to be the new rarity and is ...
    Yeah, she's a bitch.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen