Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282112122126127128129130131132
Results 1,966 to 1,973 of 1973

Thread: MLP:FiM Megathread: Does anyone even watch this show anymore edition

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cloudane
    Nice read. I'd address it blow by blow but I'd need a few weeks so just going to say it's read and digested!
    I'm pleased to see you enjoyed it. If you choose to adress it blow by blow, I'll look forward to it, but it's up to you.

Anyone caught last week's episode? It takes a very interesting stance on equality. Or rather more importantly, enforced equality in a highly Orwellian village. It's very deep stuff and I'm not really sure how I feel about it - it's great that it's addressing such grown-up issues and challenging something that we tend to just automatically assume is good (equality is good, right? Well put it this way, from now on I'm qualifying it with "of rights and opportunities") without properly thinking about it - it forces us to think.
    I saw it, and I will probably be able to adress this episode better when I review it, but long story short it didn't seem like a grown up issue to me, in fact, it seemed like a very standard children's show storyline about how while we're all the same where it matters, we shouldn't hide what makes us individual. It's something that is pretty standard for children to be made aware of, it's not really a grown up issue - it's an every age issue.

But I also don't want it to turn into purely a Brony show or to push politics too hard (it also takes a big swipe at communism)
    I've seen a lot of talk about this, and I can safely say that the episode has absolutely nothing to do with communism. From what I've heard, communism was nothing like what happened in this episode, and wasn't about forced equality. The whole thing was discussed on The My Little Pony Arena, and it ended up being established that the episode has nothing to do with communism at all. No offense.

Ultimately though, I agree about not wanting it to become purely a brony show. I keep meaning to write a full article on this, but basically it's been constantly brought to my attention on MLP Arena that the writers are trying too hard to put brony stuff in the show. Now, I'm not completely against them tipping their hats to their older fans as long as it's subtle and/or makes sense with what they are doing in the storyline. After all, Season 2 contained brony shout-outs, but they were indeed subtle, and when they weren't they made some level of sense with the episode. In season 4, while I admit I am less familar with what bronies are making memes out of (I was completely lost with the fedora references at BUCK), it seems like season 4 tried to hard in many places, and one of those cases maybe the brony shout outs; in "Pinkie Apple Pie", there was a clear "Twilightlicious" reference, which probably wouldn't have been too bad if it wasn't so forced into the scene, but sadly it seemed really forced in there like they really wanted us to see it, like we wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

Another thing I've noticed is that they seem to be trying too hard in giving us things to make memes out of in season 4. Season 1 and 2 had things that had memes made out of them too, but the differences is they didn't try to become memes - they were just things that people found they liked enough to keep using.

There's a lot more on this, but I'm already off topic. Ultimately, one of the reasons bronies fell in love with MLP: FIM is because it was already a well written children's show - it was obviously for kids, but it had storylines, and developed its characters enough for us to take them seriously - it felt like we'd actually watched the show as kids ourselves, and had grown up with it. It didn't have to try to appeal to us, it already did when it was basically the previous MLP shows smushed together with its own flaire. Hopefully season 5 will be closer to season 1 and 2.

I admired it best in early seasons when it was purely a kids show that just happened to be of a good enough quality to have a huge adult gathering on the sidelines, and realising how easy it is to kind of "forget" the basics of friendship and how to best treat each other in order to be the best friends we can. If it's going to "grow with its audience" and become all dark and grown-up and tackle deep stuff, then it takes away what originally attracted me to it - the upbeat, simple little slice-of-life joy that makes you laugh, smile and possibly shed a tear. In turning into like a Star Trek TNG with ponies it'd still be great (I adored TNG), just not the same thing, and I worry about them forgetting who it was originally meant for. The last thing I want to do is effectively "steal" something from little girls, who may not be all that interested in watching some deep political and sociological stuff even if it does have cute ponies in it. I'm conflicted, as I thought it was a superb episode for ME, I just worry about that.
    Pretty much that. Though I will say that a show can be deep, and still be for kids, but I know what you mean (when I was a kid, I tended to look deep into the storylines of things), but ultimately I agree that it should remember who the show is really for, but also take note of season 1 and season 2 (which in turn took note of the previous generations) and continue to make a kid's show with good writing, and help the bronies realize that they are guests in this shows audience, not the audience themselves.

A common view that I've held myself is that things like gender roles are bad and.. well they are if someone is pressured into following it, which society tends to blindly do (I cringed in the toy aisle when I heard a boy say "I want this!" then get told "no you don't, that's for girls"). But if someone wants to follow a role - such as shock horror a girl wanting to play with pink ponies, great! The point is if a boy wants to, that should be fine too. And it's how we bring that about without turning the world into that dystopian enforced-equality nightmare.
    I agree with this, and it's a very good point. I have actually decided that if I have children, I'm going to let them decide what they like, regardless of what gender it's aimed for. I also agree that it's okay if you do want to follow a gender role then it's also okay.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Season 5 came out on Netflix so I caught up with the series. Slice of Life was my favorite episode. I liked getting to see more of the background ponies.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Oh man was that the episode with Doctor Whooves and so on? Because I LOVED that one

Also creepy pony stasi episode was pretty good

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was that episode, and it had secret identity agents and musical jam sessions

Blog Entries

Quiet thread is quiet. How's the ponying? Still ponying plenty here! I'm heading to Bronyscot at the weekend.

Hah, not that long since we were on about the Starlight Glimmer episode. To be honest since then I've grown tired of politicising things again - ponies should not be about politics. Still, I understand that better now and feel much better about that ep, after having read this review
    https://mlpforums.com/blog/1500/entr...pisode-review/
    which points out what 4chan discovered about M A Larson, that he's a fan of Harrison Bergeron

to quote,
    The story is a tale of how the society is built on enforced equality where any sign of superior talent or gift are immediately stamped out by 'handicapper generals', government agents who stamp out any sign of differences, by impairing the beautiful with a mask, the intelligent with a radio to scramble their thought processes, and the strong with heavy weights.
    In other words, assuming it's based on this, it's certainly not anti-equality or anti-feminism (which would've been very silly for MLP). What the message is against, is the means that some use to achieve it: by putting down those who are good at something, or perhaps privileged, rather than elevating those who are disadvantaged. Note: in my mind, "disadvantaged" isn't just a PC way of saying "disabled" or "not as good at things" but also means "at a disadvantage caused by society, such as the echoes of historical unfairness towards women"

This ties in somewhat with an image my aunt happened to share on Facebook one time

The actual image is about semantics and that tends to bug me (I get tired of changing words because of pedants, one of the reasons I still say 'feminism') - I would interpret "equality" as "an equal ability to see the game" - but that's the sort of thing and makes you realise there are two ways to achieve that equal status. Equality the Starlight Glimmer way would've been to lower the taller boys so they can't see either.

Anyway we've had much sweeter things since - that CMC episode... best episode ever or best episode ever?

Blog Entries

B...bump?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Have to admit it's been a few years since I watched this

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am unaware if a new season came out because I don't have the channel to watch it. I haven't seen a new season to talk about on netflix though.