Thread: How old does a movie need to be before it's one of your "All Time Favorites"?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default How old does a movie need to be before it's one of your "All Time Favorites"?

I watched a movie that was released in 2010 - it was a children's movie, I will admit, and I absolutly loved it. The emotions it gave me made me think of the movies I used to watch as a child, it had the same heart and emotion that movies had back then, rather than being overly childish. Already this movie is very special to me, and I feel warm inside when ever I watch the Blue Ray, and I am constantly "awwing" all the romantic scenes in the movie - I even want the soundtrack, which is official and not covers of real songs like most kid's movies are these days - I found the way they used animal sounds for the songs to be very creative, and it works - one of the "songs" is really beutiful.

However, is it too early to view this as one of my "All Time Favorites"? It's still a new movie, but it feels like I've been a fan all my life...

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If you love a movie that much then it's one of your all time favorites. Doesn't matter when you watched it or when it came out.

That being said, I like to give movies at least a year before make my true assessment of them. I typically get 'theatre hype' where I come out of a movie pretty psyched about what I just saw. I'm a person who tends to like everything while he's watching it because I'm easily entertained. Only months later do I realize how crappy the movie was. That's how I felt about The Lost World, Daredevil, The Phantom Menace and many others. But for movies like Iron Man and The Dark Knight, even a year later I still wanted to see them again and when I did I liked them just as much. So that's how I knew they were great movies, and up there with my favorites.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

What film are you referring to, MJN?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

The Lion King was my favorite movie as soon as I left the theater back in 1994 and it's still one of my favorites.

Same deal with a lot of more recent movies like Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes, the new Star Trek, etc.

So yeah, it doesn't matter to me~

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The general standard that I think most everyone goes by is that a film has to be at least 5 years old, unless it won an Oscar, and then it can only be 3 years old. I mean, you don't have to go by what everyone else does, I guess... just don't let anyone hear you talk about it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

There's no waiting period! If you can add new films to "the list" then I see no reason why you can't take them off as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Quina View Post
    That being said, I like to give movies at least a year before make my true assessment of them. I typically get 'theatre hype' where I come out of a movie pretty psyched about what I just saw. I'm a person who tends to like everything while he's watching it because I'm easily entertained. Only months later do I realize how crappy the movie was. That's how I felt about The Lost World, Daredevil, The Phantom Menace and many others. But for movies like Iron Man and The Dark Knight, even a year later I still wanted to see them again and when I did I liked them just as much. So that's how I knew they were great movies, and up there with my favorites.
    Yeah, the first time we got Rent from the video store I loved it. Then yesterday it came on TV and I watched it with my boyfriend since he had never seen it before and had expressed interest in seeing it once. The problem is, we kept getting interrupted, and we only caught the worst "I'm an ARTIST" parts. I hate that scene where Maureen is doing her...whatever that is on stage. Normally when I enjoy a film, I can ignore everything about it that I think is kind of sucky if I like the rest of it enough, but now only the parts I don't like are fresh in my memory. And those are also the only parts my boyfriend saw, so he won't want to watch it again xD

But uh yeah, time or reshowings can certainly dampen your opinion as well as improve it.

Blog Entries

When I saw inception it imediately became one of my top 5 favourite movies, which hadnt changed in about 5 years
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

I absolutely agree with all of the previous posts. It doesn't matter when a movie came out, if a movie just clicks for you, then its release date is irrelevant.

I have always been crazy about dinosaurs, and when my mother took me to see Jurassic Park when I was six, I knew that nothing could ever top it. Come to think about it, I can't believe that I was only six when I first saw it.

Blog Entries

I'm not really a movie goer (I'm cheap and like to watch them at home, for free ) so most of my favorite movies are pretty old. The Friday trilogy, the first two Toy Story films (the third one is one of my favorites too but not "old" yet), the Karate Kid movies, etc.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

There is no time requirement at all. For proof:

Lord of the Rings

It earned that status with the first teensy bit of it I saw. Before I even finished watching the movies in theatres, I knew that all three would rate that high.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't like watching movies, so for me, a film reaches that status if I want to watch it again after I finished it. I don't mean:

Friend: Hey, want to go watch ****** again?
    Me: Sure

I mean:

Friend: What the hell are you doing?
    Me: Getting in line to buy tickets so we can watch it again.
    Friend: Okay...
    Me: I mean come on! It was justsowowIcan'tbeleivethatonepartwheretheydidthethingandthecharacterizationofthecastisjustwonderfula ndIlovehowthesoundtrackjusthiteverysinglemomentwithemotionalecstacyimeanwhyarentyouoverherestandingi nlinesowecanwatchthistestamentofmovieawsomeness!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

That's the kind of thing that happens. I think The Dark Knight was the last film that has done that for me.