Kevin

smurfing

Bacon

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know right. Kevon Bacon speaking German was oddly extra entertaining.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This movie was actually good?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

It has a 86ish% approval rating.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah. A Marvel movie made by FOX... and it was actually good. I even went with comic nerds and they liked it.

It was pretty good, but I found it to be about half an hour too long. It dragged on in points just to drill the whole Professor X wants to co-exist peacefully, Magneto doesn't concept into your head, an idea that would probably be more interesting if we hadn't already seen 3 X-Men movies and how that all plays out. But overall I enjoyed it.

also the ginger kid annoyed me

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I'm worried that it's going to upset me because it has Havok, who at one point was my favourite Mutant, because he's Scott's younger brother and I have no clue how he exists with his powers then. :\

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I went and saw it with zero interest a couple hours ago. It was wonderful.

The fact that the theater was full of elementary school children whom the film was not intended for made for some priceless moments in the theater as well.
    I like Kung-Fu.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Michael Fassbender as Magneto: WOW

I'm surprised I didn't get pregnant just from watching him on screen. Jesus christ.

Nicholas Hoult was lovely as the Beast. He's come such a long way from About a Boy! Thought he was just fantastic. James McAvoy never fails me, and Kevin Bacon was a nice little surprise. Everyone else was sorta meh. Really liked the cold war backdrop to the whole movie.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It was pretty good. Probably second to X2 as the best X-Men movie.

The plot was basically the same as X-Men 1 except with different roles and in the past. (SPOILER)Shaw & White Queen = Magneto & Mystique with their doomsday device (never really explained what he was going to do with that). Magneto = Wolverine, the new guy trying to figure out what side to choose. So it didn't really do it for me. Though it did have better side plots and mutants like Beast and Banshee were much better portrayed than Cyclops and Storm. Also Kevin Bacon was awesome and Fassbender as Magneto was great too.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default Pretty good.

As far as X-Men movies go, it was one of the better ones by far. As far as comic book movies go, it's not quite so good as what Marvel has been putting out since Iron Man. The casting was well done, though. Fassbender makes a very good young Ian McKellen.

It needs to decide if it's supposed to be a prequel or a reboot, though. The continuity complications are annoying. Emma Frost appears in X-Men Origins: Wolverine as a young girl (although Origins already had enough continuity issues with Sabertooth); Hank McCoy (SPOILER)assumes his beast form near the end of this movie despite appearing otherwise human in his appearance in X-2.

(SPOILER)Wolverine cameo was smurfing awesome.

Edit: More continuity errors!
    (SPOILER)In X1, the helmet's ability to block Charles's telepathy is new. Also, Charles states that he and Erik met at the age of 17. Minor errors, admitted, but it's just kind of annoying.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 06-05-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I agree that it was not at the caliber of recent movies such as Iron Man and Thor, and I still think X2 is the best X-Men movie.

I also found the continuity errors annoying, but I guess I'd prefer a good move with continuity errors rather than a crappy one that tries to keep in line with the original trilogy and that horrible Wolverine movie.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought the movie was brilliant. I mean people go on about the retconning of the story and the comics etc in all the movies (heck people do it with games too, remember the fuss about Halo Reach and the books?) all the time and to that I'm going to point out that even the comic books retconn the out of each other. I mean seriously how many different Xmen comic lines are out there now? It's borderline ridiculous.

As a movie it was enjoyable, well filmed the casting was brilliant and the cameos within the movie were excellent. Especially (SPOILER)Wolverine showing up and simply stating "go smurf yourself" (though the line needed "bub" on the end to truly fit with Wolverine's attitudes in life). I was cautious about the idea of McAvoy being Charles Xavier but you can definitely see how he went from the position he is in during the first class movie to the position he went to in the earlier Xmen movies. He portrays the role of young Xavier so very, very well the right amount of arrogance and over-confidence in his own abilities.

The inclusion of Havok was brilliant I know in the comics he's not meant to be older than Scott Summers but frankly when I first heard about the movie I believed they were going to go with the idea of Cyclops which is entirely what IMDB said in it's initial document about the movie. That would have been a mistake for sure, the idea that Havok is in however kinda sets up the whole situation for Havok to actually be portrayed as the father of Scott Summers (which consider the time line, the fact that the film is in the 60s is more than plausible).

The film does a good job of explaining why Wolverine was not present in it and at the same point lends itself to helping the credibility of all the previous Xmen movies including Wolverine to a degree though the inclusion of the ending of Wolverine showing Emma Frost as a child during the escape of the mutants from the Deadpool development center. Is a jarring conflict of information. Personally I prefer the idea of Emma Frost in First Class as it fits in better with the whole fact that until Jean Grey becomes Phoenix she's the most powerful threat to Xavier that he doesn't exactly know how to deal with.

Over all the film is a good movie, if you're a comic geek who is expecting the movies to be the exact same as the comics, get over it because they're not the same and frankly if the movies were the same as the comics or even the old cartoon series it wouldn't be as good because of that fact. And if you consider it as not being as good as the comics are then try viewing it as different. In other words try to watch the movies forgetting what you know. If you can't do that then simply don't watch the movies.

To be honest I would definitely like to see more Xmen movies from the same director, he's done a great job with it. I wouldn't even care if they considered this a reboot point and redone the entire Xmen Trilogy. So long as Hugh Jackman keeps his role as Wolverine.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm going to count to three...