Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X-men: Revenge of the Jew

I thought it was alright. Kevin Bacon was the best thing in the movie (as expected) even if his character was underutilized a bit. He plays asshole characters so well (look at him in Sleepers if you haven't already).

They sure did pick some daft X-men to appear in this movie. I'd actually say that Magneto is the only X-men I actually dig. The rest are dumb. I also think within the Marvel universe that the X-men are kind of cheap in how they get their powers. While other Marvel characters have proper origin stories the X-men are just mutants and that's it. Bugs me a little.

I think the films problem is that it goes from being really serious (cuban missile crisis, nazi camps) to being really corny and silly in the blink of an eye. Set a theme for the movie and stick with it I say.

I'd say the film is still worth watching. Stands next to X2 as the best in the franchise.

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

i went into this film open minded, I tried hard not to think about the past smurf ups because that would really change my perception of the film, but this is how I see it.

It's basically the same message, about segregation, being made to feel like an outcast to society because you are different, nothing new, OK I get it.

Story line however was interesting, allowing the audience to get a better in site into Erik and Charles friendship, what they were like when they were younger, and the events that made them enemies, so the story line really is a good lesson for people unfamiliar with the original comics (in other words me). Both James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender gave brilliant performances and i genuinely cared for these characters, i felt sorry for Erik losing his parents in that way, i wanted him to get his revenge. With Charles I felt like i wanted to be his mate and go buy a pint with him, a funny and smart guy, quite witty, nothing like his older portrayal.

Every supporting character was 1 dimensional and had no character development, there soul purpose in the film is just to be there, we learn nothing much about them and don't care much for them. The only ones with development are beast and mystique (you could argue she was is a main character, but i beg to differ).

And now for the cameo...... it was either gunna be one of those moments when you laugh, or one of those moments were you go eurgh. For me its was a funny moment, it was about 10 seconds long and they didn't drag it on (thank you Matthew Vaughn)

So to finish of, i think it is the best X-Men movie so far.
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    You're all missing the key question here, which is why did Michael Fassbender's Magneto start talking with an Irish accent in the last section of the film.
    THIS! I meant to say this a week ago when I went to see the movie. I didn't notice it at all early on in the film, but toward the end it started creeping into everything as he was delivering his more powerful lines. I try not to get snobby about that kind of thing, but it really took me out of it being that his German-Jew heritage is such a big part of the character and the fact that everyone uses accents all over the damn place (good on Kevin Bacon for having a nice German accent imo).

Haven't seen it yet. Waiting till next year when it's available in the Red Box. My dad wants to see it desperately. My mom's put off by the fact that it seems to be an alternate continuity. Who is that Red Nightcrawler? Is that Nightcrawler? Why is he red? Why is Havoc on the team when he is Scott's younger brother and at this time Scott's apparently, at least, still in high school? Why is Emma Frost older and Charles Xavier younger?
    I told my mom that she would enjoy the movie if she thought of it as a stand alone film that had nothing to do with the previous installments. She's skeptical.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Wolverine had the best cameo in any comic book movie. Hilarious.

Anyway, it was a good movie, but I felt they tried to fit too much plot in. Professor X and Magneto were friends for, what -- a few weeks? -- before they split sides. I suppose they got around the need for years of friendship by having Hank build Cerebro, but their relationship still felt too short.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Professor X and Magneto were friends for, what -- a few weeks? -- before they split sides. I suppose they got around the need for years of friendship by having Hank build Cerebro, but their relationship still felt too short.
    That was one of the few things that bothered me. It was really tough to wrap my mind around how close they became so quickly.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

When X was saying to his crew "you've all come so far in this past week" I wanted to shout at them that nobody can train that quickly and that it is an unrealistic time progression. Of course that's too wordy for me and the cinema was quiet.

The Irish accent was wtf too. I think that helmet did funny things to him.

Still, loved it. X-Men makes me hot under the collar and seeing how X got wheel chaired was awesome in a sad kind of way.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    When X was saying to his crew "you've all come so far in this past week" I wanted to shout at them that nobody can train that quickly and that it is an unrealistic time progression. Of course that's too wordy for me and the cinema was quiet.
    Next time, just yell smurf YOU. That went over pretty well here.

oh my god this movie was amazing

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed this movie. Probably because I've already liked Magneto and found his story interesting. And Kevin Bacon scares the tit piles out of me.