Thread: Paragon vs Renegade - aka you're all a bunch of huge sissies

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default Excuses, excuses.

All I'm hearing is a bunch of whining about why you people haven't seen Commander Shepard push someone out of a window yet.

No one I know plays the asshole in any game where you can so it's always up to me. Not that I don't mind it though, as it's often the funniest route to take imo.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Paragon vs. Renegade is less about good/evil and more about being nice or being mean. I mean, Shepard is ultimately one of the "good guys" either way. Sort of.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It just doesn't make sense to make shepard a complete dick.

But it's fun to do in replays.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always play as the renegade sentinel on Me1 and Me2
    I just love the play-style. Also renegade is always the better choice
    YouTube - ‪Mass Effect 2 - Stoned Volus (Renegade)‬‏
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If I was into replaying the game, I'd probably do it. If ME1 was out on PS3 and had trophies, I'd be even more likely to have done it, as for some reason I find trophies more fun to collect than achievements. I don't know why, I just do.

I agree with the whole immersion thing and trying to play out how I would be in the situation rather than doing something just for the laughs you can get out of it. My first play-through will always be as a good guy as I actually enjoy being a good person, so it makes sense for me to be a person I enjoy being in the game - at least for the first play-through, anyway.

I very rarely replay games, though, especially on the 360. Maybe it's the controller or the layout of the operating system. Dunno, I just prefer the PS3 trophies, so am more likely to replay games on that. And even then, only a couple of them have been replayed so far.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It just doesn't make sense to make shepard a complete dick.
    Why not?

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

yea yea mate i love me trophies can't be dealin' with those bogan ass achievements, not on mate

bloody hell mate that old shiela's being robbed by a little yobbo, better go an put him in his place bastard little renegade

mate i dunno why this sheila's got her finger up me date but it's got me grinnin like a shot fox

I have acquired both the Paragon and Renegade achievements.

Renegade tends to be a bit inconsistent at times, as a Renegade Shepard seems to make it his life's worth to piss off everyone, regardless of actual views or standpoints. So one minute you'll be arguing about how non-humans are scum, and the next you'll be telling Ashley to stop bitching about the non-humans.

Paragon is a lot more consistent, because you are generally being the same goody-goody to everyone, and your responses tend to reflect that. You actually tend to take a middle ground in most of the arguments, understanding other people's views, and accepting them, but not necessarily endorsing them.

So I wind up playing Paragon a bit more than I play Renegade, but there are certainly some enjoyable moments on the Renegade side.

Although, I have to say, there are a couple Renegade choices I never pick. Udina is never my choice for Councilor, and I never acquire Morinth in ME2 (past the one time to get Dominate). Those decisions make no sense from either viewpoint.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Dan, mate, you think about Peter Andre too much mate. It's not healthy, mate. , mate.
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 06-08-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added more mate for my mate, mate.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I never acquire Morinth because I never have enough Charm or Intimidate to make it past her third attempt to mind control Shepard, even if I do it last, even with DLC! I wanted to do it for my Worst File Ever, but I just couldn't. Maybe I need that little import bonus.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

That's weird, you might just have a dodgy glitch going on there, I had enough points to charm and intimidate her and I did it halfway through ME2, didn't have either one maxed out. The import bonus doesn't make that big of a difference I don't think. Blagged really as well, I used dominate pretty heavily once I unlocked it.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Although, I have to say, there are a couple Renegade choices I never pick. Udina is never my choice for Councilor, and I never acquire Morinth in ME2 (past the one time to get Dominate). Those decisions make no sense from either viewpoint.
    Same here for udina because I hate him with a passion and well Morinth for a different reason. I could've gotten her on my first goody-goody playthrough but I didn't know how much trouble I would have trying to get her later. I always have maxed para or rene but it just doesn't seem to work. I dunnu its a pain, I want morinth!
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I was reading up on the Morinth thing, and apparently the amount of Paragon/Renegade points you need for a choice increase as you go on. So the longer I waited, the more points I needed. I think there may also be a bug that includes missions done on a previous import. So if you import a file or do a NG+, it's pretty impossible. In any case, there are people with a nearly maxed out Renegade score that can't do it, and people halfway there that can.

EDIT:

Nvm

Quote Originally Posted by Some dude at the Bioware forums
    The Paragon/Renegade system works on a percentage based system. Basically, each dialogue choice in the whole game has a number of Paragon or Renegade points to give you. At each Charm/Intimidate decision point, it then adds up the potential number of Paragon/Renegade points that you could have received by that point, and compares it against the number of points that you actually received. So, say that you could have obtained 100 Renegade points by the time Morinth tries to seduce you, but have only managed to accumulate 65 points out of the required 80 for the decision to be available to you. However, if you had gone truly Renegade on some random dialogue a few missions ago, you might have obtained those points that you need now.