Thread: Red Dragon Randomly Encountered?

Default Red Dragon Randomly Encountered.

I'm playing through Final Fantasy Origins for the umpteenth time, and am using a Monk, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage. I'm at the Gurgu Volcano, and keep getting my butt handed to me on a silver platter (not common for me in RPGs at all). Why? Because, I've randomly encountered a Red Dragon. Twice. I've searched a lot of FF1 pages on the net, and haven't read anything about randomly encountering Red Dragons in the Gurgu Volcano. We all know about the famous encounter with the one guarding the chest at the end of the Volcano, but I don't seem to ever recall encountering them randomly. I was in a treasure room during one of the encounters (not the room with the famous chest), so I thought maybe I had discovered a second Red Dragon hideout spot. However, I was later trying to beat the Volcano again, and randomly encountered a second Red Dragon OUTSIDE the treasure rooms. This one was on the main path in B4.

Has anyone else seen this?
    Last edited by Lightning Hunter; 06-07-2011 at 04:38 AM.

I've personally never encountered Red Dragons outside of the Last Floor of the Volcano or in Dark Bahamut's Challenge in the Soul of Chaos Dungeon. That's really strange. And from the guides I've read, Red Dragons shouldn't be random encounters. The most dangerous random encounter you should be running into are Pyroses/Fire Elementals.

That's exactly what I thought! I remember the toughest battles in the volcano being the Pyros/Fire and Fire Gigas/R.Giant. This is the first time I've randomly encountered Red Dragons, and it happened twice! Is this some sort of bug? I'd be curious to know if someone could dissect the Final Fantasy Origins code, and see if Red Dragons really are supposed to appear randomly in the Volcano.

I also just now randomly encountered a Blue Dragon in the 2nd floor of the Tower of Mirage. Is that supposed to happen either? I thought there was only one Blue Dragon at the end of the tower.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

There's only supposed to be one red dragon guarding the path to a chest on the last floor of the volcano and one blue dragon guarding the tile in the Mirage Tower that teleports to the Sky Castle. Anything else is a glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    There's only supposed to be one red dragon guarding the path to a chest on the last floor of the volcano and one blue dragon guarding the tile in the Mirage Tower that teleports to the Sky Castle. Anything else is a glitch.
    In that case, I guess I have encountered multiple glitches. I should have recorded it. too late now! I wonder what sort of glitch possibly caused me to randomly encounter two Red Dragons in the volcano, and one blue dragon in the Tower of Mirage? Something else I've noticed is that I keep encountering LOTS of Green Dragons in the temple of chaos. I know you are supposed to encounter them here, but the fact that I found them like 10 times in a row (in groups of 4) might be a glitch. Needless to say, I didn't survive the trip due to their Toxin attack... I don't know what the deal is with my party finding multitudes of dragons this playthrough, but maybe it has to do with the combination (Thief, Monk, White Mage, and Black Mage).
    Last edited by Lightning Hunter; 06-27-2011 at 02:32 AM.

I think you should just play Dragon Warrior instead, lol.