View Poll Results: Who will win the league this season?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man Utd

8 50.00%
  • Chelsea

3 18.75%
  • Man City

2 12.50%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Liverpool

2 12.50%
  • Swansea

1 6.25%
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10202425262728293031323334353640 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 English Football Season and STEWART DOWNING WHAT ON EARTH Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    sat watching that game with a perplexed look on his face as he listened to ITV complimenting England's performance when they were 2-0 down and being outplayed:
    What, have you never watched any England game ever?

I got so tired of watching the football that I ended up just having it on in the background while I played Yahtzee. Ever since seeing the stick Capello got, and seeing him forced out....sorry 'mutually left' I've gone off watching England play somewhat.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Thanks Old Manus I am glad I didn't have to watch that game now. So basically, England: Still worthless? Rightio. Brave Scotty Parker, True Lion of England was a funny choice for captain. Yes, alright Daniel, the media have been jizzing all over him the past 12 months and that of course makes him A World Class Player. I've never disliked Scotty P, don't get me wrong, but captain? Media pandering. You need someone with more international and European experience to lead the team. He's played what, 10 international games and 17 in Europe? Eh. And no not Stevie G either, I want him to retire from international football.

Wait for it...

ASHLEY COLE.

Utter sackfuls of experience. Made a bunch of Arsenal fans cry. Is the only player in the GOLDEN GENERATION to actually not play like a bag of balls in an England shirt.

Just give it to Joe Hart and move on. Frankly, I don't see at all what the big deal is over this. Would giving one player the Captaincy over another actually make the team better? No, it wouldn't.

In other news, USA, USA USA! Great win for us over a team that we have struggled to beat. Dempsey has proven himself to be a world class player, not just for America but for any country. Frankly, I would love for Liverpool to take a run at him as I think he could be a huge boost to our attack and it would be great to root for a Yank, especially since the team is owned by the Red Sox.

Take care all.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Newcastle vs Sunderland this weekend, I can feel the malice in the air coming to a boil already or someone forgot to pick up after their dogs... common thing in this neck of the woods, then someone steps in it and spreads it all over the pavement, grass and someone else trails it into the house, carpets and- oh dear getting sidetracked... derp...

Yeah I'd be looking forward to the game if I weren't at band practice during the day but I'll be getting someone to give me updates. Hoping Newcastle can pull off all 3 points but can see it going either way or most likely a draw.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Articles

Can't believe that trout. No Champions League for LFC and there won't be until we put these games where we dominate to bed. It's the same old story. City, United, Norwich...doesn't matter who it is, it's the same. van Persie The man had like two touches of the ball in the entire game and both went in. If we had a player who could score like that...

Sign Soldado from Valencia. Offer him £300,000 per week; that should do it. Sell Charlie Adam for haggis meat if you have to in order to fund this.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Liverpool's biggest problem is their mentality. They are so defensive it's unpleasant to watch. Aside from that they simply do not have enough flair to create chances. Players like Adam, Downing, & Henderson, all good players but they don't have any cutting edge. They don't have anyone in the team who will make a killer pass. They are good at holding onto the ball, can cross, shoot, but are a little too one-dimensional. But I think this is due to the way the academies are set up out there where they promote this style of play that they think is best. There's a massive lack of playmakers in England. It's also why I don't understand why Bellamy doesn't start all the time. He's one of the only players who can beat someone and makes things happen.

I just think they should go for broke a little more. Go 4-3-3 like Arsenal do against the lesser teams. Put Suarez as a winger with Bellamy on the opposite side & Carroll in the middle, with the wing backs bombing forward. You might concede more but your more than likely going to create more chances. My 2 cents anyway. Deserves to be mentioned that Van Persie is the best striker in the world at the moment.

Articles

I disagree strongly with that, Donal. Liverpool are an extremely attacking side under Dalglish. Certainly the most attacking I've known us to be in the past 15ish years, since Roy Evans left. We're definitely making chances - I think we had 40+ (no exaggeration) in the Cup final. We just can't score - that is the problem! Also, Craig Bellamy can't start every game - he has a knee problem. He is sort of like Ledley King.

I agree with the 4-3-3 suggestion though, I think that would be an ideal formation for LFC. Kuyt/Maxi can deputise for Bellamy when he has knee knack.

Blog Entries

Oh God, I just saw the Liverpool game on MotD. You're right, there is some kind of aura at Anfield that compels opposition goalkeepers to play absolute stormers.

there was a picture here

Liverpool do create chances and play positive football. The problem is, they DO NOT FINISH. They have been a bit unlucky, as I think they've hit the posts the most times in the league but frankly this game illuminates their problem: They retained the majority of possession, had more chances, but Van Persie gets two touches and converts both.

I stand by what I said a few weeks ago, sell Suarez for as much as you can get. Real Madrid have apparently been interested and buy more clinical poachers up front. We need someone who will convert chances, in the vein of what Klose seems to do for Germany. Even if they only get a few touches, they will convert more often then not. For all of Suarez's pace and trickery, he just doesn't convert enough for Liverpool.

I would like to see the 4-3-3 setup as well. If/when Gerrard stays healthy, he should play through the middle of the midfield with Suarez and Bellamy/Kuyt on the flanks and Carroll up front. Henderson should deputize for Gerrard while Downing and Spearing also play in the midfield.

I have been supremely disappointed with Charlie Adam. What happened to his superb set-piece ability? He failed to beat the first man on free kicks and corners all day and that has been the norm for him. I think he needs to sit and work on the training ground for a few games.

Realistically, Liverpool should focus on the FA Cup now. We are ten points out of 4th and unless we dramatically pick up our play, we are not getting CL football next year. It's a tough call but winning a second trophy would make this season a modest success.

Also, what's this that I hear our old friend Rafa might be coming to Chelsea?

Take care all.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Van Persie league goals this season - 25
    Liverpool league goals this season - 30 (6th lowest in the Premiership I think)

And that's pretty much their problem in a nutshell.

In the meantime can Chelsea carry on being rubbish for another month at least?

EDIT: Blast, they got rid of Villas-Boas.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 03-04-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

That match was rough but a draw's a draw, 4 points in 6 gained from the "unwashed" this season. But that was the filthiest game of football I've seen for a while. Lee Cattermole has always been a brutish, brash and sometimes dirty player but he should've seen red within the first minute, well he did get sent off after the whistle for calling the ref something profane.
    Cheick Tiote's drama dive after Sessegnon backhanded him was uncalled for but it got him sent off and set the pace for the rest of the match where the rest of the Sunderland team were confined to their box. I just cannot believe Ba missed a penalty and Shola Ameobi scores, I guess his title of Mackem Slayer isn't just a running joke after all.

Post derby tensions haven't been too bad but the odd drunken brawl in the town centre here in South Shields, just a bit away from Newcastle. I managed to miss that by minutes as I was passing through to get home from band practice.
    I've heard that the Sunderland fans at the game were spreading their own poo all over the walls of the away end toilets and were urinating down the steps. I know its a derby, tensions are high but football is football, not an excuse to be a complete sod. Black And White or Red And White.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Articles

lol chelsea what will you do next

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Now there's the Man City I know and love. Where have you been hiding all this time, baby.

Articles

I'll pre-emptively ban Old Manus.

Also hi-five. This is like the Roy Hodgson days. Hell, this is like the Graeme Souness days! Nostalgia! I still want my beautiful baby Rafa back on the coaching staff to team up with Kenny. Hands off him Chelski.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

SWANSEA YOU BUNCH OF LEGENDS! Was gutted when Sinclair missed the peno but they still managed the result in the end, massive respect.

Apologies for the delayed reply on the Liverpool debate. They really do have a problem at scoring goals. I also hold onto the thought that they are too defensive. They sit so deep. I can't help but think of the likes of Blackpool last season or Norwich now and seeing them score a bunch of goals yet Liverpool struggle yet they have better players. I'm aware that the lesser teams do set up shop at Anfield but still. If they had a poacher on their team I think they could nick a goal here and there though.