View Poll Results: Who will win the league this season?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man Utd

8 50.00%
  • Chelsea

3 18.75%
  • Man City

2 12.50%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Liverpool

2 12.50%
  • Swansea

1 6.25%
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121626 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 English Football Season and STEWART DOWNING WHAT ON EARTH Thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I really have to ask - how did you find out about this video's existence?

EDIT: And THAT is hardly the same thing hahaha.

Articles

I spent many hours today going through my collection of 90's Football Italia tapings, so as to find an incident to catch Mancini out. It was either that or the time he inadvertently exposed himself to the giant purple goose that serves as the Fiorentina mascot.

Blog Entries

What a show.

there was a picture here

If Tevez doesn't leave, City will either look really silly having both Aguero and Tevez, or they could have the most lethal strike force in the Premier League. I remember that one game of FM where I had Tevez, Rooney, Aguero, Vucinic and Tevez and Aguero did work very well (and obviously, FM is a perfect reflection of real-life).

EDIT: In other news, Paul Scholes has decided to reverse twenty years of silence by talking about everything. Paul, please shut up. After Giggs decided to have sex with anything that has a vagina within twenty metres of him, you are the last pure football legend left.
    Last edited by champagne supernova; 07-28-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Articles

Scholes is right, though. You don't need to replace him with the likes of Sneijder, you need to replace Owen Hargreaves.

Anyway, did Tevez or Aguero win the Copa America's most valuable player award unlike a certain beautiful Uruguayan? No? THEN I AM NOT INTERESTED. City to win the title. There's a bold prediction for you. Let me just vote in this here poll.

In fact, top four:

1. Man City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Man Utd
    4. Arsenal

Unless Man United buy a new Owen Hargreaves type player before then of course. Then I will predict they will at the very least finish ahead of Chelsea, and maybe City too.

I want the season to start already! I'm just excited for the return of classic Liverpool. And by classic Liverpool I mean the Liverpool of my youth, not the conquering machine of a hundred years ago. Too long we've had the likes of Houllier and Benitez having us play cautious steady football. Now we're back to the good old Roy Evans days of "go ahead, score three goals against us, we're gonna score four." (Just ask Newcastle. Twice. ) Our defence is so unbelievably dire. We have perhaps two legitimately good defenders - Glen Johnson, who you could argue doesn't do much defending and you'd be right - and Daniel Agger, who spends approximately 80% of the season injured. Martin Kelly is progressing nicely, and Skrtel and the aging Carragher can put in a good performance every now and then, as can Fabio Aurelio when he isn't hanging out with Agger in the physio room, but it's not enough. Either way, we will definitely be the most entertaining team in the league to watch next season, win or lose. Well, unless you buy into that beautiful Arsenal football (aka 90 minutes of fannying about) hype. Mind you, Wenger is usually a pretty good watch, but maybe not for the reasons he thinks.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

When it comes to entertainment, no team could match Blackpool, someone needs to step up to the plate!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Scholes is right, though. You don't need to replace him with the likes of Sneijder, you need to replace Owen Hargreaves.
    His name is Scott Parker. Or Danielle de Rossi. But Scott Parker is a proven quantity and he'll be cheap. I don't know why Ferguson is being stubborn about this.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    When it comes to entertainment, no team could match Blackpool, someone needs to step up to the plate!
    From the manager to the pitch, pure entertainment!
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova
    His name is Scott Parker. Or Danielle de Rossi. But Scott Parker is a proven quantity and he'll be cheap. I don't know why Ferguson is being stubborn about this.
    I never really got the hype about Scott Parker to be honest. I seen him play a few games last season and although I think he is a decent player, he is overrated by the English media. I don't think it's much of a surprise that their have been much offers (if any) for Parker as of yet.

I still think United need a playmaker. Again, Sneijder is ideal in my eyes but anyone Fergie brings in for that role I would be willing to trust.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Hargreaves has only really consistently played in one of our recent seasons since Keane left. How many of those seasons have we won the title? We don't need to replace him. We have players who can play defensively if the need comes. We have both Jones and Fletcher who can play with a defensive head in midfield and have done so on numerous occasions at current/former clubs.

Personally, I'd say our #1 requirement would be a fullback, as we only have three that are proven fullbacks. Three is not good enough.

City to win the league? Extremely bold. But with Aguero up there with Tevez, it will be interesting. Still, so long as they have City-drama like last season, there is no chance. They rely too heavily on a player who does not want to be there. Unless the other strikers up their game considerably, they will not win the title. So it's possible, for me, but I'd say unlikely. I mean, it's possible Liverpool could win it, too, but I don't think it will happen this season coming. I think they need that one season back in the CL before they get to the title. Now that I think about it, City will be in the CL for the first time, too, so they will need more from their players in order to do well in both CL & the title, so I think it will be a very big ask of them.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Fletcher aint the player he was two years ago - he seems to have been going backwards. And Jones, yeah, he can play as a DM, but it's in the same way that Jamie Carragher could play as a DM. He could do it, but he wasn't at the level a title winning side needs. I think United got the most out of both Anderson and Carrick when they had the Canuck about. tbh I think last season's United side was one of the poorest United sides I have seen. That's not to say they were a bad team - far from it! they won the smurfing league after all! - but they struck me as more... assailable? than other formidable red devils teams in the past.

Also, no, Liverpool cannot win the league this season and would do very well to finish in the top four. The team isn't ready yet. If we carry on investing at the rate we have been, and if our youth carries on developing as it has been, then in 2-3 years, watch the smurf out. But for now, we are where we are.

Last season at the top really was a case of 'the least worst team wins the title' - Man Utd won five away games all season, Chelsea won one game in two months at one point but still finished second and Arsenal won two games in the last three months of the season. Not to mention the relatively ropey defences all round (even going into April Man Utd had let in as many goals as Arsenal, which is saying something). Interesting to see how this season compares. I can't see beyond Man Utd or Chelsea, though a lot depends on how Man City do with juggling European Cup football and the league, and dealing with the pressure now of an expected title challenge.

Blog Entries

Wayne Routledge and Leroy Lita confirmed for <s>brawl</s> the Swans. Look out Premier League, we now have average players by the shedload.

there was a picture here

The mighty New Zealand will have to beat the 4th best team in Concacaf (so Costa Rica or Honduras most likely) to make the next World Cup. Go for another unbeaten campaign guys!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Fletcher aint the player he was two years ago - he seems to have been going backwards.
    He was just injured for a large chunk of last season. Not much you can do about that. The season before everyone was singing his praises, so there you go.

And Jones, yeah, he can play as a DM, but it's in the same way that Jamie Carragher could play as a DM. He could do it, but he wasn't at the level a title winning side needs.
    Luckily a "proper" DM has not been something we've needed to win the league for many years now.
    I think United got the most out of both Anderson and Carrick when they had the Canuck about.
    I disagree - our best games have been when we were on the attack with a box-to-box (or as close as one we could get our hands on - ie Anderson/Carrick/Fletcher) player man-marking the opposition's creative midfielder (Anderson was awesome against Gerrard and Fabregas early in his United career - hopefully he can find that kind of game again)
    tbh I think last season's United side was one of the poorest United sides I have seen. That's not to say they were a bad team - far from it! they won the smurfing league after all! - but they struck me as more... assailable? than other formidable red devils teams in the past.
    I agree with this on some level, but I think it was not so much United worsening (although they weren't at their best) as it was the rest of the league dramatically improving. There are no weak-as-weak sides these days, or maybe it just feels that way since we had such bad away form... hey, if we fixed that then we would have done way better. :S Only lost 2 points at home!
    Also, no, Liverpool cannot win the league this season and would do very well to finish in the top four. The team isn't ready yet. If we carry on investing at the rate we have been, and if our youth carries on developing as it has been, then in 2-3 years, watch the smurf out. But for now, we are where we are.
    I genuinely expect you to challenge for the top four spots. I think, at the end of last season, you were doing just a well as City and Spurs were, weren't you? So why not?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!