View Poll Results: Who will win the league this season?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man Utd

8 50.00%
  • Chelsea

3 18.75%
  • Man City

2 12.50%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Liverpool

2 12.50%
  • Swansea

1 6.25%
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131727 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 English Football Season and STEWART DOWNING WHAT ON EARTH Thread

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

World Cup qualifying draw for the home nations:

Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Scotland, Macedonia, Wales
    Germany, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Austria, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan
    Portugal, Russia, Israel, Northern Ireland, Azerbaijan, Luxembourg
    England, Montenegro, Ukraine, Poland, Moldova, San Marino

Spain and France drawn together as well.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Hargreaves has only really consistently played in one of our recent seasons since Keane left. How many of those seasons have we won the title?
    It was the season that we won the Champions League.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony Bob
    We don't need to replace him. We have players who can play defensively if the need comes. We have both Jones and Fletcher who can play with a defensive head in midfield and have done so on numerous occasions at current/former clubs.
    Hargreaves may be more defensively minded, but he wasn't a player to sit around the halfway line like a Carrick or Alonso. He was a very energetic player. Fletcher fits the mould but not Jones.

And Scott Parker started out life as an attacking midfielder. He may have become more defensively capable and played in a more defensive role (especially for England), but he is still a force going forward. And he is a relatively cheap gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony Bob
    Personally, I'd say our #1 requirement would be a fullback, as we only have three that are proven fullbacks. Three is not good enough.
    Yeah, but we also have Fletcher and Valencia who can both cover suitably well at right-back. Evans can also go either side and if Jones can play as a defensive midfielder, he can play as a full-back too.

It's our midfield that's been weak for ages. Our most creative player in the midfield is Ryan Giggs. And he won't play every game. Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson have been inconsistent lately (okay, they have had virus and injury woes, but still) and once we go through them, we have the choice of playing Park as a central midfielder or throwing in Cleverley.

I don't understand why Scott Parker is so underrated by fans. He won the Football Writer's Player of the Year award playing for a team that was utterly dreadful.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Last season at the top really was a case of 'the least worst team wins the title'
    We got to the Champions League final and won the the title at a canter. Our home form was practically perfect. I'm tired of people saying this when we were actually by out and far the best team in the league when the league itself was the most competitive I've seen since I had starting watching the game as a kid. I think we had only three defeats all season (off the top of my head, not sure). People need to start respecting us and the manager more, instead of always pointing the finger at other teams and saying 'if only'.

I'm with BoB with that Hargreaves does not need to be replaced. To my recollection he was an average DM and nothing more, but an awesome winger. It is a pity to see injury ruin his career, he came across as a nice lad whenever he had an interview.
    Last edited by Rocket Edge; 07-31-2011 at 11:52 AM.

I think this is the first time in recent memory that no one team is a shoe-in for the title. Every team has obvious holes and with the season just two weeks away, I can see anything really happening.

Man Utd - Real questions in central midfield. They have the strikers and their d is usually pretty solid but the EPL is dominated by the midfield usually. If they can get a good solid central midfielder to boss the game, they'll be in much better shape.

Chelsea - Very unsettled Strikers right now. If Torres and Drogba find a way to play together, watch out, but can they? Also, a lot of their key players are getting up there in age and with age comes injuries. I like their new manager and am curious to see how quickly he settles in.

Liverpool - As Paul said, I think they will be very high-powered offensive team that can beat you several ways. Between Adams and Suarez, you have two players who are vastly individually skilled. Add in Downing, Carroll, Kuyt and perhaps someday a fit Gerrard and you have a power football team as well. Their biggest issue is defense. They MUST sign some new defenders ASAP.

Arsenal - A real wildcard. Will they hold on to their key central players? Will they bring in Mata? Will Wenger run out of cups and bottles to throw? Will they get real consistent goalkeeping? A lot of ifs and not much set in stone. Other then Van Persie will score a bunch of goals, then get injured for 6 weeks.

Man City - They CAN win the title or crash out of the Top 4. Much like Chelsea, they seem to want to have an All-star at every position, but that doesn't always work. Sometimes, you need a few more down and dirty players and less glitzy playmakers, so I'll be interested to see how they play as a group. Tevez will be a real headache, though if he does stay, they'll have some kind of strikeforce.

Spurs - Poor Spurs. They seem to have been written off already, but I'm not so sure. If they hold on to Modric, they can still challenge for Top 4. What they need to settle is their strikers. They can't be as bad as last year, can they?

I think any of these 6 can get in the Top 4, but I think only the Manchesters and maybe Chelsea can win the league this season. If Liverpool adds to its defense, then maybe they can make a run too, but I agree that they're another year away.

Take care all.

It's not a question of replacing Hargreaves as such. United need someone who has both energy and vision. Scholes used to have that, but in the last couple years, that has subsided. At the moment we have one player who has vision (sometimes) but sits deep in Carrick, we have a player who has vision and can still run with the ball but who's legs are fading (Giggs) and then 3 players with lots of energy but who's vision isn't always that fantastic (Anderson, Fletcher & Park). I don't think Fletcher or Park will ever be midfield maestros, but Anderson has had his moments (some of the through-balls he played to set-up goals are impressive), so we've either got to hope that Anderson improves this side of his game or that Cleverley is the new black.

I'm not particularly sure if I would buy Sneidjer to do this because I think he is like van der Vaart; likes to float freely behind the striker (which is probably why Holland is less good when they both play). And we play 2 strikers most of the time, so what is the point of spending 35 mil on him.

Anyway, in Fergie we trust.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Every press conference, SAF says "There's no interest" in Sneijder. It's amazing that everyone still says he's the one we're after. I mean... if he is, then why "no interest"? SAF plays mind games a lot, but he could just say something like "He's a good player but he has a good contract at Inter and we respect that" or something instead. I actually think SAF means it when he says "no interest". I think SAF would be after someone else, we know whe wanted Modric but that's not gone anywhere because Modric is in love with London, meanwhile Nasri is in two minds and looks to be staying in Arsenal at the moment. So... someone else? In SAF's words, if there is nobody available in the mould of player he wants (and that has enough quality to improve the squad), then he'll stick with what he's got. He's done it before, I'd not be surprised if he does it again. A worry, but hey, that's the way it all goes. Better off waiting for someone great to come up than settling for someone who won't help us win, I suppose.

I stand by my assertion that a fullback is a major requirement. We still have Giggs, Fletch, Anderson, Carrick in midfield, with Gibson, Cleverley and Park all ready to play in central midfield too and all established in that role (Park played there all the time before he arrived at United). But for there to be no established 4th fullback is silly. Rafael just got injured and Fabio is equally injury prone. For me, it's a major concern. Smalling and Evans at fullback are bigger liabilities than Gibson in central mid.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

If we'd known we could've let you have Paul Konchesky.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Prediction time:

1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd
    3. Man City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Liverpool
    6. Spurs

Relegated: Swansea, QPR, Blackburn
    FA Cup: Arsenal
    League Cup: Chelsea
    European Cup: Real Madrid
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Crap, I could have sworn I'd posted the predictions in this thread, not the fantasy football thread. xD Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Who's going to get relegated and who is going to get promoted from the Championship? That's six spots, so hopefully come end of the season we can remember to check back at it all.

I'm going to go with my heart for some.
    PL Title: Manchester United
    Top Four: Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool
    Relegated: Norwich, Wigan, Swansea
    Promoted: Blackpool, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham

Arsenal only losing out because they couldn't hold onto one of Nasri or Fabregas, and didn't buy a good replacement for Clichy or any of the rest of their defence from ten years ago.

Normally I'd say that Swansea would stay up through sheer grit but seeing Blackpool go down has taught me a harsh lesson there.
    I'll also add that I think Sunderland have a good chance of getting into Europa League. I know Brown and O'Shea are old folks out there and at United some regarded them as second rate, but I think they'll excel even more than they ever did at United when they play week-in, week-out at their new club. There are questions about Sunderland's attack (Gyan excepted) now that Bent/Welbeck aren't there, mind you. I'll probably keep an eye on them to see how they do. I say 'probably' - O'Shea is one of my favourite players ever so I almost definitely will at least track his progress there.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Sunderland have made some solid signings, although I've never really rated Steve Bruce as a manager. I'd be very surprised if they made the Europa.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, I think we'll see an improvement for Sunderland this year, but I'd be surprised if they make Europe. I think that when you consider that last season's top 6 will probably be this season's top 6, there's only one possible place (7th) up for grabs and I'm not convinced I see Sunderland as being the best of the rest. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they finished above us though; 7th is the best I'm realistically hoping for for Everton. Who have apparently been priced out of even a free transfer.

As for City winning the League, I just don't know. I can see them doing well, but winning it? I can see they have the quality to do exceedingly well, but I can't see them winning it just yet. Season after I think will be their chance to make a serious challenge.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Predictions for the Table

1. Man United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man City
    5. Spurs
    6. Liverpool
    7. Aston Villa

Relegated: Blackburn, Wigan, Swansea

Promoted: West Ham, Reading, Blackpool

FA Cup - Man United
    Champions League - Chelsea
    League Cup - Arsenal

Articles

I don't get how you can win Fantasy Football and get it so wrong, Donal! Liverpool will easily finish above Spurs. It took them until the last couple of games to do it last season, and you have to bear in mind we had a face-rubbing lunatic and an emo spaniard for half of it. I GUARAN-DAMN-TEE we will finish ahead of Spurs. If we do not, I will willingly put on a Harry Redknapp (or Gerry Francis!) avatar for a month afterwards!

Sorry but finishing above Spurs is all I have left in football, okay?

Oh, and Arsenal will win no trophies too. Just 'cause.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'd find the prospect of Psy having an 'Arry avatar hilarious if I only I didn't hate Redknapp.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Tuned in to watch some of the Liverpool friendly and remembered why I am thoroughly annoyed with friendlies/pre-season, etc. The only thing that ever actually counts from these events are injuries. Hopefully Glen Johnson is ok.

I'm just happy that the season is this close.

Also, I need to once again declare my love for King Kenny, because, after the big voids of charisma Liverpool have had on the sidelines for the last few seasons, seeing him there, smiling, waving, laughing and joking with his players, makes me remember that we're all just watching a game and IT SHOULD BE FUN!

Take care all.