View Poll Results: Who will win the league this season?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man Utd

8 50.00%
  • Chelsea

3 18.75%
  • Man City

2 12.50%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Liverpool

2 12.50%
  • Swansea

1 6.25%
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141828 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 English Football Season and STEWART DOWNING WHAT ON EARTH Thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Tuned in to watch some of the Liverpool friendly and remembered why I am thoroughly annoyed with friendlies/pre-season, etc. The only thing that ever actually counts from these events are injuries. Hopefully Glen Johnson is ok.
    I am more comfortable seeing Martin Kelly at right-back than Glen Johnson. Although Johnson seemed to be much better when he was playing at left-back last season to accommodate Kelly anyway.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I do think De Gea is a fantastic keeper and will be one for us for many years, but man, how did he not stop that? =/

EDIT: Oh my God, that was a fantastic second goal for us.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I do think De Gea is a fantastic keeper and will be one for us for many years, but man, how did he not stop that? =/
    Apparently he was at fault for both goals - I didn't see the first one though so I don't know. I hope this severely knocks his confidence and he goes on to be a massive failure. Cleverley doesn't seem half bad though. I didn't realise Utd had a dynamic midfielder like him - he really looks like he can perform at the highest level and could be that missing piece of the puzzle that I was talking about. I may have to revise my title predictions.

Having said that, that's not to rip on City. David Silva is out of this smurfing world. Very underrated player. Would walk into any Premiership team's XI.

e: I feel cheated. I sat through most of that game just to watch Aguero and he didn't even get off the bench

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

De Gea could be seen as at fault for the first goal, but that would be slightly on the harsh side given that it was a header from about two to three yards out. But he could have maybe claimed it? Dunno. It was a cracking ball in from Silva that got that goal and I think it was more a matter of a good set piece by City than poor defending. Silva is underrated? Not by me, and not by anyone I know. He's brilliant and I think everyone who watches football knows it - he was linked with every club in the world from a young age.

I saw Cleverley in last season's pre-season, and thought he was pretty good then. I saw him in a few games for Wigan and thought he did okay. This pre-season he's been fantastic, though, and I have to concede that any doubts I had about Young are already gone. He fits in as if he's played for us all his life. Young, Nani, Rooney, Cleverley, Anderson, Welbeck... those six played some really good one-touch football. All young defenders arguably did better than the elder counterparts, although it should be said that most of them weren't on for 50 minutes, let alone 90.

Overall, though, cracking game for us. The two goals City scored were both against the overall run of play, and I think we really showed some great play.

De Gea (20), Anders Lindegaard (27), Ben Amos (21), Rafael (21), Smalling (21), Jones (19), Fabio (21), Evans (23), Cleverley (21), Young (26), Valencia (26), Nani (24), Fletcher (27), Anderson (23), Welbeck (20), Rooney (25), Chicharito (23), Mame Biram Diouf (23), Frederico Macheda (19).

Whoever takes over from SAF, assuming he doesn't manage forever and ever and ever, is going to have a lot of things ready for them. To think that if you take away about five of our oldest players you'll still have all of the above... not bad!

I have a distinct feeling that this will be a high scoring year in the EPL. Each and every team seems like they're loaded offensively with defense taking a back seat. Not that I'm complaining, there's nothing less inspiring then a nil-nil draw in which neither team really takes any chances. Maybe that's just my American, always want to see goals bias kicking in.

Take care all.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I don't get how you can win Fantasy Football and get it so wrong, Donal! Liverpool will easily finish above Spurs. It took them until the last couple of games to do it last season, and you have to bear in mind we had a face-rubbing lunatic and an emo spaniard for half of it. I GUARAN-DAMN-TEE we will finish ahead of Spurs. If we do not, I will willingly put on a Harry Redknapp (or Gerry Francis!) avatar for a month afterwards!

Sorry but finishing above Spurs is all I have left in football, okay?

Oh, and Arsenal will win no trophies too. Just 'cause.
    Haha, your probably right too. But your on Paul. I'll put on a Redknapp avatar in recognition if they do manage the feat.

Fantastic game to get the ball rolling for the season. Our second goal is one of the best I've seen from a United side, it was awesome. I was impressed with Cleverly also. I'm not the greatest fan of Carrick, he eternally seems to have a lack of confidence in his play and its almost like he's afraid of making a risky pass in case he looks found out. Cleverly was there and wanted the ball all the time, it was great to see and you were made aware of his presence on the pitch.

As for De Gea, he was definitely in fault for the second goal, but the first was just down to good set piece play. Still, I was there thinking to myself that if Van Der Sar were playing out there today the score would be nil all at half time. He's only 20 and playing in front of a massive crowd in his first cap for Man U, so its obviously forgivable. It's funny though, because he is Spanish he seems to have an automatic gift of distributing the ball fantastically by the looks of it.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I enjoyed the Community Shield match, I thought United were pretty poor in the first half, but they started the second in the best possible way. Most definitely a game of two halves. The punters in the pub I was in all seemed to think that had Utd lost that match, there would have been more criticism of De Gea than was the case. I don't think he covered himself in glory in that match, but hey, it's early days yet. I'm going to reserve judgement for the time being, but I don't think that that start will boost his confidence.

News has just come through that our opening match against Spurs has been postponed because of the situation in London. No news as of yet re: the other nine matches. BBC Sport - Tottenham v Everton match postponed after London riots
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I enjoyed the Community Shield match, I thought United were pretty poor in the first half
    We had something like 70% possession in that half, so unless you're either summarising 45 minutes by two goals scored against the run of play or are pointing out that our strikers sucked, I'm not sure where that's come from.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I enjoyed the Community Shield match, I thought United were pretty poor in the first half
    We had something like 70% possession in that half, so unless you're either summarising 45 minutes by two goals scored against the run of play or are pointing out that our strikers sucked, I'm not sure where that's come from.
    Mainly that your strikers sucked, to be honest. Perhaps I'm looking back at the first half by comparison to the second too.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles

Real Madrid vs 109 Children.

This is the best thing. I want it to be a mode in the new PES/FIFA.

Anyway, with Enrique on board, it looks like we have a fairly decent squad. Just one more piece of the puzzle to go: A CB. Been linked with Dann, Cahill and Shawcross. I wouldn't mind either of the first two. Would be a bit about Shawcross. United had an option to buy him back and invested in Smalling and Jones instead, which kind of tells its own story.

I still miss Xabi Alonso.

I am happy we finally got a decent LB. I too would love to pick up one more CB and if at all possible maybe another striker just for coverage.

Predictions:

1. Man Utd (The last season I think they'll win the title for a few years, unless they add to the midfield)
    2. Man City (So much talent, but just not enough heart... yet)
    3. Liverpool (I really think no European football will help them focus much better against the lesser teams, which has been their biggest issue the last few years)
    4. Chelsea (Torres hurt already and I'm just not sold on this team like in years passed)
    5. Arsenal (I firmly believe Cesc and Nasri will be gone by January. Will they buy actual replacements?)
    6. Spurs (Didn't buy a striker yet and really, really need to.)

FA Cup: Liverpool
    League Cup: Man City
    Champions League: Barcelona (Still think they're the best team).

Relegated: Blackburn, Newcastle, Swansea

The season can't start fast enough!

Take care all.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I still miss Xabi Alonso.
    Was thinking of posting the exact same thing. I remember when he was sold, Donal said something like "Good player but probably not worth £30m". You were right, he was worth double that in lost Champions League qualification money alone! I would say he was the best Liverpool player of the Benitez era, surpassing even Gerrard and Torres, and the wheels came off when we sold him.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Did I? xD I actually always admired him as a player. Jose Enrique is a terrific signing for Liverpool - really underrated player. He is causing much unrest in my fantasy football team, the little fecker. Does anybody think he will start tomorrow at Sundarland?

Who knows, with Cesc going, maybe Arsenal will push forward. No more people wanting to leave (maybe apart from Nasri), so no more unrest in the camp.

Articles

Ahhhh that's my Liverpool. First half, full on smashing the door down, playing at 100mph and probably should've had 3 or 4. We'll get the second in the second half lads, no worries... doo dee doo... ahhhhh no worries we'll win, just take the foot off the gas boys... oh. Oh. Uh. Ok. We can still win this. Uh. Well. Uh. CHUCK LONG BALLS TO ANDY CARROLL THIS INSTANT!!!! I think I stand by my 5th place prediction.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

So Joey Barton is the footballing equivalent of an internet troll, Gervinho is foolish and Robbie Savage is in dire need of a punch in the face.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"