View Poll Results: Who will win the league this season?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man Utd

8 50.00%
  • Chelsea

3 18.75%
  • Man City

2 12.50%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Liverpool

2 12.50%
  • Swansea

1 6.25%
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151929 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 English Football Season and STEWART DOWNING WHAT ON EARTH Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ah, leave Robbie alone. I like 'im. I don't know what he's like as a commentator, but as a bloke on a sofa on Soccer A.M. (or whatever) he was always one of the most entertaining guys you could come across.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

With Cesc out the door, I really don't like the look of Arsenal. They seemed very disjointed and frankly, lacking the connective passing that we've come to expect from them. Ripe for the picking perhaps?

As for Liverpool, that first 45 was wonderful to watch, as they looked dangerous every single time they had possession. I think Adam was a great signing as for the first time since Xabi Alonso left we have someone who can QB from deep. I also thought Enrique and Downing looked lively. The second 45, not so much. It was quite nice to realize that we actually have quality on the bench as both Raul and Dirk came on, but I too would have liked for more one touch passing and less kick the ball high to Andy Carroll. Once Gerrard gets healthy and in to the lineup, in Henderson's place most likely, as well as Glen Johnson or Martin Kelly on the right I think we may have one of the most balanced lineups in the league, which is something I never could have said last year.

All in all, a decent start, and much more lively football to come I hope! We may be getting Arsenal at just the right time as well.

Take care all.

felt that the opening weekend (of the premier league) was a bit dull tbh. the bolton game was a good watch, other than that it all felt a bit 'meh.'

as a toon fan, glad that we picked up a point (amongst other things, Joey) but we didn't play well. give the new boys a chance to click and a new striker and i think we'll do alright.
    my hometown team, wycombe are looking a bit shaky, but two draws out of two games is alright i guess. we are the perrennial 'yo-yo' team of the lower divisions.
    glad to have the footy back. in all honesty, the title looks set to return to manchester (united) yet again but i'm willing it with everything i have that it doesn't. hate man boo. would rather see...anyone win the league, other than united. or blunderland.

So long Cesc, your (and our) long national nightmare is finally over. I continue to believe this is the year Arsenal finish outside the Top 4.

Take care all.

Blog Entries

Mildly disappointing to witness the glory of the England cricket team over the past few weeks, followed by a return of the ridiculous drama of playacting and referee-harrassment as seen in the Newcastle game over the weekend, along with the media sensationalism that came with it. Yep, the football season's started all right!

In other news, the beers are in the fridge, the shirt is washed, the phone's off the hook and the tissues are on the armchair in preperation for tonight. I'm ready.

there was a picture here

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    In other news, the beers are in the fridge, the shirt is washed, the phone's off the hook and the tissues are on the armchair in preperation for tonight. I'm ready.
    Aww.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Awww baby's first Prem game :3 :3 :3 (football began in 1992)

I think Fabregas leaving will be a boost for Arsenal. Although I think I've posted that before.

In other news, I am excited about the prospect of United having a tit keeper. It's Taibi all over again! Also also, I am excited about the prospect of having a United player I genuinely hate again. Step forward Ashley Young. What a little bitch.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think losing both Fabregas and Nasri will be a blow to Arsenal. If they had kept one or the other, they'd be fine. When they lose both, there's a big problem.

I don't think we've got a tit keeper just yet - he made some proper good saves that nobody would have criticised him for not saving had they gone in. It's early days and we'll have to see how things go. But it's definitely a concern. You could see the sympathy all over SAF's face when he said "I think he's lost a bit of concentration there, but welcome to English football because he took a battering in the second half." I still think he'll come good, though. But for this season in particular, it'll be a big concern. He needs to bulk up a lot to compete with the big defenders coming in for crosses, and he needs to learn how to fall quickly towards low shots. But he's proven himself on the big stage already so I don't see why he can't adapt to such things. If worse comes to worst, we have Lindegaard, who is promising, not to mention Amos (and at the moment, we still have Tomasz, although I doubt for long).

On the bright side, apparently one Peter Schmeichel had an absolute horrid time in his first game, too. Phew.

Why do you hate Young, out of curiosity?

Articles

He's a diving whinging little bag who reminds me of a young C. Ronaldo. I appreciate all teams have players that do this including LFC (Ask me whether I admire Stevie G or Dirk Kuyt more and Dirk will walk it every time) and it's not a localised Ashley Young problem. Don't care. He's now my panto villain.

Also, I hope De Gea comes good in the same way Roy Caroll did. Although I didn't say he is trout, but rather that there's the prospect of him being trout.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Fair play. Rooney has been known to dive, btw. I don't know if Young does it more often than Rooney or not, but if he does, hopefully it'll be stamped out a bit while with us. Oh well.

Also, in other news, John Obi Mikel is told his father has been kidnapped on Friday and insists on playing anyway. Bloody hell.

Blog Entries

hopefully it'll be stamped out a bit while with us

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I dunno, we don't dive as much as we used to. But then I guess I am remembering the times that Ronaldo was with us...

Articles

Nani bawled his eyes out and started trying to slap ambulance men after Carra learned him last season. Enough said. Just clone Chicharito and replace your entire team with him imho.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Wait, was that the occasion that Carragher should have been sent off and Nani was bleeding from his shins? Yes, he overreacted and was a big crybaby over it. But that was not diving - it was a two footed studs-up challenge that directly connected with Nani's legs.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. Nani is a diver but that was a very bad example you gave.

Articles

Why should anybody be sent off for wasting Nani? It's like the people who claimed Joey Barton should've been sent off for learning Gervinho. I just don't get football fans sometimes.

ps: actually I only brought it up because of this Surreal Football (sorry Manus) article. It worked!