View Poll Results: Who will win the league this season?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man Utd

8 50.00%
  • Chelsea

3 18.75%
  • Man City

2 12.50%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Liverpool

2 12.50%
  • Swansea

1 6.25%
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 233337383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 English Football Season and STEWART DOWNING WHAT ON EARTH Thread

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Yeah, he was a prat as I recall.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Gutted, personally, as a friend of mine supports them and he sits opposite me at work. Football talk at work is always better when your teams are in the same league.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

It's also better online when your teams are in the same league

there was a picture here

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    It's also better online when your teams are in the same league
    i sincerely look forward to my football team not beating yours at the weekend

Final League Standings Top Half:

Man City - Champions, based on Goal Difference
    Man Utd - Fact that Scholes is still their best midfielder means investment is a must.
    Arsenal - WHAT?! Can't believe they'll finish here.
    Newcastle - Fancy them to win over Everton while Spurs draw with Fulham
    Spurs - Poor Harry, no English team and no CL. Could also see Bale leaving.
    Chelsea - Ugh, they played awful today. Better pick it up in two weeks.
    Liverpool - Expect them to win their last game because it doesn't matter
    Everton - I think Newcastle will beat them and seal their place.
    Fulham - Dempsey is a beast. Team is not.
    West Brom - Farewell Hodge

And Relegated along with Blackburn and Wolves..............QPR, as Man City beats them and somehow, someway, Bolton beats Stoke.

Finally, I think, the home advantage really plays a big part and Munich edge Chelsea on what else, penalties. Damn Germans always win on penalties.

Liverpool thoughts:

Overall, a dreadful year. One cup keeps it from being a total wash but far too little from too many. The days of relying on Gerrard are over clearly, as he will not play a full season. When he's on the field, he is still dynamic but they clearly need to fortify midfield because when he isn't there, they haven't a clue. Some real positives from Carroll late on which make me think he may yet prove a good foil to Suarez, but I would still like to see another Striker, a real poacher, join up, especially since I have no doubt Suarez will get suspended at some point next year too.

I would like to maybe see Glen Johnson made a winger and have Kelly become the full-time back as Johnson has proven he is great going forward and gives more of a threat then Henderson or Maxi or Downing. Also, want to see more of Sterling next year.

Farewell Dirk, farewell Maxi, maybe farewell Bellamy as I think all will be sold or leave. Also, I think next year is Carra's last. Dirk especially will be missed. Loved his hustle, loved his heart. Glad he won at least something for all his service.

As I said before, all the bad luck should swing back a bit next season but unless some real good signings are made, Liverpool will struggle to break the Top 6 again. We may remain tough in Cup competitions, but the League calls for some drastic changes.

Take care all.

This will be only the second time a side has played a European Cup final on their own ground, and the previous one lost (Roma, to Liverpool in the 80s). So I wouldn't say Bayern being at home necessarily brings them an advantage. That and Chelsea are a bunch of jammy, lucky gits

Less than a month now until Euro 2012, thank god.

Blog Entries

How I look forward to the Euro 2012 thread, where we will hopefully have more of Herr Croyles and his German trolling, that Dutch guy whom I forget the name wanting to celebrate coming second, and Cuchulainn just generally being inflammatory.

there was a picture here

Especially if Ireland wind up playing France.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

A friend of mine went to Paris a couple of years ago on holidays & he said several people apologized about what happened. Water off a ducks back really, unless you think your a great lad & down-talk everything french. Nothing to do with the country really.

My starting Liverpool team would be (4,5,1): Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Jose Enrique, Bellamy, Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas, Suarez, Carroll.

I think they need a new defensive midfielder, a playmaker, & a poacher. I'd play Suarez on the wing because he isn't a striker really. I actually think that team would do plenty of damage then.
    Last edited by Rocket Edge; 05-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.

So it's West Ham v Blackpool in the playoff final - the game I wanted really.

Blog Entries

Dobbie nets the first for the Tangerines, he will now have played in three consecutive playoff finals. He scored in last years' one and we will forever be grateful.

there was a picture here

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Same, the final I wanted. I don't mind who wins, although I wouldn't mind Blackpool to do it for comic value.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Don't want West Ham, they have never interested me much. Really want Blackpool, for that sweet Ian Holloway goodness. It's always nice to have a manager say what he thinks and say what he likes. More often than not, it's the things everyone else is wanting to say, too. It's comical on occasion, sure, but the sentiment behind most of his statements is spot on.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I want the team who isn't managed by Sam Allardyce to get promoted. Holloway is amusing but he doesn't half talk rubbish a lot of the time.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    How I look forward to the Euro 2012 thread, where we will hopefully have more of Herr Croyles and his German trolling, that Dutch guy whom I forget the name wanting to celebrate coming second, and Cuchulainn just generally being inflammatory.
    Let's not forget the random Portugese members appearing out of nowhere to post garbled insults after they knock England out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    My starting Liverpool team would be (4,5,1): Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Jose Enrique, Bellamy, Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas, Suarez, Carroll..
    Is that a 4-2-3-1 with Henderson in the central role? I wouldn't be opposed to that I suppose, but I think Suarez would be best in the central role and then Liverpool sign a pair of proper wingers. And by proper I don't mean Stewart Downing

A key and huge part of Liverpool's season and the way it's turned out have been our best two players missing games. Lucas is our best player and here is a fun statistic:

12 games with Lucas 22 points (70pts season pace - 3rd place)
    24 games without Lucas 27 points (43pts season pace - just managing to stave off relegation)

Says a lot really, doesn't it?

And we were of course without Suarez for 8 games, and he has only just started finding form since the ban. The incident clearly messed with the man's head. Regardless of what side you take it is pretty obvious Suarez himself believes he is innocent. It's why he refused to admit guilt and refused to shake Evra's hand. If you were falsely accused of racism and had thousands of people booing and abusing you every weekend for it, it'd mess with your head too. Now, I am not asking for sympathy for poor little Luis, but it is an explanation as to why his form dipped for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Don't want West Ham, they have never interested me much. Really want Blackpool, for that sweet Ian Holloway goodness.
    Yes!

Also good news charliepanayi - Neil Mellor is retiring. You can sleep soundly in your bed now