Thread: Super 8

Default Super 8

Has anyone seen this movie yet? I've looked for a thread and I couldn't find one. Well anyways, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of it!
    Here's my non-spoiler opinion: See it because it has a few laughs and some great special effects. I went and saw it without knowing a thing about it since I'd been in Jamaica for a while, so it made it all the more interesting. Don't expect the new E.T. or anything, because it does not fare as well towards the end.

Spoiler opinion: (SPOILER)It was so obvious that all the effort was put into making this a mystery and thriller. It's about an alien that escapes a derailed train, which they hide for the majority of the movie. Not only that, they first make it seem like the United States Air Force is doing some sneaky and bad things, like setting a fire to evacuate the town and being all hush hush and torturing an old man. It caught my interest but then they never really explained anything! In short, they explained why the old man drove his truck into an oncoming train and his role in the USAF, but it still made no sense by the end. And THEN, the alien is hanging it's captured people upside down and eating them. But when the little protagonist says. "Why don't you just leave cause things get bad but they can get better again" and so the alien is like, "Okay!" and leaves. Alright, cool. I'll remember that, maybe if I get sexually assaulted I can just say, "Things will get better for you. Just leave." and he'll leave! Sounds like a plan.
    So yeah, I felt it didn't deliver in the end, and also seemed messy, like he ran out of time.

Hahahahaha.

I haven't seen or will see this movie. Not because I don't care about it but because I got no money. Abrams didn't strike me as the kind of guy who could successfully write his own movie. The trailers themselves tend to leave me with a familiar thought: "EVENT HORIZON": a movie we watched years ago starring Laurence Fishburne where the advertized trailers left you thinking "This is gonna be awesome" but then the movie left you thinking "huh?"
    Super 8's trailer already kind of left me thinking "huh?" and the more it's hyped, the more I think "Event Horizon". Sad.

Blog Entries

(SPOILER)I thought a better ending would be that the fat kid was gay for the main kid, which was the real reason he was pissed off, I thought it would be that throughout the movie and watching his actions the clues kept piling up. I also agree with the op, it implies the alien couldve left any time he wanted after the break out but decided to chill out and eat some humans (though at first i thought he needed humans to build his space ship or something). And a few scenes here and there also irritated me. For example why did they drive that truck full of the spaceship cubes into town? Surely they wouldve returned them to base. And the scene where the dad dressed as a soldier walks up to the other dad who is being held by soldiers and says "The colonel needs to see him" theyre all "ok whatever", no ID check or anything.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

(SPOILER)the car surviving the train wreck unscratched

otherwise a good movie. 7.x/10

Maybe it was just my theater but there was a streak of blue light that was cast over EVERYTHING throughout the movie. Was soooo annoying. Also too many stupid, retarded things happen in this movie that overall it's just a well-acted movie with a terrible storyline. Usually I don't even criticize a movie for a bad storyline if it does everything else well but this had a pointless story.

Such as stupid movie.

(SPOILER)One of the biggest things that pisses me off about it is that the solution to the big alien eating everyone is that they kindly tell it to go home. wtf

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
    Maybe it was just my theater but there was a streak of blue light that was cast over EVERYTHING throughout the movie. Was soooo annoying.
    It wasnt just your cinema, I noticed the ridiculus lens flare as well
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like the movie and I liked the ending.

(SPOILER)The monster was able to transfer emotions to and from the kid, who had felt a lot of pain and sorrow and anger in the past few months, and by them knowing each other's pain, the kid was able to tell the monster earnestly and genuinely, symbolically letting the monster of anger and sorrow leave "peacefully."

Remember, monsters are always symboliv of something. In this case, it was the protagonist's anger and sorrow at his mother's death. By feeling the monster's pain, and it feeling his, the monster understood the kid's feeling of pain and sorrow.

"Bad things happen and it's nobody's fault, but you can still live" is a realization he makes himself. The real conflict is his pain, not the monster, imo. They're just resolved the same way.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

(SPOILER)Remember that the entire story about the alien doesn't matter from the context of the meaning of the movie - this should be viewed as nothing more than a story about five people, mostly from two families, learning how to deal with a tragic accident.

viewed from said above nonsense, the movie is great.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    (SPOILER)Remember that the entire story about the alien doesn't matter from the context of the meaning of the movie - this should be viewed as nothing more than a story about five people, mostly from two families, learning how to deal with a tragic accident.

viewed from said above nonsense, the movie is great.
    Exactly! Remember, monsters are supposed to be symbolic of something!

Superficial symbolism is just that. It isn't meaningful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

But it's very meaningful. It gives a reflection on the major conflict of the film.

It's a coming-of-age film first, monster film second.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
    Maybe it was just my theater but there was a streak of blue light that was cast over EVERYTHING throughout the movie. Was soooo annoying.
    It wasnt just your cinema, I noticed the ridiculus lens flare as well
    Yep. This is just some stupid added effect that's supposed to make it look vintage or whatever.

The fat kid was totally hot for the main kid!
    (SPOILER)They should've made it so the main kid like connected with the alien but then some army dudes came in and killed it. Then the kid would've been crying like "He wasn't bad!" but he's dead and everyone feels the effects of killing something evil but innocent.