Thread: Worst Final Dungeon

Post Worst Final Dungeon

This game has the worst "Last Level" in the history of gamin' in my opinion.

Sky Fortress Bahamut blows, you're in there for about 10 minutes,
    before facin' Vayne (Worst Last Boss Ever) honestly,
    facing Solidus n MGS2 (Which also blows, in every way possible)
    was better than Vayne.

Compared to the Lunar Base, The Void, Kefka's Tower, The Northern Crater,
    Ulti's Castle, Pandemonium and The INSIDE of Sin,

It sucked. Yes I am a FFXII hater, but I don't mean to annoy.
    But come on, game sucks tenfold. Just like XIII. Damn Enix.

Blog Entries

Yes it was pretty short and easy...but because of the stuff that started happening it became pretty epic for me.
    Besides you already went through 2 hell of a dungeons anyway (Great Chrystal, Pharos). I was actually glad that I had no more painful dungeons like those and could take it easy and enjoy the story (which started to get really epic at this point).

Oh come on, don't be so negative. The game has a lot more things to like than to hate. There's the battle system, the exotic world for you to explore, tons of equipment, serious slow paced story, Balthier etc etc
    Last edited by Remon; 06-24-2011 at 05:48 PM.

I'll give you Balthier, and the Monsters (Yiazmat, Zodiark and Gilgamesh)
    But the game gets kind of whatever as soon as I reach Phon Coast.

A final dungeon should be filled to the rim with over powerful enemies,
    not Vayne with some wings floatin' about like an idiot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You get the Pharos for that. It's so awesome it makes the Bahamut's shortness obsolete.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm with Remon here, after the Pharos and Giruvegan/Crystal, I was pretty damn happy to not have a another 5 hour dungeon to travel through.

I actually hated Sin's dungeon, cause most of it made little sense... I'm walking through a foggy area, now I'm in a weird mechanical place that's like a maze, now I'm collecting crystals for no goddamn good reason, now I'm listening to Tidus whine like a little bitch to Jecht, fight the Final Aeon, but I have Anima and Legendary weapons so he literally goes down in two attacks, the intro to the fight was longer than the actual battle, have to fight all the Aeons who get 1 hit KO from my party, now I fight Yu-Yevon with my party permanently auto-life, I zombie Yu=Yevon and watch him kill himself, I watch a very boring and overly melodramatic ending where Tidus can't just gently fade away, he has to jump off the airship so he can high five his old man which sucks the drama out of the game. A boring speech from a character follows, and then we get this weird scene of Tidus swimming under water. The End

I'll take a short dungeon with a four part boss fight that lets me get a judge on my side for one part and ends with the boss transforming into a cyborg Bahamut over that Sin crap.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm with Remon here, after the Pharos and Giruvegan/Crystal, I was pretty damn happy to not have a another 5 hour dungeon to travel through.

I actually hated Sin's dungeon, cause most of it made little sense... I'm walking through a foggy area, now I'm in a weird mechanical place that's like a maze, now I'm collecting crystals for no goddamn good reason, now I'm listening to Tidus whine like a little bitch to Jecht, fight the Final Aeon, but I have Anima and Legendary weapons so he literally goes down in two attacks, the intro to the fight was longer than the actual battle, have to fight all the Aeons who get 1 hit KO from my party, now I fight Yu-Yevon with my party permanently auto-life, I zombie Yu=Yevon and watch him kill himself, I watch a very boring and overly melodramatic ending where Tidus can't just gently fade away, he has to jump off the airship so he can high five his old man which sucks the drama out of the game. A boring speech from a character follows, and then we get this weird scene of Tidus swimming under water. The End

I'll take a short dungeon with a four part boss fight that lets me get a judge on my side for one part and ends with the boss transforming into a cyborg Bahamut over that Sin crap.
    I never thought of it that way and I must say, I completely agree with these points. Besides 12 is actually a fantastic game. (with a few annoyances I will give you that) It's not perfect but when you really look at it the game's well designed (EXCLUDING CHARACTER DESIGN)
    I do have some critiques for the game but that's for a different thread.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I kind of like how Bahamut is quite a straightforward structure - I wasn't really in the mood for another puzzle-filled maze at that point. Vayne was an entirely adequate final boss, in my opinion, providing a range of different challenges during the three stages of his fight.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Vayne's in the top five of best final bosses, period. Only final dungeon I didn't care for was Orphan's Craddle.

In all fairness I only completed the game twice, the second AFTER Yiazmat/Omega
    but I just don't see the spark the other final fantasy games had.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Beast View Post
    This game has the worst "Last Level" in the history of gamin' in my opinion.

Sky Fortress Bahamut blows, you're in there for about 10 minutes,
    before facin' Vayne (Worst Last Boss Ever) honestly,
    facing Solidus n MGS2 (Which also blows, in every way possible)
    was better than Vayne.

Compared to the Lunar Base, The Void, Kefka's Tower, The Northern Crater,
    Ulti's Castle, Pandemonium and The INSIDE of Sin,

It sucked. Yes I am a FFXII hater, but I don't mean to annoy.
    But come on, game sucks tenfold. Just like XIII. Damn Enix.
    I agree with you to an extent--the last level is rather easy. This is in part due to the difficult hunts and redonkulously hard dungeons like Giruvegan and Pharos(ESPECIALLY Pharos), as well as the collecting of extra Espers(like Ultima and Zodiark). By the time I got to the final level, I had leveled up so much in order to complete this difficult areas and optional quests that the fight came very easily. I also didn't want the game to end, so I kept stalling until I had finished everything I could before proceeding to the final level. But really, after the high level of difficulty involved with the afforementioned quests, I really didn't mind it being so relaxed(though it did seem out of character for the game, which had been very difficult up to that point). I DEFINATELY perfered this final level to the Sin dungeon thing-a-ma-bob in FFX.

As a fan of this game, I can't agree that it sucks tenfold, but I can see how the last level could be seen as frusterating and dissapointingly easy since the game had sort of established a pattern of hard dungeons and bosses. The ending scenes however I wish had been done better because that was the real dissapointment for me. The ending of such a long game was so short and abrupt--I was hoping they were setting it up for a real sequel, not a little DS chibified adventure. *sigh*

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I agree with you about the final dungeon being way too short. That's why I consider Pharos to be the final dungeon. That place is 100 floors anyway, and beating it felt like a real achievement, so I guess I can live without another even longer 300-floor dungeon. By the way, Chrono Trigger and Cross did pretty much the same thing. CT spoilerBlack Omen and CC spoilerTerra Tower were pretty much the final dungeons in CT and CC, respectively, and the final bosses didn't really have their own, separate dungeons.

As for the worst final dungeon in the series, that title belongs to FFX, IMHO. First you wander in an invisible maze in the middle of nowhere, then there's a ruined city or something (IIRC, that part wasn't too bad, though), and a save point. Then comes what I once named "10 sphere hunt with a camera from hell". The camera rotates very slowly and you can't adjust it, and you have to collect 10 spheres, which you usually can't even see. You also have to dodge crystals that pop out of the ground, but you often can't see them before it's too late, due to the lousy camera. When you've collected all the sphere artifacts, which are quite random and often useless, you find yourself in a new place. It would be a good idea to save now, but unfortunately, you're not allowed to. Then there's an overly melodramatic and long cutscene that you can't even skip. I usually switch TV channels, take a lunch break, go wash my hands or whatnot during that scene since I can't skip it. You still can't save. Instead, you enter the final battle. After that, more drama (blah blah) and a long battle that you can't lose unless you petrify all your characters. You have to summon all your Aeons one by one and watch every summoning and possession scene, and the sequence just drags on forever, especially if you've collected all the Aeons. Each Aeon dies after one hit, so the summoning and possession scenes are longer than the actual battle. Then there's one more battle that you can't lose, and it also takes forever unless a) you cast zombie on the boss, b) you cast reflect on the boss, or c) you have attacks that deal over 9999 damage. Bleh. I actually liked the ending, but the final dungeon and final battles before that were a total mess, in my opinion.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi