Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Albums

Banned
    Blog Entries

I know some consider him a hack and so forth, but I've always maintained that Marilyn Manson is a master of live performances. 'The Last Tour on Earth' is a prime example of that. Flame if you want.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Judas Priest - Unleashed in The East
    Metallica - S&M
    Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
    Black Sabbath - Live Evil
    Rainbow - On Stage
    Gamma Ray - Hell Yeah! The Awesome Foursome (And the Finnish Keyboardist who refused to wear his Donald Duck Costume)

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I adore live albums BECAUSE they're so honest. There's no slick mixing or editing, it's just the artists, the venue and the crowd. It truly shows who can perform and who is just a studio product.

Springsteen's stuff jumps right to mind. Some of the jam band stuff from Phish and DMB is a lot of fun.

Maybe it's because I'm a musician too, but I really don't have as much respect for an artist until I've heard them live, because only then do I know they are as good as they sound on their albums.

Take care all.
    Ding ding ding. The way I look at it, an artist's talents are validated and confirmed by their ability to perform in a live setting. Studio "talents" I certainly understand, but that is judged on a different standard, like how well the set of songs work together and work off each other to form a cohesive whole.

An Evening With John Denver is great. Stan Rogers Home in Halifax is absolutely amazing. There's also a whole list of bootleg concerts I have. For example, the best representation of Phil Ochs's work is in the concert called The FBI Tapes, not in any commercially released work.

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    Three live albums that don't put a foot wrong and show the pure awesomeness of the bands:
    Pink Floyd - P•U•L•S•E
    Foo Fighters - Skin And Bones
    Muse - HAARP
    HAARP is awesome indeed. I have yet to see PULSE which I got for my birthday past friday.

Modest Mouse's Baron Von Bulltrout Rides Again is pretty good. Other than that, I can't think of any live album worth mentioning.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Rush in Rio is pretty amazing, and although it's technically a bootleg cd I like 'Turpentine Kisses' by The Smashing Pumpkins, mostly because it's done over two days and it's interesting to hear the differences and what not.

I suppose Deep Purple's 'Made in Japan' needs a mention as well, even though I haven't sat down and listened to it in ages.