Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: google+

Articles
    Blog Entries

Can anyone tell me if this is going to have a band/music page feature, and the equivalent of events and stuff?

Well I started using it...I don't see anything about bands or music pages you can "like", but there are things called "Sparks" that you can subscribe to and when you click on it, it'll post some pages/sites about the topic. For example, I added "Final Fantasy" and "Game of Thrones" to my Sparks. So now when I click on each of those, it'll take me to a page with a bunch of other sites talking about FF or GoT. Not sure if I'm explaining it well.....

I don't have enough friends using it so it's pretty uneventful right now. As far as something similar to FB events, I transitioned over from using FB events to using GCal and sending out events through there. I pretty much use Google Calendar now for everything and have it synced to my smartphone so I always know what's coming up and what I have to do.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I have an account and I'm just going to sit on it until everybody who needs to add me adds me. Then I'll just keep using fb until it becomes a deserted hellhole.

I want google+ to have custom display pictures depending on 'circle' (or social grouping) - but right now it's one DP for everybody (quotes out of context ftw) - that's going to drive me crazy.

As far as I can tell it's just facebook but with a different metaphor. That's boring. It also looks like it's based on fb code too.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really like the sparks thing.

A lot.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

the pic upload seems to be better than facebooks, but then again, I always had to use the old pic uploader

social networking real talk

(-o-)

-tie fighter

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The main reason I don't want Google+ to succeed is because it would not only mean having to re-add all my old friends (and this would take months if not years given that so many people have taken so long to get Facebook as it is) but it would also mean having to re-add photos, hope that my friends also re-add photos that I liked, and then re-tag all those photos. And then there are the lost messages between me and my friends that would end up left behind. Amongst other things.

The people who constantly switch from social network site to social network site must be the same people who change emails all the time. All they do is make things difficult for everyone else when it comes to keeping in touch with them. Which is ironic, because that's actually what social networking sites are all about.

Facebook won't die "because MySpace was popular and it died." MySpace had horrific problems, mostly surrounding load times and the severe customisation that was allowed to users that ended up causing untold amounts of errors and subsequent further problems with loadtimes. MySpace basically cocked up. Facebook hasn't really done that yet, so I'm holding out hope that it will pull ahead at the end of this. Not because I think Facebook is amazing, but because the number one thing I want in a social networking site is consistency... basically, to not have to change to another social networking site just to keep up with my friends all the time.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I agree, I don't like the idea of everyone switching over and then having to re-add everyone again as well as pictures. I kind of wish there was some sort of "import" function that would bring everything over from facebook haha. BUT, I do kind of like the feeling of starting fresh and only adding close friends. I feel like there's so much old junk and pictures from my fb that this will feel like a social network cleansing.

Sorry for posting twice in a row...but I just noticed an interesting feature. Apparently your profile pictures are in a Picasa web album, and if you have more than one photo in there then every time you click on the profile pic, it cycles through the photos in that profile picture album. Thought that was kinda neat.

Also, if anyone wants an invite, let me know? I'm still trying to get this all figured out, but maybe I can make a "Eyes on Final Fantasy" circle and send out invites through there?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The people who constantly switch from social network site to social network site must be the same people who change emails all the time.
    Er... huh? EVERYONE switched from Friendster to MySpace and then MySpace to Facebook. Sure, some people held out and bypassed the MySpace all together and leaped straight from Friendster to Facebook. It's sort of like the bar/club scene: a new bar opens, people visit it and say "gee, this place is way cooler than my usual bar" and start going to the new bar exclusively, and then hear about a hipper bar that everyone else is going to and visit that one and say "gee, this even newer place is way more awesome than..." and so on. It's silly, but it's what happens.

Three friends have been like: OH! I'll send you an invite! What's your gmail? And I give it to them and haven't gotten my invite! :/

Well, the whole invitation thing is weird. I think you have to make a post and then share it with people. It should then send an email of the post you made to the people who don't have Google+ yet...I think...

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Interestingly enough, there have been a few reports of spam on Google+ despite the fact that it has only been public for less than a week. I wonder what the future holds for it? Will Google be able to curb spam more efficiently than Facebook?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    words

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do you really want Google to have access to even more of your personal information?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes