Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoiler-free missable/unique items listing

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Spoiler-free missable/unique items listing

I'm starting the game again and after selling off my Blood Swords in FFII without realising how good they were, I am looking for a list of things I really shouldn't miss and, if unique, things that look useless that are actually really really useful. Now, I've played through a bunch of FFVI before and remember a fair chunk of major events, but to be on the safe side I'd rather the list be spoiler-free if possible.

Can anyone help? For what it's worth, if there are multiple versions, I'm playing the one you can download from the Playstation Store (PSN). At the moment I've just arrived in South Figaro, so hopefully there wasn't anything too important that I've already passed by.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Are you talking about just weapons and items or anything that can be missed, like spells and rages?

Pretty sure you can miss Mog's Water dance if you (SPOILER)wait until the WoR.
    Last edited by BG-57; 07-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Anything you can think of! I'm not sure what is important/valuable/worth the effort, you see. If it's a pointless thing, obviously I don't care about missing it. But anything that is useful but missable is what I'm interested in.

Contributions

Okay, I'll see what I can find.

And I made the same mistake about Blood Swords.

Blog Entries

The imp equipment can be useful when used on an imp but other than that i think if something is useful it will be obvious.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

i agree a spoiler free missable items guide would be ace. but if there was also a spoiler ridden one, for those who don't mind spoilers and like every little detail, that would also be ace.

Contributions

I'll add spoiler tags in the explanations of when and where things are triggered.

I double checked and Mog learns dances when in a particular battle background environment. The only underwater environment is the Serpent Trench which (SPOILER)goes above ground in the WoR, so you have to have Mog ride in it to learn Water Rondo.

You can permenantly lose Shadow if you (SPOILER)don't wait for him after running to the edge of the Floating Continent.

You can't lose Mog if you (SPOILER)chose the saving Lone Wolf over him, but he reappears so late in the game you won't be able to get all the dances. By saving Mog, you won't get a reward the Golden Hairpin, but you may be able to get it somewhere else, like in the Coloseum. I'll look into it.

bover_87 has a missable/rare item guide on gamefaqs.com, but it's found under the FFVI section under SNES, where understandably, it's refered to as 'FFIII'.
    Last edited by BG-57; 07-07-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm going to have to spoil the game for myself to keep Shadow, huh?

Contributions

How about if I said when the game suggests it's a good idea to wait for him, you should?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've seen him in South Figaro, but he didn't really want to talk. Just say "when you meet Shadow and he _____, don't let him join you!" or something.

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    I double checked and Mog learns dances when in a particular battle background environment. The only underwater environment is the Serpent Trench which (SPOILER)goes above ground in the WoR, so you have to have Mog ride in it to learn Water Rondo.
    I believe you can also go through the Lethe river if you missed it during the Serpent Trench, but you have to go through there before going through the (SPOILER)Floating Continent sequence.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This whole spoiler free crap is not working out how I had hoped. xD

Example of a spoiler-free missable items list: GameFAQs: Final Fantasy VII (PS) Miss-able Items FAQ by mira

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

VI kind of goes more the FFIX route where there are few missable items but instead, you miss out on the chance to get an item earlier than you would normally get it. There are some permanent missable items though.

For the most part, you can get most of the games items by going through the Coliseum, but that can be painful and often times, the items are weaker than stuff you will find normally, for instance, you can get items like the Rune Blade through the Coliseum but the weapon will be pathetically weak compared to items you can buy in stores, so often I feel missing these items or close to being counted as missable cause their value diminishes. So I'll list where some of the easier items are.

World of Balance Missable Items:

Gauntlets*- Returner's Hideout
    Ribbon - South Figaro (Locke Scenario)
    RuneBlade* - Narshe Mines (Terra Scenario)
    Titinibar(sp?) - Mobliz (Sabin's Scenario)
    Chain Saw - Zozo
    StoneBlade - Magitek Factory
    Gold Hairpin - Narshe (Choose Mog)
    Mog (Character) - Narshe (Choose the Gold Hairpin)
    Water Rondo Dance - Serpent Trench (Fail to recruit Mog)
    Atma Weapon** - Sealed Gate Cave
    Assassin Knife - Sealed Gate Cave
    Tempest - Sealed Gate Cave
    Coin Toss - Sealed Gate Cave
    Gale Hairpin - Imperial Palace
    Charm Bangle*** - Imperial Palace
    Tintinibar*** - Imperial Palace
    Locked room treasure*** - Imperial Outpost
    Memento Ring - Thamasa
    Tabby Suit - Esper Cave
    Chocobo Suit - Esper Cave
    Healing Rod - Esper Cave
    Murasame - Floating Continent
    Hardened - Floating Continent
    Shadow (Character) - Floating Continent

* If you miss this item, you can't get it until the WoR
    ** There is a second one, that can be stolen from the third tier of the Final boss fight
    *** Requires you to get a perfect score at the Imperial Banquet

Also, it should be noted that the items in the Narshe Mines, South Figaro Cave, and South Figaro can actually be upgraded by waiting until the WoR to acquire them.

World of Ruin Missable Items:

Blood Sword - Tzen (One time Scenario)
    Healing Rod - Tzen (One time Scenario)
    Healing Rod - Tzen (One time Scenario)
    Soul Sabre - Figaro Castle Basement
    Royal Crown - Figaro Castle Basement
    Czarina Gown - Daryl's Tomb
    Exp. Egg - Daryl's Tomb
    Dragon Claws - Daryl's Tomb
    Genji Helmet - Daryl's Tomb
    Ragnarok Sword - Narshe (Choose the Magicite)
    Ragnarok Magicite - Narshe (Choose the Sword)
    Moogle Charm - Narshe Caves
    Fenrir Magicite - Mobliz (Don't use Vanish/Instant Death trick on Phumbaba)
    Bahamut Magicite - World Map (Airship) (Don't use Vanish/ Instant Death trick on Doomgaze)

At this point, it gets tricky to mention what is missable cause while there are no more one time events in the game, sometimes you can't get to certain places without certain characters. For instance, you lose out of all the items in the Phoenix Cave and Narshe if you fail to recruit Locke into your party again. Also, each of the optional Dragon bosses holds a powerful key item but obviously you need to beat them to get it. Also, you can acquire some items you may have missed by either utilizing the Coliseum or using the Ragnarok Summon to Morph enemies into items.

Missable Locations/ Events

Duncan's House (WoB, before recruiting Sabin) - No items worth mentioning but extra story scene with Edgar.

Returner's Hideout - Have Terra say NO to Banon three times, you get a bit more dialogue and a different item.

Cave on Veldt (Veldt, Sabin Scenario) - Explore the edges of the dungeon to unlock some additional antics between Sabin, Cyan and Gau

Figaro Castle - Bring Sabin and Edgar to the castle, for an event.

Kohligen, Jidoor, and Thamasa - Have Shadow in your party and sleep in the inn. Happens randomly so try multiple times

Crazy Old Man's House - Bring Gau to the house, can be done in either section of the game, but you get more dialogue with more characters so wait til WoR when you've recruited everybody.

Eccentric Old Man's House (WoB, North of Kohligen) - Obtain a Hero Ring and talk to him.

Imperial Capital (Bar, before going to the Magitek Research Facitlity) - Learn Kefka's Backstory.

Blackjack (After the Imperial Banquet, before going to Albrook) - Minor backstory and foreshadowing for Setzer and Cid

Thamasa - Search the whole town before speaking to the old man who knows about monsters, to see some extra, funny events.

Thamasa - Return with Strago and Relm in your party before going to the Floating Continent, to meet an NPC who plays a role in a sidequest later.

Floating Continent - Bring a party of 3, don't bring Celes. You'll recruit a fourth character at the entrance and Celes will show up later anyway, this will make the last part of the dungeon much easier.

Other things to keep in mind in the WoR:

Eventually go back to Solitary Island and play on the beach...

Let Cyan take a nap in his old home, and bring Terra along for fun...

Let the Zone Eater have his way...

There are some weird trees not far from Narshe, maybe you should check it out with Sabin...

Let Strago and Relm check back at home sometime...

Play with the Submarine Castle, and bring Terra with you...

Hope that helps, I'm probably forgetting some stuff though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You legend. :<3:

This is possibly worth putting up on the frontsite, you know.

EDIT: Is there any advantage to doing the various quests in a certain order? This is the Sabin/Terra/Locke quests immediately after the returners hideout escape / fight with Ultros.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

You might find this useful as well: Figaro Castle - Final Fantasy VI: Enemy Equpiment Guide
    Figaro Castle