Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Marilyn Manson

Okay so recently I've become an absolute nut about Marilyn Manson. It actually started when I was studying the Columbine massacre and, inevitably, their impact (or absolute lack of impact) on the shootings had to be evaluated as he was a main scapegoat for the shootings as far as popular culture was concerned. I was listening to his music and I realised it was some really good tit, but only recently have I really been getting into it

So rather than namedropping them and hoping discussion will branch off of that, I'll just make a thread here! It's also in anticipation for his new release, to which a teaser has already been released. I also intend to see him when he tours which will be awesome. So are there any other fans on here I can talk to? Favourite albums? Anybody ever seen them live? TALK TO ME.

Edit: In terms of fanboyism, the worship only really extends to Holy Wood and all albums prior. After that I gradually become less enthused, but it's still all good.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love Manson! He actually put on a pretty incredible performance when I saw him during his Eat Me, Drink Me tour, which I wasn't really expecting.

I agree about Holy Wood and before, but there are some later songs like Heart-Shaped Glasses and Armageddon that I looove.

He's an idiot for smurfing things up with Dita, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

His voice could blow the wool off of sheep when he wants it too (at least back in the days when I was semi listening to him, not sure if he's still got it).

Never really got into him too much, but he's a super smart guy and some of his music is pretty awesome.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I love Manson! He actually put on a pretty incredible performance when I saw him during his Eat Me, Drink Me tour, which I wasn't really expecting.

I agree about Holy Wood and before, but there are some later songs like Heart-Shaped Glasses and Armageddon that I looove.

He's an idiot for smurfing things up with Dita, though.
    I'm jelly. And yeah, he's put out some brilliant singles since (mOBSCENE, Putting Holes in Happiness and We're From America being my highlights) but they seem to struggle with composing an entire album of that quality. Also, I can't begin to tell you how much I want Dita Von Teese in my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    His voice could blow the wool off of sheep when he wants it too (at least back in the days when I was semi listening to him, not sure if he's still got it).

Never really got into him too much, but he's a super smart guy and some of his music is pretty awesome.
    Listening to Antichrist Superstar (the song) and I Don't Like The Drugs from 'The Last Tour on Earth' live album is proof enough that vocally he was a beast. Unfortunately that seems to be a voice which is deteriorating due to a number of factors, mostly his age and drug use. Watching his set at Download 2009 makes me sad. And yeah, he really is perceptive and thoughtful. I love how he draws strong influence from Nietzsche and uses that in his work.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I have his (auto?) biography - Neil Strauss wrote it in any case. The person is very interesting and eloquent, though one of the criticisms I can't escape from is that he's a little immature (though I'm not sure where that comes from)

I like his response to columbine massacre. Though I also cannot escape from Socr...Plato's critique that artisans should not promote unjust things or non-virtue as virtues.

Specifically MM music is enjoyable sleepy time

Blog Entries

He has yet to collaborate with Björk. I have heard him sing her praises so many times, and a collaboration would be... interesting.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    He has yet to collaborate with Björk. I have heard him sing her praises so many times, and a collaboration would be... interesting.
    the affection probably goes only one way. Sad this is the case.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    I have his (auto?) biography - Neil Strauss wrote it in any case. The person is very interesting and eloquent, though one of the criticisms I can't escape from is that he's a little immature (though I'm not sure where that comes from)

I like his response to columbine massacre. Though I also cannot escape from Socr...Plato's critique that artisans should not promote unjust things or non-virtue as virtues.

Specifically MM music is enjoyable sleepy time
    His biography was fantastic, though some of it was ... I don't want to say fabricated, so sensationalised. Back then Marilyn Manson was very much just a persona, so I feel it was written to give an account of Warner's life, but in a way that valued the Manson-esque horror over accurate detail. Nowadays Manson and Warner are one-and-the-same which makes for a more eccentric human at the expense of a more human character, if that makes sense. You wouldn't see albums written from a personal perspective like Eat Me, Drink Me back in the 90's from Manson. For this reason, I think it would be interesting to get another book detailing TGAOG days to current.

Edit: Shorty, I just clicked your link and I love the costume! I intend to dress up proper when I go to see him in the near future which will be ... interesting. Might copy the mechanical animals aesthetic if I'm really into it and whiten my face to the extreme and do the mask thing around the eyes like him when he was Omega on the album cover. Will probably skip the prosthetic breasts though, and I'll probably wear clothes.

probably.
    Last edited by demondude; 07-06-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

dawww thanks n_n It looked a little cooler in person. A lot of people in line had MM painted on their foreheads or cheeks or something.

You should do the contact thing, too!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I saw his Halloween show in 2000 while he toured for Holy Wood, saw him play Ozzfest in 2001, and then saw him play for GAoG in Korea. My favorite album is probably Mechanical Albums. It just seems like MM meets Pink Floyds to me. PoaAF is my second favorite. I like his pre-star punk meets rave meets rock while on acid young style a lot. The whole album of Antichrist Superstar is a theory of Nietzsche, going from a boy to a rock star to killing the previous god and becoming one himself to the end where he's begging someone to kill him and become the new god themselves.

Where's Leeza? She'd be all over this thread.

Anyway, I've never really listened that much to his music other than the singles, but I don't dislike him. Always thought he seemed like a cool guy. He seems really smart, interesting and down-to-earth as a person. And really nice as well. He's also a talented painter. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like him as a person and painter more than a musician - but his music is not bad.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bumpity.

New album will be called Born Villain. The trailer was made in collaboration with Shia Labeouf, who seems to be filling the hole in Manson's life that Dita left. I won't question that. Anyway it's smurfing deliciously weird and cinephiles will love it because from what I've read, the whole thing is mostly a bunch of references to other movies. I'm undecided whether I like the track, but I can tell that this era is looking to be a lot more interesting than anything since The Golden Age of Grotesque. I hope so.

Oh god I feel like Supermillionaire reporting on the latest crisis. Just smurfing watch and humour me. I'll label this clear so if anyone is at work or is easily offended and clicks on it, well, they're a smurfing idiot and deserve to get banned instead of me.

--NSFW--

(SPOILER)Born Villain
    Last edited by demondude; 09-02-2011 at 11:25 PM.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

In high school I refused to go anywhere near him being a devout, born again christian and all.

But years later, 2005 ish, I absolutely fell in love with his music. That is, everything up until The Golden Age of Grotesque. That entire album, and everything else he's released since Holywood, has been absolute garbage.

But all the stuff before that is pretty great.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

He exploits Christianity, so I can't really endorse his work.

IMO, he isn't as good as other artists I shouldn't express my appreciation for.
    (SPOILER)NIN to name one

But he's a great artist, and he collaborates with great artists. Aside from the sacrelige, I think he left a generally positive mark on the music industry.

Although rock is pretty much dead.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr View Post

Although rock is pretty much dead.
    That's my favourite song too.