Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth getting Vagrant Story: yes/no?

Default Is it worth getting Vagrant Story: yes/no?

I remember playing this game when I was a kid and got completely owned by it. Traumatized by some giant Golem I just couldn't beat and seemingly endless backtracking I gave up. Maybe I didn't understand the battle system back then? Or missed some vital info on items or abilities? Either way, I do admit I was intrigued by the setting. Can't really remember the story, but I think back then I was too young to fully understand ye olde English.

Anyway, what's holding me back? Even though the game is only €5, without a credit card I need to buy a PSN card of €20 to get it (note that my purchases on PSN are extremely rare).

So the question is; will I get one of them €20 PSN cards and enjoy Vagrant Story, or will I be traumatized by some pixelated Golem once again?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's well worth playing imho. Vagrant Story was rated as one of THE best PSX games in history. I still have my copy on disc and like to pop it in my laptop to play on my emulator now and then (my psx memory card being well and truly dead and them being impossible to replace these days) the reason you probably got owned is because frankly this game is god damn hard. There is no shame in admitting I got owned by it and still do. The item synthesis system is perhaps one of the more complex ones out there from it's era in terms of gaming mechanics and there was little to no explanation in the game as to how to go about getting it right. However the game is still one of the best written and most enjoyable if frustratingly difficult in sections Square games I have ever had the pleasure of playing and still playing to this day.

Will you lose out by buying a 20 euro card for the PSN to purchase this? No, though the game is only 5 euros and it'd be a lot more convenient for you to pay just the 5 on a card I personally don't believe that there is NOTHING else anyone would want from the PSN or XBL when it comes to buying points/psn vouchers. Pretty much all modern gamers play at least one game which has DLC they could live without but wouldn't mind owning. I feel this way about Call of Duty Black Ops, sure when playing with my friends its fine playing on the normal core game maps but I wouldn't mind owning the map packs so that they could show me around the newer maps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    It's well worth playing imho. Vagrant Story was rated as one of THE best PSX games in history. I still have my copy on disc and like to pop it in my laptop to play on my emulator now and then (my psx memory card being well and truly dead and them being impossible to replace these days) the reason you probably got owned is because frankly this game is god damn hard. There is no shame in admitting I got owned by it and still do. The item synthesis system is perhaps one of the more complex ones out there from it's era in terms of gaming mechanics and there was little to no explanation in the game as to how to go about getting it right. However the game is still one of the best written and most enjoyable if frustratingly difficult in sections Square games I have ever had the pleasure of playing and still playing to this day.

Will you lose out by buying a 20 euro card for the PSN to purchase this? No, though the game is only 5 euros and it'd be a lot more convenient for you to pay just the 5 on a card I personally don't believe that there is NOTHING else anyone would want from the PSN or XBL when it comes to buying points/psn vouchers. Pretty much all modern gamers play at least one game which has DLC they could live without but wouldn't mind owning. I feel this way about Call of Duty Black Ops, sure when playing with my friends its fine playing on the normal core game maps but I wouldn't mind owning the map packs so that they could show me around the newer maps too.
    Thanks for the advice. I guess any missing info on battle/item systems can be looked up in faqs nowadays. And you're right about the PSN card. I just realised FFVI is in the shop, so that's where the remaining credit will probably go.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is a really damn hard game, though. Just saying.

I bought it maybe back in '03, and I give it a shot every few years, and I'm still terrible at it. Which is a shame, because the game world is fascinating to me.

Yes. Although I may have been better at it when I was younger. Easy games have made me lose my edge

Besides, you can always buy WipeOut HD and the Fury expansion with the extra credits. Best value for money ever and so awesome.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

If you think you would like the game conceptually and mechanically, there is no reason not to get it. It really is one of Squaresoft/SE's last great games. Some parts can be hard, but once you understand the weapons/attributes/affinities systems, it becomes much easier and much, much more satisfying. I just get an unhealthy amount of pleasure from running into a tough enemy and realizing 'I have been building just the right weapon to smurf precisely you up.'

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    If you think you would like the game conceptually and mechanically, there is no reason not to get it. It really is one of Squaresoft/SE's last great games. Some parts can be hard, but once you understand the weapons/attributes/affinities systems, it becomes much easier and much, much more satisfying. I just get an unhealthy amount of pleasure from running into a tough enemy and realizing 'I have been building just the right weapon to smurf precisely you up.'
    See, I really tried, but I never really understood the system all that well. I always had a few weapons that worked okay, but it was never really clear to me how to get great weapons for different situations. Items I found in the dungeons and stuff just never really seem to be all that effective, nor did I get a grasp on making them. Just seems like it was never explained in-game very well.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yep, get it. It's great. But also hard as balls, I certainly didn't understand what I was doing at first either.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I bought it months ago, and I still don't have an idea what I'm doing in the game. I should probably give it more of my time.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blog Entries

Worth getting if you can get it relatively cheap, but definitely not worth shelling out some extra cash for.

I think that it is quite frankly repetitive to put it mildly. Not only that, I remember every single location as being the same brownish, colorless, and boring, dungeon-sneaking, that I did not find too much joy in.

I have decided to accept the challenge and bought it. For my own safety I spent most of the first hour of gameplay reading the tips and guide provided in the menu.

One question though. In most RPG's if things get difficult you just grind some and get back to it. Isn't that an option in Vagrant Story?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I have decided to accept the challenge and bought it. For my own safety I spent most of the first hour of gameplay reading the tips and guide provided in the menu.

One question though. In most RPG's if things get difficult you just grind some and get back to it. Isn't that an option in Vagrant Story?
    Don't think there are levels in VS, so grinding isn't really helpful in that regard. You "level-up" attributes like max health, strength etc through wines. You can also get items.

However, it does get you items which you can use in the workshop to make better items. Weapons will also gain an affinity against a certain type of enemy if you kill the same type (hence why people tended to have certain weapons for certain creatures).

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post

Don't think there are levels in VS, so grinding isn't really helpful in that regard. You "level-up" attributes like max health, strength etc through wines. You can also get items.

However, it does get you items which you can use in the workshop to make better items. Weapons will also gain an affinity against a certain type of enemy if you kill the same type (hence why people tended to have certain weapons for certain creatures).
    Ah that explains some. Any more tips to help a VS noob out?

Watch your risk, because it affects both your accuracy and the affect magic has on you. When you chain, I think you can combine 7 chains without dramatically increasing risk, but thereafter, it rises dramatically.

If it was available on PS3, I'd buy it if I owned a PS3 and if I could convert my PS memory card data to PS3 readable data.